Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 10:17 AM

102 posts, read 330,305 times

Advertisements

Wow, this video was great! Thanks so much for sharing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 02:52 PM

4,620 posts, read 8,114,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
This is what our cities were like before the Federal government decided to subsidize their abandonment.
Are you joking? I didn't see a single significant thing in that video that is gone today except the stockyards (and I don't think anyone here really misses those). Everything there still exists and is surrounded by newer things, many of which are just as grand or even grander than the older structures.

I liked see this old video, but I like living in modern Chicago far more than I would ever want to live in that old Chicago.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:59 PM

5,523 posts, read 13,886,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Are you joking? I didn't see a single significant thing in that video that is gone today except the stockyards (and I don't think anyone here really misses those). Everything there still exists and is surrounded by newer things, many of which are just as grand or even grander than the older structures.

I liked see this old video, but I like living in modern Chicago far more than I would ever want to live in that old Chicago.
Well, I see people aren't able to read my mind. When I saw the video I thought to myself "This kind of vibrant downtown used to be fairly common. Cleveland, Detroit, St. Louis, etc all had lively downtowns with the department store and theater district, etc. In the midwest, only Chicago remains." Obviously I wasn't able to convey that in my post.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:34 PM

3,639 posts, read 8,273,526 times
cool video. Nice too see what old school chicago was like

Old 08-27-2009, 06:32 PM

248 posts, read 1,070,869 times
AT1, you rock my friend....you are ok in my book.....

Old 08-27-2009, 07:49 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,146,829 times
Thanks for the video share

Funny how Chicago downtown is much bigger today, but back then there were 700,000 more people in the city.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:44 PM

968 posts, read 2,650,409 times
Really cool..especially the technicolor from 1948 ..has a similiar snap to Kodachrome ( RIP) ..What I'd really like to find is color footage of some of the same neighborhoods where the Cushman collection stills were shot ( pre UR Hyde Park, the old neighborhood around DeKoven, Polk that has been razed) ... North Clark and West Madison ... That would definitely show an older Chicago long since gone...

Old 08-27-2009, 09:57 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,198,202 times
Quote:

Edgewater Beach Hotel no longer exists and it would be MUCH better to have it still than the ugly high rises that replaced it.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:54 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,409,891 times
It's crazy how much less downtown was built up (especially around the water tower) back when there were almost 3.7 million people here! I would very much like a neighborhood tour from that time period... I can only imagine how some areas that are now decayed or razed over once were vibrant neighborhoods.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:50 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,189,236 times
Quote:

That's because you are probably only considering the downtown and some well-off north side areas, which I agree are the best they have ever been. Back in those days most of the city was full of stable middle-class neighborhoods, many of which have degenerated into a slum-like existence that you will find them in today. This video was taken just before white flight kicked into high gear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago