Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 04:35 PM

955 posts, read 1,831,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
That place has been a Polish nightclub (Jedynka) for several years now.
Yeah, I think it has lasted a lot longer in that location than the old disco did. The 123 had a few nasty incidents during it's day, including the murder of a patron outside on the street. A lot of outfit wannabes and faux wiseguys hung out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 05:48 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williepotatoes View Post
Yeah, I think it has lasted a lot longer in that location than the old disco did. The 123 had a few nasty incidents during it's day, including the murder of a patron outside on the street. A lot of outfit wannabes and faux wiseguys hung out there.
I remember when it was the 123 still. But I do not recall the disco days there.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:21 PM

955 posts, read 1,831,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I remember when it was the 123 still. But I do not recall the disco days there.
My limited experience there was roughly 1979-1981. It was a disco/meat market back then. Lots of girls with bright blue eye shadow and feathered haircuts. The place did huge business on fridays and saturdays.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:31 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
I remember "Stay out" and there were a few other really sleazy disco bars / pickup joynts along mannheim rd. in Stone park.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:44 AM

1 posts, read 11,345 times
A good source for you to check would be the Gay Chicago Magazine's back issues.. hope this helps

These bars were all within a 1 block walking distance from the Bistro. The Gold Coast. Levi Leather bar 501 Clark St.. New Flight, bar to pick up working boys. Sundays, could never get its, own theme figured out.. perhaps light levi leather. Redoubt.. Leather.. Alfie's near oak on Rush I think..great after work and dance bar.. The Loading Zone.. on Oak.. Kitty Sheon's was an older gentlemans bar.

Out West of the City Nutbush on Harlem just at the city limits, further out was HideAway.. and even furhter in Aurora was the Spectrum, in the old LeRoy Hotel.

Up North on Halsted, Bushes a mingle bar, I think Sidetracks just started then.. and Manhandler on Halstead still open started back then.

Clarks on Clark way north.. Different Strokes..Broadway limited was in mid new town as well as Blinkers..

Old 02-14-2010, 03:53 PM

1 posts, read 11,300 times
Hey. My fiancee's father used to own a club called The Devil's Palace, in Harvey. I've been looking for some information about it...does anybody remember anything? Most of the stories she has about the joint are anecdotal, as she was really young when he sold it. It also went by the name The Image Palace at some point. She'd love to hear some stories of what the place was like and who performed there.

Old 04-17-2010, 07:44 PM

1 posts, read 11,186 times
All the bars played the musical style of the hour and in it's time disco, some live, some DJ or sound track. There' still a guy around that owned a famous Rush St watering hole, Jay's. He now owns Jay's on Taylor, had Mr. E's and was a partner in Faces and knows it all. a who's who resource. Just a few of the area bars The Store, The Filling Station, The School, Rush Up, Rush Over, Store Annex, Mothers, HanggUpp (still there), Shenanagan's, Bombay Bicycle Club, Irvings.

J R

Old 05-26-2010, 03:16 AM

1 posts, read 11,114 times
My name is Russell Beecher and I work with book publisher Essential Works in London, England.

Essential are putting together a large illustrated book about Disco and I am trying to source visual material for the book.

The book is going to be about the music, the people, the places, the clothes, the drugs, the sex, the politics and everything else that made Disco such an amazing phenomenon

I am looking for photos of the clubs, partygoers, artists, records and just about anything else that is visually relevant.

If anyone can help please drop me a line at [email]russell.beecher@essentialworks.co.uk[/email]

Kind regards,

Russell

Old 07-31-2010, 11:39 AM

2 posts, read 22,096 times
Default disco

Clowns alley on 6032 w belmont in chicago 1972-1975 had lighted sat nite fever dance floor, 3 store fronts wide 2 large bars, 2nd largest lighted dance floor and the 2nd loudest sound sytem in chicago, 4 am license always packed. free giveaways, plus had the best local chicago bands that are still popular today.
Bubbas zone one disco Addison and long chicago 1975-1982 largest sat nite fever dance floor and loudest best sounding system in chicago. packed 7 nites a week 2 am license, then went country with the urban cowboy mechanical bull

Old 07-31-2010, 11:48 AM

2 posts, read 22,096 times
Clowns alley 6032 w Belmont chicago, 1972-1975 sat nite fever lighted dance floor , long bars 2nd best sound system in chicago 4am license, always packed best staff best dj in the city plus the best local chicago bands that are still popular today.
Bubbas zone one disco Addison and long chicago 1975-1982 largest sat nite fever dance floor, best, loudest sound system in the city. 2am license and always packed.
best bartenders and staff. owner always bought you a drink. no place today can even come close to the 2 above places
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago