Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 09:51 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,151,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
I'm afraid I don't understand. What sort of order could Obama give that would suddenly make gangbangers stop shooting people?
Nothing Obama says will make a difference. I'm having a difficult time putting my thoughts into words, but really, do you think those people committing these heinous shootings feel that they are any closer to the, for lack of a better term, 'american dream,' simply because the US head of state is not an old white guy? No, they don't. Their reality hasn't changed. Their neighborhoods haven't changed. They are in the same position now they were in under Bush. So, why should they change their actions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 09:56 AM

863 posts, read 2,779,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
i think it's "stop, guys. Seriously."

but said behind a presidential podium, it has a much more powerful affect.
lol!!

Old 08-11-2009, 10:16 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,085,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
It might be powerful but wouldn't change anything. He knows that. It is probably why he doesn't say it.
What if he snaps his fingers after he says it?

Old 08-11-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
What if he snaps his fingers after he says it?
Do you mean snap his fingers "In Living Color"-style or just a regular ol' finger snap?

Old 08-11-2009, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyeINIL View Post
Do you mean snap his fingers Living Color-style or just a regular ol' finger snap?
Obama's too cool for that. Regular style finger snap. Joe Biden, however, may stand behind him with the full In Living Color snap for added emphasis.

After that, no one in a poorly researched Guardian web piece can say he didn't try.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Obama's too cool for that. Regular style finger snap. Joe Biden, however, may stand behind him with the full In Living Color snap for added emphasis.

After that, no one in a poorly researched Guardian web piece can say he didn't try.
Note to self: Never drink beverages whilst reading jdiddy's posts.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:22 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,062,255 times
I'm guess I missed that this took a sarcastic turn at some point. Please, use the emoticons!

Old 08-11-2009, 10:29 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,951,116 times
Quote:
Thank you for this post. I enjoyed watching the video.

I thought the guy interviewed at the beginning made two inaccurate statements: that Obama's home is the "epicenter" of the violence. That shows a lack of understanding of CHicago. Hyde Park is more the edge if anything, certainly not the epicenter. Also, that all Obama had to do is say "I don't want it to happen anymore" and it would go away. that latter comment seemed hopeless naive to me. How do other (non-trolls) feel?
Completely naive, like Obama has a magic wand he can just wave to make the violence stop. He may have promised everyone else everything else in the world, but even he never promised to be able to do that.

Also, I find it strange how the Guardian acts as though they've hit on something new and present it as a growing epidemic when this has been going on for decades and has actually improved significantly over the years.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:32 AM

49 posts, read 99,785 times
Default Nice piece,

I personally believe if Obama address the youth violence at length similar to the speech regarding race during his campaign in 08, we would see measurable results. Many youth look up to those they perceive to have accomplished things and/or been through their experience. That’s why Ceasefire has had some success, an OG’s words carries a lot of weight (yes Obama is the ultimate OG).

By no means will it shut off all violence, but it most likely would prevent those marginal individuals that can literal fall on either side of the law.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
I'm guess I missed that this took a sarcastic turn at some point. Please, use the emoticons!
Yeah, sorry. I know emoticons are useful in forums like this, but I can't stand 'em. If you get when I'm being sarcastic, great. If not, well, eventually you will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago