Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 10:16 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,653,518 times

Advertisements

Funny reading this thread again. I wonder how long it was before that jcarlilesiu jasper got divorced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 10:29 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,841,506 times
Interesting thread; makes me eternally grateful that I've only attended a handful of weddings in my life, and the last one was about 22 years ago..

The OP was concerned about the amount of the gift ( $200) being on the low end; he needn't be, as that's a perfectly acceptable gift, especially since he wasn't part of the immediate family..

Too many people trying to turn a wedding into a contest..

Old 02-17-2011, 10:38 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,522,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Thanks for the feedback...

I thought $200 per couple but agree that is on the low end (I have always had to struggle against my own frugality ).... This is why I am looking for advice... I also haven't attended a city wedding for awhile (most of my friends are now married w/kids) so I'm not sure what "the going rate" is....

Would $300 (per couple) be appropriate or should I give $400? $500? Should I be much more generous since the groom is an employee (we also pay him bonuses)?
This isn't about a wedding; it's about your business. Give them (really him) a thousand. The word will quickly geet around your business. You'll get a hundred times return in worker performance.

Being frugal in advertising and promotion is not laudable; it's stupid. This is about your net return.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:50 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,291,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
This isn't about a wedding; it's about your business. Give them (really him) a thousand. The word will quickly geet around your business. You'll get a hundred times return in worker performance.

Being frugal in advertising and promotion is not laudable; it's stupid. This is about your net return.
or it will get around and every single employee that gets married (or has a baby shower) will expect $1K from you and will be PO f they don't get it.

not even quite sure what this comment has to do w/ the quoted comment. we're talking about weddings, not an advertising job

Old 02-17-2011, 03:23 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,956,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Originally Posted by [B
GoCUBS1[/b]
Thanks for the feedback...

I thought $200 per couple but agree that is on the low end (I have always had to struggle against my own frugality ).... This is why I am looking for advice... I also haven't attended a city wedding for awhile (most of my friends are now married w/kids) so I'm not sure what "the going rate" is....

Would $300 (per couple) be appropriate or should I give $400? $500? Should I be much more generous since the groom is an employee (we also pay him bonuses)?
Dang! I am honestly shocked that someone would think $200 from a couple is on the low end for a wedding gift! I got married in 2009 and only got one or two gifts of that amount or more; from my husband's grandparents, my uncle (the rich one, $328, cause our wedding date was 3-28, and it was from him, my aunt, and cousin), and maybe we got one other gift of more than $200, I'm not really sure if we did.

People are so crazy about weddings. We has a relatively fancy wedding, but it was WAY cheaper than any of our guests would have thought due to the insane amount of DIY stuff I did. I spent about $11k total, which for a wedding in Chicago is on the low end. We didn't even use real flowers; I made all the flowers out of a special clay (which took forever). I made every item I possibly could: invitations, place cards, favors, center pieces, save the date cards, etc. Nothing that could be made was bought so I could stay on budget (and I like crafty stuff).

Seriously though, the gifts were not what we cared about. I wanted a frickin' fun party, and that's what we had. I didn't give our guests tons of dinner options (in fact, they had none; although we did vegetarian and whatever for people with allergies) or anything like that. My priorities were decently good food, open bar, and a fun DJ.

I honestly think the gift a person gives should reflect their financial means and their relaltionship with the couple. When someone I know gets married I gift them a gift I think they will appreciate and that makes sense. Of course, I actually thought giving a gift of $200 was generous, so apparently I am clueless. If I hardly know them, then the gift probably isn't as big (or I won't go). Why do people get so caught up on this stuff? I'm not gonna go broke to attend someone's wedding and wouldn't expect anyone else to, either. If a wedding is so lavish that $200 doesn't cover my dinner there, I really don't care that much; they made the decision to have that wedding. I didn't expect guests to fund my wedding, why should I fund theirs?

Weddings are a party, people! They are about fun, not money and gifts and what you're eating.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:50 PM

190 posts, read 402,838 times
Hilarious thread but great points. For reference' sake I got married in June 08 in downtown Chicago at a museum. The wedding cost about 45k, paid for by myself and hubby. Though we are a bit older, late 30's so could afford it. Smaller wedding, 90 people. Point of my post is this was considered a very nice wedding but our average "cash" gift was between $100-$150 per person. There were a few that gave quite a bit more but for the most part I think that the $100-$150 is still pretty typical. And at our very nice wedding we did have a couple of people who did not give a gift at all. Single guys who just do not know any better

Old 02-17-2011, 05:12 PM

3,485 posts, read 3,104,429 times
$200 seems absolutely appropriate/generous. No reason to sweat about it any further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: