Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 02:06 AM

4,111 posts, read 9,012,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
This can happen in any neighborhood or even some suburbs. The chance of it happening are higher in Humboldt Park. What is your budget and where do you want to live?
What? Getting mugged? That can happen outside a gas station in the shticks if you're unlucky enough.

A cokehead can mug you in a rich suburban neighborhood. My cousin's ex-boyfriend got arrested for robbing a convenience store in "zero crime" Bumfuk, Indiana.

You are more likely to be a victim of crime in a place like Humboldt Park. But I'm just saying that it can happen anywhere.

Last edited by urza216; 10-31-2010 at 02:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 02:26 AM

12 posts, read 38,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
What? Getting mugged? That can happen outside a gas station in the shticks if you're unlucky enough.

A cokehead can mug you in a rich suburban neighborhood. My cousin's ex-boyfriend got arrested for robbing a convenience store in "zero crime" Bumfuk, Indiana.

You are more likely to be a victim of crime in a place like Humboldt Park. But I'm just saying that it can happen anywhere.

Yea.. i donno i havent had a good experience with Humboldt Park.. loud music at night, fights around my house, gun shots almost every night, constant police involvment. and like you guys said this is only east side of the park.. west side is much worse

Old 10-31-2010, 07:14 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,871,213 times
What are you waiting for?? Start looking for a new place to live. Get somewhere safer immediately. The stuff you are describing does not happen very much in the safer areas. True you can still be a victim of a crime but the stats are more in your favor.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:42 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,287,460 times
really, gun shots every night?

I lived in East Humboldt Park, a few blocks further west but still east of the park and I can count on one hand the number of times I heard gun shots over the course of 16 months. I didn't hear many fights, though during the summer, I did hear plenty of loud conversations while people were having outdoor parties. as for loud music, yes, there's plenty of that, but good luck moving to an area w/ lots of college kids. I live in Roscoe Village and one of my neighbors likes to blast music at night.

I also lived in West Humboldt Park. yes, it's rough, but no daily gunshots. sketchy people galore, but no daily gunshots ( I think I heard more gun shots in EHP than WHP but that could easily be explained by the Puerto Rican festival in the park)

anyways, different strokes for different folks I guess. if the area makes you so uncomfortable, more. just realize that loud arguments and music can be found almost anywhere in the city, esp. in safer areas w/ a large college student population. if you're looking to avoid those, I'd maybe move to somewhere like Jefferson Park or some other suburban-like area of Chicago w/ mostly older adults/families.

ETA: you STILL haven't told us your budget. saying you make 45K/year doesn't tell us how much you can budget for housing

Old 10-31-2010, 11:36 AM

2,299 posts, read 6,151,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
This can happen in any neighborhood or even some suburbs...
Really? I mean technically it's true, but the odds are somewhere around a million to one in neighborhoods like Mt. Greenwood or Edison Park.

Old 10-31-2010, 03:04 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,427,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
...I lived in East Humboldt Park, a few blocks further west but still east of the park and I can count on one hand the number of times I heard gun shots over the course of 16 months...

I also lived in West Humboldt Park. yes, it's rough, but no daily gunshots. sketchy people galore, but no daily gunshots ( I think I heard more gun shots in EHP than WHP but that could easily be explained by the Puerto Rican festival in the park)...
The Humboldt Park "community area" is in the top 5 for murders each of the last 2 years I believe (just like the old days) and most of those murders were by gunshot(s).

So just because you did not hear them does not mean people were not getting injured or killed.

Old 10-31-2010, 03:36 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,287,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
The Humboldt Park "community area" is in the top 5 for murders each of the last 2 years I believe (just like the old days) and most of those murders were by gunshot(s).

So just because you did not hear them does not mean people were not getting injured or killed.
never said they weren't, I'm just doubting the "everyday" thing. again, I doubt gunshots were going off daily/every other day but then again, I typically sleep 6-8 hours and am outside the area 4-8 hours a day, so maybe people were popping off gun then. didn't bother me.

I can say that my roommates and I came close to signing off on 3 different apartments in the area bordered by Western, North, California, and Division and all 3 apparently rented out w/in 2 weeks, so there are some people moving into the area (going by this minor example), which likely wouldn't be so if guns were going off daily or even multiple times a week. no one is doubting it's a rough area and not suitable to all, but it's not a war zone, at least the eastern part of it

as a side note, seriously OP, don't let any conversations here influence you. if you don't like it and you aren't tied down to a lease, there's NOTHING stopping you from moving out and finding a more suitable location. not sure what you're looking for in this thread...

Old 10-31-2010, 04:09 PM

180 posts, read 376,098 times
I didn't know people with college degrees were allowed to live in Humboldt Park.

You claim to earn $45k/year and you're living in the ****ing ghetto. Why?

Old 10-31-2010, 04:13 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,427,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT28107 View Post
I didn't know people with college degrees were allowed to live in Humboldt Park.

You claim to earn $45k/year and you're living in the ****ing ghetto. Why?
Some people can't budget their money well preferring to party and fritter it away.

Of course, some people have huge loan amounts to pay off from going to college.

And some are a combination of both.

Then there are others that are saving money by living in crap or iffy neighborhoods.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:10 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,954,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
never said they weren't, I'm just doubting the "everyday" thing. again, I doubt gunshots were going off daily/every other day but then again, I typically sleep 6-8 hours and am outside the area 4-8 hours a day, so maybe people were popping off gun then. didn't bother me.
I've had the same experience. Maybe I'm just totally oblivious, but I have been living on Campbell between Hirsh and Potomac for 3 years now and haven't had any experiences like what many people have posted here. I haven't noticed any gunshots and I have no trouble getting sleep due to neighborhood noise. The only exception to the noise is the first 4th of July I lived on that block (in 2008) there were a TON of fireworks and they kept me up.

The worst we have experienced has been petty property crime. Some idiot broke one of our basement windows, which set off the alarm, and he/she/they ran off. Nothing was stolen. The only other incident was someone breaking into our garage. He was clearly high at the time. He did it at 9:00 on a Saturday and was caught by the police in the act. He got away with my husband's MP3 player, but that's it. Both of those things happened over a year ago now.

As for no one with a degree living in HP, well, that's just not true. My husband and I have the means to live wherever we want to in Chicago or the suburbs. We found a house we loved in HP and we're content where we are. We could sell it and move, but we're not doing that. We had just as many crime incidents living in the nice part of Evanston as we have in HP anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago