U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 06:38 PM

10,848 posts, read 15,003,530 times

Advertisements

Good idea. They just had a thing on a new Insurance on tv a few miniutes earlier on PBS. I believe it s life insurance plus long term health care policy and it earns dividends. What you do not use is returned. Now cost was quoted, but it left the impression it wouldn't cost more than $2K per month. .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 08:12 PM

5,308 posts, read 4,527,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
Harvard Square = Hyde Park
Kenmore Sq. = Wrigleyville
Back Bay = Lincoln Park
Central Sq. = Old Town
Jamaica Plain = Logan Sq.
Grove Hall = Englewood
Brookline = Andersonville
Somerville = Beverly
Southie = Bridgeport

Done. This thread may now be closed.

(man, I really missed out on that life insurance thing. I gotta start doing that)
As a Boston/Cambridge resident, and a frequent Chicago visitor, this is quite accurate....

One could also say that Cambridge = Evanston, on the whole....
Also, Charlestown/Southie = Bridgeport..

Old 05-26-2010, 07:06 AM

8 posts, read 15,610 times
Thank you so much MassVT and Attrill for the comparisons, now I can relate.. :-)

Anyone from Boston knows every city you two listed.. I just printed it out to keep as a guide.

Old 05-30-2010, 07:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,163 times
I realize that I'm replying rather late in the game as we are about to embark on the reverse adventure - Chicago to Boston. I would agree that Chicago is a beautiful city but that one could make the comparison between anything in Chicago or its suburbs to the East Coast is absurd. It is a completely different animal. The only area that even remotely resembles a Brookline is Lake View this happens to coincide with the Nettlehorst Elementary School of which I've heard very good things. Diversity, which in many ways is taken for granted in places like Boston and its suburbs are non-existent in Chicago in the way that an east coaster might make sense of. Also, Chicago is not really a walking city - although there are neighborhood shops but it lacks the kind of energy and connected streetlife/neighborhood life that make one walk through a city. I will say that the cost of living is substantially lower - real estate being the most significant differential. What would buy you a starter apt in Boston will buy you a gorgeous fully renovated fabulous Chicago apt or home. Best of luck.

Old 10-16-2010, 10:22 PM

2 posts, read 1,440 times
I am familar with the Boston area, and what your looking for quiet tree lined streets,good public school and private schools, lovely neighborhoods is on the south west side check out the Beverly Hills/Morgan Park neighborhood. You'll love it!

Old 10-16-2010, 10:51 PM

1,728 posts, read 2,747,696 times
Diversity, which in many ways is taken for granted in places like Boston and its suburbs are non-existent in Chicago in the way that an east coaster might make sense of. Also, Chicago is not really a walking city - although there are neighborhood shops but it lacks the kind of energy and connected streetlife/neighborhood life that make one walk through a city. I will say that the cost of living is substantially lower - real estate being the most significant differential. What would buy you a starter apt in Boston will buy you a gorgeous fully renovated fabulous Chicago apt or home. Best of luck.[/quote]

Chicago is 1/3 white, 1/3 black, and close to 1/3 Hispanic in the city. Cook County is 20% black, 20% Hispanic. Lake County is 20% Hispanic. How is Chicago not diverse? We have the 3rd largest Polish population of any city in the world, the 3rd largest Irish population, 500,000 Italians, 300,000 Jews. Chicagoland is heavily segregated but all you have to do is go to the neighboring suburb for a different culture, food, etc.

Chicago is a good walking city for intra neighborhood type stuff. I always see people hanging out outside in most neighborhoods, particularly from April until October. Chicago is more spread out (which is partially why real estate costs less) which necessitates a car in some situations. It's a complete trade off.

Old 10-16-2010, 10:57 PM

15,589 posts, read 13,099,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargirl1971 View Post
...Beverly Hills/Morgan Park neighborhood. You'll love it!
Doubtful.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:42 AM

1 posts, read 905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I agree with the quietness of many of the "off the main drag" streets in basically every neighborhood of Chicago. That is probably something that is quite different from parts of Boston where the compact layout means that there are not as many residential only side streets.

The level of violent crime in Chicago is distressing, however the geographic range of that crime is very very limited -- although there are nearly no physical barriers that would prevent violent crimes from happening anywhere the culture of the gangs stay well away from traditionally quiet areas.

I will disagree with the assertion of basically any part of the City of Chicago having "decent" public schools because of the warping that happens with the extreme emphasis on selective enrollment -- there are only a handful of 'neighborhood' schools that really merit consideration, those are all elementary schools. The high schools that are at all acceptable are either in part or totally selective admissions -- in some ways this takes the worst aspects of "busing" to an extreme -- kids may have to to cross through very rough areas to get to the school that offers them the best shot at advancing to a selective college. The ability to develop friendships in the neighbor is very much compromised. Participation in sports and other traditional high schools activities is difficult.

Really I do not recommend that anyone move to Chicago without a thorough understand of just how dysfunctional much of the CPS system is...
As a current college student and "recent" CPS grad I take strong offense to the comment about Selective Enrollment Schools. The "bussing" you speak of refers to motivated teens from all over Chicago coming together to learn. For students to get into one of these schools they must take a standardized test and along with their grades from grade school, attendance, and any extra curriculars they are put in competition with other prospective high school students to gain admittance to the school of prestige at the time (between the selective enrollment schools the "best" one is constantly changing) After at there things are factored into the students overall score the selective enrollment schools decide whom they wish to offer admittance. Think college applications but on a high school level. I'm sorry your kid has to sit next to the black kid from the ghetto or the Palestinian Muslim but they are tested and approved to be just as motivated as you kid (maybe even smarter) and have every right to be there. Anyone who thinks anything else is simple wrong. Prejudice has been a long running theme in Chicago because of people like you.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:43 AM

2,060 posts, read 3,056,940 times
Joanne I think you glossed over the part of the selection that is based on 'socio-economic tier' a little too well there. The selection process is not primarily based on merit, which is why people have such a problem with it.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:09 PM

9 posts, read 7,573 times
Lakeview: Known as one of the safest places in Chicago all year long- it does have many nightclubs off of Halsted in the Boystown region and it is close to the lake and Wrigleyfield. Many wealthy people live here so you can expect to pay 900/month plus utilities for a studio and still have to have good credit and make at least double or triple your rent to be accepted by any Lakeview Landlord.

Wicker Park used to be an area where people wanted to live, expensive, modern yet vintage and a very hip/hipster area it is on the outskirts of some shady west side neighborhoods and the crime does crime into Wicker Park-I was there last week and witnessed a women get mugged.

Lincoln Park is a great beautiful expensive area with the trees and vintage buildings and it's got a lot of history, bad thing is it is known as one of the best places to live and it's so close to Downtown that especially in the Summer the crime rate increases.

Andersonville is safe, but does not have a lot going for itself.

Uptown is near Andersonville is absolutely dangerous and infested with homeless shelters and rehabs making it a haven for drug addicts-I cannot even begin to tell you the craziness i've seen in this area.

Stray away from anything near a Red Line Stop-I prefer to stick near a Blue Line or Brown Line on the cities north end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago