Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 07:26 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,744,746 times

Advertisements

Why does this guy think Wicker Park is a hotshot place to enjoy? Was he influenced by the movie, "Wicker Park?" I live in Wicker Park but don't go to the bars here. And I hardly go to the yuppie boutique shops too...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 08:00 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times
I can attest to the quality of the burgers at Paramount Room.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:08 PM

593 posts, read 1,762,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Why does this guy think Wicker Park is a hotshot place to enjoy? Was he influenced by the movie, "Wicker Park?" I live in Wicker Park but don't go to the bars here. And I hardly go to the yuppie boutique shops too...

Didn't see or know about the movie, and never said anything about "hotshot"...Unbeknownst to us when we made the reservation, I guess Wicker Park is considered to be some "cool, trendy" neighborhood, although I really don't give two shiites about that...

Like I said, we wanted to stay outside of the main hotel areas and the
Wicker Park Inn was a good deal and seemed like a nice, romantic place. Also noticed its a neighborhood without many hotels, which seemed like a positive.

I think itd be more fun that first night to stick around the neighborhood we're staying in instead of cabbing it all over the city (although we might go to the Paramount Room and back)...

Old 08-23-2009, 03:48 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times
Wicker Park is one of the neighborhoods in the city that has a 'late-night' scene with plenty of bars, restaurants, and stores. If that is your thing, you'll enjoy yourself staying in and exploring the area. However, don't do so at the expense of other parts of the city.

Don't pay any attention to Jesse69, he has not proven himself a reliable source of information regarding the neighborhood he claims to live in.

Bin Wine cafe has a nice wine selection and some good wine flights, but their food is hit or miss.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:52 PM

211 posts, read 501,463 times
piece pizza!!!!!nuff said!

Old 08-24-2009, 01:27 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,166,049 times
I live in the neighborhood and thought I'd put in my thoughts on bar hopping there. I'd recommend: Gold Star, Cleos, Rainbo, Rodan, maybe Sonotheque depending on what's happening that night, perhaps Darkroom but withe the same caveat, and Inner Town Pub.

For the best burger in Chicago head up to Kuma's Corner but it's a definite cab ride.

Old 09-06-2009, 06:24 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcroJimmy2 View Post
...I guess Wicker Park is considered...
I am curious if you made your trip yet and if you did-how things went...

Old 09-06-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Wicker Park is one of the neighborhoods in the city that has a 'late-night' scene with plenty of bars, restaurants, and stores. If that is your thing, you'll enjoy yourself staying in and exploring the area. However, don't do so at the expense of other parts of the city.

Don't pay any attention to Jesse69, he has not proven himself a reliable source of information regarding the neighborhood he claims to live in.
I do know about the neighborhoods I talked about; and I lived in Wicker Park since 1976 as it changed through the years. I'm just not a bar hopper or boutique shopper, so I can't give advice on that.

And you people seem to believe I don't live in Wicker Park but I do.

Old 09-07-2009, 06:38 PM

593 posts, read 1,762,413 times
Just got back, had a fantastic time.

Went to Paramount room for the Birthday dinner, which was perfect. The mussels and Reuben were especially good and the restaurant as a whole had a cool vibe. Then dropped by Richards Bar next door, and ended up at the FlatIron that night.

Overall, we went to many places all over Wicker Park/Bucktown/UK village/East Village.

Our favorite area for bars was the east village area. Tons of awesome dives with a lot of character--Happy Village, Olas Liquors, Phylis Musical Inn, Zakopane, Innertown pub, etc. Really cool vibe around there. Also
had a good cocktail at the Violet Hour and some beers at the Map Room
...My girlfriend enjoyed some shopping on Division, Milwaukee, Damen up towards Bucktown.

One day we headed over to Wrigley and walked all the way down to Clark/Belmont, headed west on Belmont, then walked down Lincoln to Lincoln Park. Stopped at a few bars and had dinner at Ginos East which was great.

The only real disappoinment food-wise was Lou Malnatti's. All the other pizza we had (both deep-dish and thin crust) was excellent. We had heard so much about Malnatti's, but got "the Lou" and it just didnt taste that great.

Also, got Chicago hot-dogs at a place on Belmont which were great. Guacamole at Adobo Grill was also outstanding...

One of the days we walked down Michigan Avenue and Rush Street. It was good to see and experience, but the area we enjoyed the most was definitely all of the West Town neighborhoods. Lakeview was great too...

Overall, we were both really impressed with Chicago...The architecture, the food, the drink, the general vibrancy. After a grueling backpacking trip for out last vacation, this was a trip to drink, eat, and explore without a plan, and Chicago fit it perfectly.

In particular, we especially liked the quantity and quality of the bars. Seems like there are several on every block in many areas, and most of the ones we stopped into were a lot of fun. Better than the bars in Boston, San Francisco, or even NYC, IMO. The bars in Chicago are a lot friendlier than those cities, and felt like they had more character.

We both talked about we could definitely envision ourselves moving there someday. The only negative I noticed--an maybe Im wrong about this--but I didnt see that many supermarkets besides Jewel-Osco, as well as one Whole Foods (too expensive). Are there many supermarkets in Chicago that have lots of fresh produce, meats, have more of a "Farmers Market" vibe?

Old 09-07-2009, 07:23 PM

Grocery shopping in Chicago sucks compared to Houston! Jewels and Dominicks and Whole Foods are expesive but you can get good sale deals there... I go to Dominicks for their $2.99 / lb 93% lean ground beef.

Houston has Kroger and awesome SuperWalmarts to shop cheap groceries in. Do Aldi and Food4Less in Chicago for cheap stuff...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago