Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 12:55 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,417,573 times

Advertisements

^^I have a feeling that despite all of the astute comments you've made here over the months that from hence forth you'll be know only as the "$300,000 poster"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 01:23 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,045,823 times
My fate is sealed. I'm half expecting "Mike from back east" to shut me down at any moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
^^I have a feeling that despite all of the astute comments you've made here over the months that from hence forth you'll be know only as the "$300,000 poster"

Old 08-05-2009, 01:52 PM

12,385 posts, read 28,380,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I have about 1,200 square feet downtown here in Chicago and while sometimes I like having the space, sometimes I wish I just had a very well-planned place half the size. It'd be half as much space to keep clean ... :-)
Very good point... some of the buildings on smaller space are much better planned as far as used space. The place I had also had an additional storage area outside of the apartment. When I first moved I had about 900 sq foot space 2 bedroom w/ a long hall... But the 660 sq foot I had 1 bedroom actually felt more livable as it was designed very well. (in walled closets/weird closets/small but efficient kitchen/bathroom areas/large walk in closets along the wall, good transition from bedroom/bath/living space/cabinets running floor to cieling) Some of the efficiencies I have seen here in SF albeit small on the pure sq foot area, do not look like it once you see the designs of them.
Just the design of a place can make a HUGE difference. Same thing with proper furniture for the space.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:45 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,714,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanya1521 View Post
Does anyone have any ideas of a city that I can move to with my eight year old and newborn? I desire anywhere with no snow what-so-ever, and where teaching jobs are available with enough pay to survive. We are leaving summer of 2010. Other than those two things I am open to checking out new cities and finding our niche. We are a laid back go slow (unless it is neccessary to go fast) type of family. Help!!!! Get us out of CHICAGO!!!
Why are you asking in the Chicago forum?

Old 08-05-2009, 03:32 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,626,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Very good point... some of the buildings on smaller space are much better planned as far as used space. The place I had also had an additional storage area outside of the apartment. When I first moved I had about 900 sq foot space 2 bedroom w/ a long hall... But the 660 sq foot I had 1 bedroom actually felt more livable as it was designed very well. (in walled closets/weird closets/small but efficient kitchen/bathroom areas/large walk in closets along the wall, good transition from bedroom/bath/living space/cabinets running floor to cieling) Some of the efficiencies I have seen here in SF albeit small on the pure sq foot area, do not look like it once you see the designs of them.
Just the design of a place can make a HUGE difference. Same thing with proper furniture for the space.
It's my biggest complaint of the most recent construction boom. It left Chicago with an inventory of impossibly worthless space. Places designed not for families or singles who need less but more storage, just... these big, giant rooms!

Old 08-05-2009, 04:07 PM

75 posts, read 199,897 times
I never understood why you people are pouncing hard on the city. Then again, I guess I am not a native and I really enjoy Chicago versus where I am originally born and raised - Miami...

I truly believe people's disgust with the city is more or less based on their monotny moreso than being turned off by corruption, bad economy, etc...

Chicago is probably one of the better cities right now to live in in terms of economic prospects, home ownership, etc...People on this forum told me that it would take me 2 years to find jobs that are hiring and people that will call me, yet in less than 2 weeks of applying to gigs, I've gotten 3 calls thus far.

Life is what you make of it. If you love Chicago, holla! If you hate it, LEAVE! Plain and simple. Stop trying to make generalized extrapolations about other people's lives because yours is miserable.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:54 PM

12,385 posts, read 28,380,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
It's my biggest complaint of the most recent construction boom. It left Chicago with an inventory of impossibly worthless space. Places designed not for families or singles who need less but more storage, just... these big, giant rooms!
The West Loop is full of these... not sure if other areas are too... But all that converted stuff... ahhh... Why pay for that. A lot of those new loft stuff in lakeview/lp are also like this, remember seeing a bunch off N. Ashland as well.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:51 AM

300 posts, read 948,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synapse View Post
Which may be why the original poster considered moving to Phoenix. For me, when I was living in Lincoln Park, and then later the South Loop, I realized my wife and I wouldn't be able to maintain the lifestyle we enjoyed of the city of Chicago if we stayed in the city. We could move to the suburbs - but by the time we lived in, say, Northbrook, we figured we might as well be living in the much more affordable Phoenix - itself a suburb, really - and visit Chicago in the summer.
You are quite right. It takes a lot of money in Chicago to really enjoy yourself in my opinion. I lived in the City because of my job. Life is much more affordable in Phoenix and I can even afford a house now. Even though comparing Phoenix to Chicago is like comparing apple to oranges, I am looking forward to a more laid back life style.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:33 AM

20 posts, read 103,959 times
I'm leaving too! 16 years and its never felt like "home." While there are certain aspects of the city life I don't think you can get anywhere else... I also think the negatives outweigh the positives. For me, it's mostly the type of people that I just cannot get used to. Maybe I'm just a small-town/country girl at heart. Who knows. Either way... I'm packing up my car and moving to Alaska.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:44 AM

15,585 posts, read 27,427,270 times
Bye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago