U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 05:07 PM

15,589 posts, read 13,253,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
???
It was a joke relating to some comments Coldwine has made in the recent past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 05:25 PM

5,263 posts, read 8,270,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
It was a joke relating to some comments Coldwine has made in the recent past.
Ah, I figured it was something like that. On a more serious note, vast parts of Chicago (NW and SW in particular) are composed of neighborhoods full of SFHs. Lot of them are cheap (often for good reason.)

Old 08-16-2009, 07:11 PM

60 posts, read 98,797 times
Bridgeport. Has all the amenities and not nearly the cost as SFH on the North side. Going a bit farther, by train, try Beverly.

Old 08-16-2009, 07:23 PM

170 posts, read 339,759 times
I fail to see how wanting "the city life" requires the purchase of a one bedroom apartment and nothing more, when the city is totally filled with a huge mix of SFHs and multi bed condos and apartments. Yeah, they're expensive, but someone can have the life the city provides while residing in a house (with the possibility of a bit of a yard, nonetheless.) Are these homes not part of the city?

Old 08-16-2009, 07:29 PM

36,588 posts, read 57,867,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfindude View Post
Bridgeport. Has all the amenities and not nearly the cost as SFH on the North side. Going a bit farther, by train, try Beverly.
This is your best answer, but you're still looking at a minimum $300K for a habitable SFH in Bridgeport, and you'll probably have a postage stamp for a yard.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:28 PM

10,679 posts, read 18,265,915 times
No $150K houses in Bridgeport or Beverly. Not even close.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:36 PM

2,187 posts, read 3,398,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
No $150K houses in Bridgeport or Beverly. Not even close.
Very true

When I was still married, we were looking into Beverly. Most decent houses in Beverly (and East Beverly) were $250K and up. Most of the roomier ones were $350K.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:30 AM

2,778 posts, read 5,473,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I'm one of those people. Maybe they have kids. Live with kids in a condo for a week, and you'll have a different opinion.
That doesn't make much sense to me, not as an option. Schools are better in the suburbs and to such a material degree as to change anyone's opinion. And just as well, because that's where the SFH are.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:09 AM

1,967 posts, read 3,804,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
That doesn't make much sense to me, not as an option. Schools are better in the suburbs and to such a material degree as to change anyone's opinion. And just as well, because that's where the SFH are.
It isn't the most obvious choice but it isn't totally illogical. If you like to make use of the city's amenities on a daily basis, most (not all, but most) suburbs are too far, so you split the difference and live a few miles out where you can afford the space you need but are still in striking distance.

For quite a few there is also the residency requirement.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:29 AM

4,933 posts, read 8,691,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
I'm astounded by the people who want to move to Chicago for "city life" but still want to live in a single family home.

Buy a freaking one bedroom apartment and shut up already. What is it with these inane searches?
Honestly, I'd be perfectly happy in a one bedroom apartment or condo, especially if I was single and with no pets. But, I have a wife and a dog and my wife prefers living in a SFH. We both like city life though due to public transportation, diversity, amenities, etc. Does that make you less astounded?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago