Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 08:19 PM

60 posts, read 162,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
The Palmer House just went through a major rehab of the interior rooms and restoration of the facade. It is a old hotel, but its is very classy.

Hilton Chicago Illinois Hotel - Palmer House Hotel - Chicago, IL Hotels

"...embarked on a $170 million renovation that included upgrading about 1,000 of the hotel’s rooms..."

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/26/re...al/26sqft.html

If you are doing many touristy things I would stay in the Loop or close to it. Staying near or on the Mag Mile would not make any sense. (Especially if you are not going to do much shopping.)

Btw: The suggestion of staying in Schaumburg is beyond comprehension.
Last thing first. If one want's to do a lot of shopping at one place, a mall, Schaumburg IS a good choice. Plus, every major hotel chain is there, AND, they all have (good ones anyhow) shuttles to the buses to dt, or to O'Hare, where one can take an el in.

Also, for those not familiar with the area, such as folks from Hawaii, down-town, and North Mich are really only very short blocks apart. The Hilton is probably the farthest from N. Mich, and also from dt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 08:49 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfindude View Post
Last thing first. If one want's to do a lot of shopping at one place, a mall, Schaumburg IS a good choice. Plus, every major hotel chain is there, AND, they all have (good ones anyhow) shuttles to the buses to dt, or to O'Hare, where one can take an el in.

Also, for those not familiar with the area, such as folks from Hawaii, down-town, and North Mich are really only very short blocks apart. The Hilton is probably the farthest from N. Mich, and also from dt.
1) A) YEAH Woodfield is fine if the people actually are going to be doing a lot of shopping and that is all. The OP stated they ARE NOT going to be shopping that much. So why are you bringing up shopping in Schaumburg REPEATEDLY???
B)The OP stated she is going to be doing many tourist things. I have no idea how you think staying in Schaumburg is conducive to doing tourist
things that are primarily located in and around downtown Chicago or deep in the city. I do not know about you but when most people talk about doing tourist things in Chicago I think: Art Institute,Sears Towers,Water Tower,riding a CTA train around the Loop,Wrigley Field,Solider Field,Shedd Aquarium,etc. not Medieval Times and Woodfield Mall. You honestly would recommend to someone that is flying a few thousand miles to Chicago to stay in the capitol of bore called Schaumburg???? They are coming to do things in Chicago not the domain of the mundane Schaumburg.

2) The Palmer House Hilton is located at 17 East Monroe. The hotel is HUGE. One of the entrances is on Wabash. Wabash is A BLOCK AWAY from Michigan Ave. If you think Monroe and Wabash is not downtown Chicago I have no idea what to tell you. The Palmer House is a half mile south of the beginning of stores on North Michigan Ave. In fact the Ambassador East Hotel‎ is just as far away from the Mag Mile as the Palmer House is.

P.S. Why are you talking about the Hilton? I am talking about the Palmer House not the Hilton on S. Michigan Ave.

Stop smokin' those joints Spicolli.
You do not seem much more familiar with the area than someone from Hawaii.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 08-21-2009 at 09:08 PM..

Old 08-21-2009, 09:53 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Personally, the Palmer House Hilton is NOT one of my favorites. The lobby and public areas are phenomenal but the rooms (even though remodeled) are smaller than average and some rooms lack windows.

In addition, some of the most aggressive panhandlers in Chicago inhabit the corner of Monroe and Wabash.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:54 PM

60 posts, read 162,985 times
Quote:
1) A) YEAH Woodfield is fine if the people actually are going to be doing a lot of shopping and that is all. The OP stated they ARE NOT going to be shopping that much. So why are you bringing up shopping in Schaumburg REPEATEDLY???
B)The OP stated she is going to be doing many tourist things. I have no idea how you think staying in Schaumburg is conducive to doing tourist
things that are primarily located in and around downtown Chicago or deep in the city. I do not know about you but when most people talk about doing tourist things in Chicago I think: Art Institute,Sears Towers,Water Tower,riding a CTA train around the Loop,Wrigley Field,Solider Field,Shedd Aquarium,etc. not Medieval Times and Woodfield Mall. You honestly would recommend to someone that is flying a few thousand miles to Chicago to stay in the capitol of bore called Schaumburg???? They are coming to do things in Chicago not the domain of the mundane Schaumburg.

2) The Palmer House Hilton is located at 17 East Monroe. The hotel is HUGE. One of the entrances is on Wabash. Wabash is A BLOCK AWAY from Michigan Ave. If you think Monroe and Wabash is not downtown Chicago I have no idea what to tell you. The Palmer House is a half mile south of the beginning of stores on North Michigan Ave. In fact the Ambassador East Hotel‎ is just as far away from the Mag Mile as the Palmer House is.

P.S. Why are you talking about the Hilton? I am talking about the Palmer House not the Hilton on S. Michigan Ave.

Stop smokin' those joints Spicolli.
You do not seem much more familiar with the area than someone from Hawaii.

Jesus Christ, chill out. Did you see the post about winter clothes? Others have mentioned the Hilton, I know exactly where the Palmer House is, probably been in it a 100 times. I also know the Ambassador East, which is not all that close to N. Mich ave. Been there dozens of times, including the Pump Room a few times. Walking from the Palmer House to N. Mich ave at the river is no more than a 10 min walk. You make it sound like they should pack a lunch for the trip. From Mich and Oak to the Palmer house, or for that matter, the Hilton, is only about an hour walk tops. Oh, and the trip in from Schaumburg is probably not more than an hour on the bus/train. So relax. Go out and get something to drink, and let it go.

Btw, I worked in the 1st & 18th Dist, as well as Cabrini and the Det Division for 30 years. Don't tell me I don't know the area. I know the streets, the alleys, and just about every character in-between.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Jesus Christ, chill out. Did you see the post about winter clothes? Others have mentioned the Hilton...So relax. Go out and get something to drink, and let it go.

Btw, I worked...
Alright. I apologize. I think we were speaking on different levels.

You confused me with some of your wording and the fact that you only quoted my post.

Chalk it up to misunderstanding.

I'm sure my Spicolli reference really pissed you off.

Old 08-22-2009, 03:17 AM

15 posts, read 53,336 times
Quote:
This is a fabulous thing to do. Plus, the hot mulled wine will sure warm you up.
As far as Priceline, check out the below to see what prices people get. Don't be afraid to use priceline bidding. We have had great luck with it.
biddingfortravel.com
If it's as cold as some say it can be, I'm sure we'll need a lot more than wine to warm us up. We are clueless to "cold". The bidding prices look pretty good, however, we'll pay at least $600-$800 on a flight alone if we book separately.

Quote:
As far as winter clothing, really,wait till you get here. Every store will have it on sale. I like Eddie Bauer or Land End, or LL Bean, for that matter, but their catalogs will certainly be for full price.
I considered it, it would be less to pack and less shipping since we've done online ordering. I'm just a little concerned with freezing our arses off from the airport to hotel, hotel to store, ya know?

Quote:
If you are doing many touristy things I would stay in the Loop or close to it. Staying near or on the Mag Mile would not make any sense. (Especially if you are not going to do much shopping.)

Btw: The suggestion of staying in Schaumburg is beyond comprehension.
Thanks for the links in regards to the Palmer House Hilton. Still weighing our options, who knew it'd be this difficult to choose a hotel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Yes, indeed! Its forty degrees outside (usually) and like a summer festival.
I can't wait!

Quote:
Man, you weren't there the days I was.
LOL!

Quote:
Last thing first. If one want's to do a lot of shopping at one place, a mall, Schaumburg IS a good choice.
So, do you think it's considered far to people who live in Chicago. I'm a walker and don't mind walking a few blocks. I'll walk 20 blocks on my lunch break plus get a little shopping done. BUT, that's 20 blocks in great weather, not sure if I'll be too big on the idea of walking that distance in such cold weather.

Quote:
B)The OP stated she is going to be doing many tourist things. I do not know about you but when most people talk about doing tourist things in Chicago I think: Art Institute,Sears Towers,Water Tower,riding a CTA train around the Loop,Wrigley Field,Solider Field,Shedd Aquarium,etc. not Medieval Times and Woodfield Mall.

Yes, those are some of the touristy things we're planning on! So, is the Palmer House and Palmer House Hilton two different places?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Personally, the Palmer House Hilton is NOT one of my favorites. The lobby and public areas are phenomenal but the rooms (even though remodeled) are smaller than average and some rooms lack windows.

In addition, some of the most aggressive panhandlers in Chicago inhabit the corner of Monroe and Wabash.
Hmmmm...thanks for the tips!

Quote:
I also know the Ambassador East, which is not all that close to N. Mich ave. Been there dozens of times, including the Pump Room a few times. Walking from the Palmer House to N. Mich ave at the river is no more than a 10 min walk. You make it sound like they should pack a lunch for the trip. From Mich and Oak to the Palmer house, or for that matter, the Hilton, is only about an hour walk tops. Oh, and the trip in from Schaumburg is probably not more than an hour on the bus/train. So relax. Go out and get something to drink, and let it go.
Thanks for your input.

*sigh* We've still got lots to plan. Looks like prices went up from this morning, guess I'll check again at the middle of next week. Y'all have been wonderful, I appreciate all the assistance! I'll give an update when we decide which hotel to stay at.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808Jen View Post
...Yes, those are some of the touristy things we're planning on! So, is the Palmer House and Palmer House Hilton two different places? ...
No the Palmer House and the Palmer House Hilton are the same hotel.

The Palmer House and the Chicago Hilton on south Michigan Ave are two different places.

Hilton Chicago Illinois - Downtown Chicago Hotel - Chicago, IL Hotels

Hilton Chicago Illinois Hotel - Palmer House Hotel - Chicago, IL Hotels

Old 08-22-2009, 10:13 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
To clarify once more: the distance from the touristy stuff like Navy Pier and the Art Institute and the Field Museum and the Adler Planetarium and Soldier Field and the SUBURBS would SUCK. I think it is clear that a four-five day trip to Chicago would be a total waste NOT to stay downtown.

If one wants to walk to the Bears Game in DECEMBER the BEST HOTEL to do this from is the Hyatt at McCormick Place. A close second would be the Chicago Hilton at 720 SOUTH Michigan. An acceptable choice north of Congress is the Palmer House Hilton. Of these the Chicago Hilton is probably the best choice for most activities on the Museum Campus, but there are other choices that are nearly as good. The key is that quite literally with every block you go west of Wabash and North of the river you add time and hassle to the trip to the point where you pretty much MUST rely on a taxi OR get on bus that is can be crowded and unreliable as well as notoriously confusing to those unfamiliar with Chicago's incoherent route numbers...

It is one thing to spend an extended time in Chicago, but for a brief trip, focused around the Bear-Packers game I think the "ultimate fan experience" is best experienced in another big hotel and some boutiquey place that might have a bunch of people spending a spa weekend and shopping at Nordstroms/NiemanMarcus/et cetera...

Old 08-23-2009, 12:27 AM

3,697 posts, read 4,996,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
To clarify once more: the distance from the touristy stuff like Navy Pier and the Art Institute and the Field Museum and the Adler Planetarium and Soldier Field and the SUBURBS would SUCK. I think it is clear that a four-five day trip to Chicago would be a total waste NOT to stay downtown.

If one wants to walk to the Bears Game in DECEMBER the BEST HOTEL to do this from is the Hyatt at McCormick Place. A close second would be the Chicago Hilton at 720 SOUTH Michigan. An acceptable choice north of Congress is the Palmer House Hilton. Of these the Chicago Hilton is probably the best choice for most activities on the Museum Campus, but there are other choices that are nearly as good. The key is that quite literally with every block you go west of Wabash and North of the river you add time and hassle to the trip to the point where you pretty much MUST rely on a taxi OR get on bus that is can be crowded and unreliable as well as notoriously confusing to those unfamiliar with Chicago's incoherent route numbers...

It is one thing to spend an extended time in Chicago, but for a brief trip, focused around the Bear-Packers game I think the "ultimate fan experience" is best experienced in another big hotel and some boutiquey place that might have a bunch of people spending a spa weekend and shopping at Nordstroms/NiemanMarcus/et cetera...
I would second that. The burbs are too far from downtown. Instead of shuttling to the blue line and riding they could just walk outside their hotel. Now if you were doing an extended stay of two to three weeks then perhaps it might make sense to book at a cheaper hotel in the burbs, but I would choose a place downtown.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:23 AM

3,697 posts, read 4,996,285 times
Quote:
If it's as cold as some say it can be, I'm sure we'll need a lot more than wine to warm us up. We are clueless to "cold". The bidding prices look pretty good, however, we'll pay at least $600-$800 on a flight alone if we book separately.

I considered it, it would be less to pack and less shipping since we've done online ordering. I'm just a little concerned with freezing our arses off from the airport to hotel, hotel to store, ya know?
One of the biggest problems weather wise in Chicago and to a lesser extent December is the fact that it could be anywhere from 20 to 70.
Normally it is in the 40ies, but our weather can both be colder or warmer than usual. I would suggest that you carry a heavy jacket just in case it isn't freezing your rear off weather. Also when choosing a coat I would suggest something that extends down to the thighs. Down is a good insulator. If you are a lady, I would suggest a pair of boots.

A heavy jacket combined with hat and gloves in December could give you enough insulation to make it to a store to buy a coat. You might get very cold but odds are you wont be in any danger of frostbite if the weather is in the 40ies. December is about the time when the locals unpack their winter coats(esp. the last week or two of it).

Quote:
So, do you think it's considered far to people who live in Chicago. I'm a walker and don't mind walking a few blocks. I'll walk 20 blocks on my lunch break plus get a little shopping done. BUT, that's 20 blocks in great weather, not sure if I'll be too big on the idea of walking that distance in such cold weather.
One of the great things about downtown is that there are plenty cabs to be had. It might get expensive, but if you just can't take the cold you can catch one or you can ride one for the short distance to the field. Another thing to mention is that the area is extremely well served by public transit. Finally, unless you packed very lightly I would use the airport shuttle to the hotel rather than use public transit there. The hassle of lugging luggage via the el is not worth it.

Long distances in cold is not fun for locals. Although honestly it really doesn't get into the category very bad until it temperature dips bellow freezing. Granted December isn't Chicago at it's worse but to walk long distances in cold you kinda have to know how to layer. Too much and you will sweat then get cold. Too little and the wind will rob your warmth. Most people are still walking about in December but we are kind of used to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago