Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 07:09 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,183,056 times

Advertisements

Check Mac Realty, too.

MAC Property Management :: *Apartments for Rent in Chicago and Kansas City :: Chicago > Hyde Park (http://www.antheuscapital.com/mac/a_ch_hp_overview.html - broken link)

There were folks lined up in front of the place at 8 am today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 07:25 PM

11 posts, read 40,058 times
Thanks Manigault! What do you mean folks were lined up outside of the place? What place- the leasing office or a certain complex? And lined up for what... the only thing I can think of is a section 8 line which I've had to stand in as it wrapped around the block- no fun.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:33 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,183,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missinnocence View Post
Thanks Manigault! What do you mean folks were lined up outside of the place? What place- the leasing office or a certain complex? And lined up for what... the only thing I can think of is a section 8 line which I've had to stand in as it wrapped around the block- no fun.
The place has a leasing office on 53rd street. I don't know what the folks were lined up for but they certainly weren't section 8 people. I think they were trying to apply for the nicest apartments. All over the city I'm seeing the moving vans this weekend.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:14 AM

13 posts, read 51,457 times
FWIW, I have issues calling any neighborhood a "ghetto," particularly when it has three Starbuckses ;-)

Just to add to the conversation a bit, I (white, female, U. of C. student) like Hyde Park a lot, but it isn't for everybody. I think the people who are most frustrated with HP are those who are, as mentioned before, looking for some kind of busy city nightlife. Hyde Park is much more quiet and understated for that, but who knows, things may change-- in the past few years there has been a lot of new restaurants and developments in the works. For better or for worse, the University has a HUGE stake in the vitality of the neighborhood.

As far as crime and sketch factor goes, I take the same cautions in HP that I would anywhere, but even walking around late at night I feel pretty safe. The neighborhood has a lot of activism, a nice blend of ages, incomes, and ethnic backgrounds, and other neighborhoods are not so far away.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:47 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,524,801 times
I don't mean to make it sound like I'm taking a swipe at the South Side (and believe you me, I'm not; I get down there on a fairly regular basis to patronize its commercial establishments), but Hyde Park doesn't have amenities in the number or the variety that one would expect of a fancy urban neighborhood. Until the lack of a proper commercial pulse is sorted out, I'd stay away, especially as there isn't much of interest in the surrounding areas.

Driving around the South Side can be depressing, really. By rights, what should be one of the nicest parts of the city is a patchwork quilt of a few solid neighborhoods hanging on in the midst of some awful bombed out places.

Last edited by maclock; 02-27-2010 at 11:10 PM..

Old 03-10-2010, 07:52 AM

1 posts, read 1,906 times
looking to move to Chicago this summer (2010) need help with finding an apartment looking for 2bed/2bath low-incoming housing re-development in nice area, ex: Hyde-Park, Lincoln Park, West Loop, etc Do anyone have any suggestions?

Old 03-10-2010, 08:36 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,233,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
I don't mean to make it sound like I'm taking a swipe at the South Side (and believe you me, I'm not; I get down there on a fairly regular basis to patronize its commercial establishments), but Hyde Park doesn't have amenities in the number or the variety that one would expect of a fancy urban neighborhood. Until the lack of a proper commercial pulse is sorted out, I'd stay away, especially as there isn't much of interest in the surrounding areas.

Driving around the South Side can be depressing, really. By rights, what should be one of the nicest parts of the city is a patchwork quilt of a few solid neighborhoods hanging on in the midst of some awful bombed out places.
I think most Hyde Park residents don't necessarily WANT a huge number of commercial establishments and I can't blame them. The traffic and parking is horrible with the small number that they already have.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:25 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,524,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerP View Post
I think most Hyde Park residents don't necessarily WANT a huge number of commercial establishments and I can't blame them. The traffic and parking is horrible with the small number that they already have.
Which would be fine if the immediately adjoining neighborhoods offered the fancy-schmancy places preferred by people in that income bracket. That doesn't seem to be the case, though, so Hyde Park/Kenwood -- an island in the midst of urban decay -- needs to offer those shops and services. It doesn't seem to do so and that makes it a little less attractive to new urbanists.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:29 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,075,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerP View Post
There don't necessarily have to be a huge number, but higher quality and later hours (more in tune with urban lifestyle) would be very welcome.

Old 03-28-2010, 04:08 PM

7 posts, read 9,025 times
I'm considering moving to Hyde Park this summer. Right now I live in the south loop, which I love, but I need to get some money saved and I can't do that with south loop rents. If I go to HP, and can easily save three to five hundred bucks a month.

My one hesitation is the isolation. You can't walk from Hyde Park to other neighborhoods like you can on the north side.

And no, the north side isn't an option for me. I live car-free and need to take the Metra Electric line to work in the south 'burbs. That leaves me with a choice between South Loop and Hyde Park. South Loop for life or Hyde Park to save some cash.

For the OP: hope you've found your place by now. I'll try to be cool when I see your hubby walking by
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago