U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-04-2009, 01:25 PM

121 posts, read 211,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
I think its somewhat symptomatic of the changes in American society over the past few years. The wealthy have done very well economically while everyone else (including middle class) have seen their real purchasing power decrease. Plus lot of what we see in the media is aimed at the wealthy, thereby creating "aspirational angst" for the non-wealthy further widening the gap between what the middle class wants versus what it can afford.
More than just the wealthy are doing just fine, thank you very much. There's no "aspirational angst" here - only the motivation to do better to get to the next level.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 01:25 PM

3,628 posts, read 6,514,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
At least it has a major university, I suppose.
bahahahahahah.

yes, one that worships football rather than education.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:27 PM

1,967 posts, read 3,664,741 times
I spent 3 months once in Boulder, CO. It was the epitome of that, but I understand that since then it had become expensive.

Amherst and Northhampton, MA are very much that way.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:47 PM

10,301 posts, read 17,388,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
does this even exist anywhere anymore? at least in an actual city w/ all the typical city amenities like night life, decent public transportation, museums, etc (as opposed to the typical sprawl common in the South/SW)? maybe in an inner ring suburb that's close to a city w/ all that stuff, though even some of these may be too expensive to live that lifestyle
In a post-war suburb, being "cose to ammenities" means being within a short driving distance.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:48 PM

10,301 posts, read 17,388,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
bahahahahahah.

yes, one that worships football rather than education.
So you're saying it mirrors the values of our society?

Old 08-04-2009, 02:50 PM

15,589 posts, read 12,342,398 times
Speaking of football... How about we start a Chicago City-Data Forum Yahoo Fantasy League?

Who is in?

Old 08-04-2009, 02:55 PM

3,628 posts, read 6,514,083 times
Quote:
So you're saying it mirrors the values of our society?
unfortunately, yes.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:30 PM

35,926 posts, read 54,983,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
hah that's why I got a kick out of it because Knoxville is just so completely random and uninteresting comparatively.
And I think the point is that once you have kids, you better hope all of your cosmopolitan itches have been scratched, because you won't have time to get to them any more; at which point the differences in entertainment/nightlife/cultural amenities matter considerably less. Once you have kids, even "interesting" places become substantially less interesting. It's a major factor in making the near-necessity of fleeing to the suburbs more palatable.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:50 PM

487 posts, read 808,452 times
Quote:
I hear you. The typical middle class American life is supposed to include a house with a yard, good schools, a car in a garage, and access to ammenities like restaurants and entertainment. This lifestyle costs a LOT of money in a prime Chicago neighborhood like Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Roscoe Village, Lincoln Square, etc. Compromises are a must. Some choose to move out to the fringe like Norwood Park, but to me that compromises the urban lifestyle I've enjoyed on the north Lakefront. Others (like me) learn to live with less space, a small yard, and the prospect of private school tuition. And my wife and I feel like we would like the option to make less money in the future to spend more time with our kids. Once you buy into that Lincoln Park, etc. lifestyle, you can't get out of the rat race.
Which may be why the original poster considered moving to Phoenix. For me, when I was living in Lincoln Park, and then later the South Loop, I realized my wife and I wouldn't be able to maintain the lifestyle we enjoyed of the city of Chicago if we stayed in the city. We could move to the suburbs - but by the time we lived in, say, Northbrook, we figured we might as well be living in the much more affordable Phoenix - itself a suburb, really - and visit Chicago in the summer.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:11 PM

1,967 posts, read 3,664,741 times
One option is to do what LK suggests -- be more European about it, downsize seriously and live in a 1200 ft. two bedroom in on of the best neighborhoods in the heart of the city with two kids sharing a room, one small old car, maybe a 5x5 patio and much less junk overall. Maybe you can even get K-8 for free and just pay for high school. I half wish I would have tried it myself. It is very tight, though, and the kids really can't go outside unless you accompany them, u couldn't really have guests, etc. Even in Beverly I just open the door and the kids run around all day. I think life would be a lot harder without that luxury.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago