Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 06:57 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,413,441 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Chicago soon, and wondering what paperwork I have to gather for a future landlord?

For my last apartment in San Francisco, I had to gather all of this before the apartment management company would consider me for a lease.....

1) Credit report
2) Letter of good standing from my current landlord
3) Letter from my employer stating confirming my job
4) A copy of my bank statement (!)

This was a pain... and seemed ridiculous to me.

What is the deal in Chicago? I am hoping I don't need all of this...

Thanks for your help. You guys have been really helpful. I am going to most likely be looking for apartments in the Streeterville/River North area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 07:10 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,960,836 times
it depends from landlord to landlord. Almost all of them will have you fill out a credit app and rental history. Most credit apps include banking info and employer info so you dont need a bunch of forms. Everytime Ive rented a place thats all ive done.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:09 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,247,610 times
Actually, Chicago was one of the easier cities to rent in. We just had to fill out an application and they ran a credit report (I also had one place that didn't require anything but a deposit)

Old 05-03-2009, 08:04 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,413,441 times
Thank you long101 and jessiegirl!

Old 05-18-2009, 04:02 PM

20 posts, read 67,018 times
I'll be renting an apartment for 7/1 and wanted to ask how common income requirements are for apartment rentals. I've run into one place that has such req'ts and will require a cosignor. Bit embarassing to have to ask my parents to cosign at this point/age but I'm willing to do so, if absolutely necessary.

Also, and I've tried some googling to get this info but haven't across it yet, do most apartments in the city convert to month-to-month rentals once the initial lease period has expired? or is it more common for landlords to require you to resign the lease/sign a new one? Do tenants have to give notice by the 10th of the month? The City of Chicago Residential Landlord and Tenant Ordinance Summary didn't really answer this for me. ?

Old 05-18-2009, 04:19 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,960,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsunnedSnow View Post
I'll be renting an apartment for 7/1 and wanted to ask how common income requirements are for apartment rentals. I've run into one place that has such req'ts and will require a cosignor. Bit embarassing to have to ask my parents to cosign at this point/age but I'm willing to do so, if absolutely necessary.

Also, and I've tried some googling to get this info but haven't across it yet, do most apartments in the city convert to month-to-month rentals once the initial lease period has expired? or is it more common for landlords to require you to resign the lease/sign a new one? Do tenants have to give notice by the 10th of the month? The City of Chicago Residential Landlord and Tenant Ordinance Summary didn't really answer this for me. ?
Every place I have rented has required to show proof of income. I cant really see a place not asking for this... So if you dont have an income or quite a bit in savings you will have an issue.

That will vary from lanlord to lanlord. Most lanlords would like to have you sign a new lease so they have a secured rental for the next xx months. However if they are unable to secure a rental or for whatever reasons a month to month is can happen.

Im not sure about that it has never said anything in my leases about notice. Personally I always give 30-45 days to be kind.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:26 PM

20 posts, read 67,018 times
I'm coming from a smaller rental market so I'm not surprised that there is a bit more documentation required here. Actually, I've found a few places that require only a credit check- no income verification- and only a very small move-in fee, but I sort of take this as a bad sign; would rather live in a place that screens people a bit more vigorously, even if it creates extra paperwork for me!
Interesting about giving notice earlier. In my current state, notice isn't required until 20 days before and for the most part people follow this to the day. I've also never had to renew a lease, nor known anyone who had to- always just switches to month-to-month. But, very much looking forward to this move and can't want to have the apartment situation all figured out!

Old 05-18-2009, 08:34 PM

295 posts, read 837,892 times
Most management companies and brokers working with private owners will ask for (or at least my company does):

1. Credit report
2. Verification of employment/income
3. Previous landlord history

Typically, to get apporved for an apartment, you need to make 3x's the rent in gross income. For example, if your rent is $1,200, your monthly income should be at least $3,600. If not, then most reputable management companies will require a cosigner. If you cannot produce a cosigner, be willing to offer more than a month's security deposit or the first 2 to 6 month's rent and/or a bank statement of savings.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:02 PM

60 posts, read 127,695 times
So what if I've never rented before and don't have recommendations from previous landlords? Do I need personal/professional references?

Old 08-10-2009, 09:05 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,445,564 times
^^a parent with a good credit score to co-sign on the lease might also help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago