U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 03:27 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,298,947 times
Interesting post. The Irish & the Italians were definitely marginalized way back in the day. Today, however, they're more assimilated & dispersed than ever before (minus some tiny ethnic pockets here & there). Plus people that previously identified as Irish or Italians clearly intermarried with other folks (statistics still show that German-Americans dominate much of the Midwest outside of the major cities). Do we see the same happening in the future with the Hispanic population? Just curious as to what people think. I'm not trying to start up any heated controversy or anything, and I myself consider myself to be a minority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Very true. Although some things never change. Cabrini Green sits in a neighborhood that used to be called "Little Hell" at the turn of the century because of the crime and disreputable reputation.

Also, the immigration issues are similar. Todays Hispanics are what the Irish and Italians were of the early 20th century.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 09:42 AM

3,133 posts, read 2,949,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Thanks for the video share

Funny how Chicago downtown is much bigger today, but back then there were 700,000 more people in the city.
Almost all of them were children. There are more households in Chicago today than there were when Chicago had 3.7 million people.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:17 PM

10,484 posts, read 17,689,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Almost all of them were children. There are more households in Chicago today than there were when Chicago had 3.7 million people.
And the suburbs have grown by huge magnitudes. The downtown serves the entire metro area, which is much larger now than when the city had 3.7 million people.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:51 PM

4,899 posts, read 5,571,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Yes, families were simply bigger back in those days.

Plus the building of the expressways did end up displacing people. As well as some other major building projects, such as UIC, etc.

And of course many of the depressed/run-down/dangerous sections of the south and west sides have lost a lot of people (first white flight, then middle class/aspirant AA people), with houses being razed, and nothing rebuilt.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:53 PM

721 posts, read 950,909 times
Yup, my dad's family moved to L.A from Chicago when he was 14 in the mid 70's, his mother hadn't been back since, but his dad had been a few times. He died recently and now my grandma is moving back in with us, she was pretty oblivious to how much things have changed. She still called the Blue line the Jefferson Park Line and is still in denial that it now runs all the way to O'Hare.

She's in for a shock about how much the city really has changed.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:45 PM

9,258 posts, read 11,441,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dncr View Post
she was pretty oblivious to how much things have changed. She still called the Blue line the Jefferson Park Line and is still in denial that it now runs all the way to O'Hare.

Jefferson Park? I thought it stopped at Logan Square?

Really, this Red Line, Blue Line etc. is stupid; it was easier when the lines were described by where they went or what streets they ran down.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:16 AM

454 posts, read 851,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
Plus people that previously identified as Irish or Italians clearly intermarried with other folks (statistics still show that German-Americans dominate much of the Midwest outside of the major cities). Do we see the same happening in the future with the Hispanic population?
"Hispanic" is an ethnicity, not a race, so a lot of standard 'racial themes' are in play. I've noticed that white hispanics (who run the gamut from white-white to Italian looking) seem to commingle with larger 'white culture' in a far more synergistic fashion than the browner ones do. Also, dating and intermarriage amongst White's and White-Hispanics is outright standard in Chicago. My next door neighbor has a Hispanic first name and surname and is undeniably a white guy in every way, shape and form... Three doors down, different Hispanics, totally different story.

From this we exclude Bridgeport Hispanics (Taco Degos) who are an exception to everything

Old 02-10-2010, 06:55 AM

9,258 posts, read 11,441,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPlayer1 View Post
I've noticed that white hispanics (who run the gamut from white-white to Italian looking) seem to commingle with larger 'white culture' in a far more synergistic fashion than the browner ones do. Also, dating and intermarriage amongst White's and White-Hispanics is outright standard in Chicago.
Many working class white people consider Mexicans as "white" and marriages between Irish and Mexicans are fairly common, there are a couple of such marriages in my family. I know Poles and Italians married to Mexicans too.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:24 AM

15,589 posts, read 12,643,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Jefferson Park? I thought it stopped at Logan Square? ...
It did. But for a couple years the end was Jefferson Park.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:53 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,150,305 times
Absolutely fascinating. I am more famliar with Philly myself but the story of the American city never ceases to amaze me.

It is true that Irish and Italians and Jews had it real rough at one point, it eased with time. It all eases with time.

Also it is true that the good old days were never as good. In truth it's apples and oranges of pre-kennedy america vs. post kennedy when it comes to urban environments. Stuff costs more these days and you just cant work in a factory or mill like you used to (not to say thats an excuse for crime but it's an influence). Gangs also still existed but probably not with the same intensity as they do now.

Chicago seems like (for an American city) really healty. I hear that's cause of the first? Mayor Daley. His imperial rule kept people in check and managed to help salvage the city through hard times or so I hear. Plus you guys are basically the New York of the midwest so it wasn't like TON of industry would just up and leave, crippling the cities like the rest of the rust belt.

My aunt and uncle from Philly visited Chicago and adored the downtown. They said it put their Center City to shame. I'd like to visit someday too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago