Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 07:17 PM

838 posts, read 3,096,109 times

Advertisements

Yeah. I remember a few years back I had a $300 haircut at Frederick Fekkai in Manhattan. I tipped $50, and I felt kinda cheap at the time. So I should have tipped $75, coldwine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by softdev View Post
I see they didn't teach you much math...or logic.

Let's see. An Applebees dinner (Sounds like you're familiar?) is what, $20? = $3 tip. My bill at Joe's last week was $250 + a $38 tip.

It's just so crazy how percentages work! The Joe's waiter made more even though you can get just as full at Applebees as you can at Joes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 07:18 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,749,100 times
On 10-minute massages that cost $10, we tip $2-3, so that's 20 - 30%. When people double up for a 20-minute chair massage, they ususally pay $25, so that's a 25% tip. So I think 20% or more is pretty normal.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:20 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,658,751 times
Quote:
I see they didn't teach you much math...or logic.

Let's see. An Applebees dinner (Sounds like you're familiar?) is what, $20? = $3 tip. My bill at Joe's last week was $250 + a $38 tip.

It's just so crazy how percentages work! The Joe's waiter made more even though you can get just as full at Applebees as you can at Joes!
You are just completely missing the point. If you parents didn't raise you correctly, there's no way I could teach you any differently.

You always tip 20% at a real restaurant. Why? Because the waiters provide skills above and beyond what you receive at a POS chain restaurant. They wait on you hand and foot, refill your wine whenever your glass is empty and the list goes on.

I pity the poor person who has to wait on you.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:22 PM

My 'rents taught me never to go to a restaurant where waiters are dressed better than u:P

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
You are just completely missing the point. If you parents didn't raise you correctly, there's no way I could teach you any differently.

You always tip 20% at a real restaurant. Why? Because the waiters provide skills above and beyond what you receive at a POS chain restaurant. They wait on you hand and foot, refill your wine whenever your glass is empty and the list goes on.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:24 PM

121 posts, read 322,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnparker View Post
Actually many a restaurant automatically add 20% tip to your final bill. I had dinner at Wakamono yesterday on Broadway in Lakeview with a couple of friends, and our bill came to be $132 ($100 for food, plus $10 tax, plus$22 tip). The restaurant took the liberty of deciding how much we should have tipped, regardless of the service quality, which was not that great at all. How interesting!
Interesting. Wife and I eat out almost every night in River North/Gold Coast and we only see mandatory tips (usually 15 or 18%) on parties of 6 or more.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:30 PM

Tips are also how you get to know people. Large tips are how you secure tables at the lunch rush at high end establishments. It's how you walk past the line at clubs. It's how the bartender hears your voice above all others. It's why the hair stylist always makes room for you at times you need. It's what tells the maitre'd that you always have your name down for dinner reservations.

Welcome to the big city, kids. You want good service, you gotta pay for it.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
The standard was 10% when my parents were growing up in the 60s. Probably not what you meant, but one thing my parents did raise me is to do was to be smart with my money. Overpaying someone for a standard service wasn't part of their values.

Quote:

And again, the food cost A LOT, an order of magnitude, more than a POS chain restaurant. The higher priced food is from not only the higher quality ingredients, but also the higher quality service. The waiter at Spiaggia makes a lot more dough than the waiter at Chiles.

I've never received a single complaint for my tip. I'm generally pretty easy going with my orders. And frankly, after 12-14 hour days, I'm too tired to do much more than eat and talk with my wife If you want to overtip to feel good about yourself or to bump fists with the waiter afterwards, good for you.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:38 PM

Actually the going rate for a 1 hr massage in Lincoln Park is $90 to start, and additional $10 to $50 for things such as Aromatheraphy and what not.

Massage places I have visited in LP are LP Massage Spa on Webster, LPAC on diversey, the body work and massage source ($85), Lincoln Park Day Spa ($100 for 50 minutes deep tissue)

Quote:
And this, ladies, is how we weed out the bad ones.

$25 for a $100 massage is perfectly acceptable.

Although I'd like to point out that most places only charge $60/hr for a massage. $400 is pretty high.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Although I'd like to point out that most places only charge $60/hr for a massage. $400 is pretty high.
LOL, $60/hr for a massage? Welcome to 1995. Welcome to the big city, kid.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:42 PM

Quote:
LOL, $60/hr for a massage? Welcome to 1995. Welcome to the big city, kid.
Honey if you're paying $100 for a 1 hour massage, you're not being sensible with your money. You're retarded.

Unless they came to my house I didn't pay that much for a massage even in Los Angeles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago