Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 08:59 PM

122 posts, read 251,764 times

Advertisements

I mean the neighborhood is not that bad....I know a lot of people around that area.....it is getting bad, but no where near humboldt park,logan square or englewood not even close. It is still a relatively safe neighborhood, but in the last few years some bad apples have moved in the area. There is more gangs that have moved in to the portage park neighborhood. If it does get bad maybe in 5-10 years right now from a 1-10 in safeness I give it a 7 before a 9 1/2. Kilbourn park is safe better then it was a decade ago, but there are still several gangs around that area....not to bad either really but it has it moments some kid got shot and killed right next to the park this summer....very sad. but all in all its not bad at all.....Old Irving Park is very safe or maybe the Mayfair area....is you really want to feel calm....everybody has different experiences so its hard to really say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 11:44 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,430,130 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I looked up the total number of crimes by neighborhood on the CPD Clearmap. These stats are pretty much good for the 2009 calendar year. Of course, I have not listed them in order by community population or number of crimes per capita....

Here are the groupings of TOTAL crime by community area the last 365 days:

=============================================

10000 incidents or more

1.Austin (25,112)
2.South Shore (12,545)
3.Humboldt Park (12,230)
4.Near North Side (12,024)
5.West Town (11,474)
6.Auburn Gresham (11,295)
7.West Englewood (11,158)
8.Roseland (10,889)
9.Englewood (10,357)
10.Near West Side (10,074)
11.Chicago Lawn (10,071)

================================================== =====

Bewteen 8000 and 9999

12.North Lawndale (9,932)
13.Greater Grand Crossing (9,290)
14.Logan Square (8,350)
15.Belmont Cragin (8,076)...

28.Portage Park (5,193)...

77.Edison Park (385)

Old 12-22-2009, 11:06 AM

14 posts, read 36,510 times
Default What happened?

What happened is that migration factors have changed. The prime places to live in Chicago are near the lake, near the Loop, walking distance from the CTA rapid transit (trains) system, and beeline to Loop on one bus (no transfer).

This is because of lifestyle preferences. Get to work fast, get home fast, get rid of the car...more time and money to live private life....more and more varied life experiences. It used to be peace and quiet was what people wanted, that is no longer the case. The same thing is happening in the suburbs.

Where do smart investors buy real estate in Chicago? Near the train stations in what is now "bad neighborhoods". They are going to explode in value if they havn't already.

Me? I'm a cab driver and I just gave away info y'all ain't suppos'd da know , ha! Good gawd I love to stick it to the deal makers lol.

Grandma doesn't care about these things of course and I doubt she's going to move so you might work out a few security measures. There's a few things she should be drilled on like not opening the door to strangers, including the Gasman ect, unless she's sure it really is the Gasman. Grandma is going to have to be less trusting and more cautious even though that might be against her personality. There's websites that teach these things and since seniors are a favorite target of conmen it's highly recommended you start thinking.

Or she can move to small town Wisconsin, the most functional state in the country. Medical care is the best there too. So are the old folks homes.

On a final note. When Grandma passes away the government is going to try to milk her estate. Assuming there's trust within the family, ALL her posessions should be retitled to younger members of the family or a living trust should be put together. If she goes to an old folks home, they will take EVERYTHING she owns unless her stuff has been put into your name two years before she moves in to the old folks home.

Sure wish I could give this info to the whole country because it's a horror story how people are being pillaged. I've seen farms that where in the family since 1800 taken away by the old folks home. A realtor told me she sees it every day.

Talkative ain't I?

Old 12-22-2009, 03:03 PM

270 posts, read 850,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Rose View Post
On a final note. When Grandma passes away the government is going to try to milk her estate.
Estate tax does not set it until you hit $3.5 Million. Up to that point, they take nothing, after it becomes .45 on the dollar.

In 2010, the estate tax goes away, but comes back in 2011.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:59 PM

1 posts, read 5,849 times
Addison and Cicero to Belmont and Cicero are full of gangs such as 4CHs Latin Brothers Latin Kings. They fight with the Cobras by Diversey the Imperial Gangster and the Spanish Gangster Disciples and Aztecas from Lawrence

Old 08-13-2010, 11:35 AM

Meanwhile, just a few blocks south of Addison and Cicero in Cragin and Kelvin Park...

"At 12:38 a.m. the 21-year-old man was standing outside JDR Liquors Inc., 2959 N. Cicero Ave...For an unidentified reason the man who asked the question pulled a gun and starting firing, striking the victim in the left arm..."

"...across the street from the Cicero Avenue address that injured three males one week ago, about 5 a.m. on Aug. 5...In that attack, three males were shot at 4:58 a.m. in the 4700 block of West Wellington Avenue..."

Shooting violence hits NW Side corner twice in a week :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Metro & Tri-State (http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/2595544,cicero-shootings-081310.article - broken link)

Old 08-13-2010, 04:41 PM

174 posts, read 594,834 times
I am sorry to say but Portage Park is starting to change. For the last 3-5 years the area has seen more and more lowlifes and people with a ghetto mentality and lifetstyle move in to the area. These people somehow manage to buy a home in the area but don't want to leave the ghetto lifestyle behind. I know many people in the area that have decided to take a wait and see approach before they decide to stay or put their homes up for sale. My mother is taking the same position. Its really sad that this is happening in this area because this was and for the time being ,is a solid nice middle class area. But if it continues to change the way it has, this will no longer be the case.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:54 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,223,069 times
Quote:
Meanwhile, just a few blocks south of Addison and Cicero in Cragin and Kelvin Park...

"At 12:38 a.m. the 21-year-old man was standing outside JDR Liquors Inc., 2959 N. Cicero Ave...For an unidentified reason the man who asked the question pulled a gun and starting firing, striking the victim in the left arm..."

"...across the street from the Cicero Avenue address that injured three males one week ago, about 5 a.m. on Aug. 5...In that attack, three males were shot at 4:58 a.m. in the 4700 block of West Wellington Avenue..."

Shooting violence hits NW Side corner twice in a week :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Metro & Tri-State (http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/2595544,cicero-shootings-081310.article - broken link)
This doesn't surprise me one bit. I have one Mexican coworker who lives in Kelvyn Park and feels unsafe. However, he is renting a 2BR for $675. I guess you can't beat that.

And believe it or not, I have a white coworker who used to live there too. He moved in with his Mexican girlfriend and just didn't feel safe staying after a few months. Crazy stuff.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
This doesn't surprise me one bit. I have one Mexican coworker who lives in Kelvyn Park and feels unsafe. However, he is renting a 2BR for $675. I guess you can't beat that.

And believe it or not, I have a white coworker who used to live there too. He moved in with his Mexican girlfriend and just didn't feel safe staying after a few months. Crazy stuff.
The area was not like this 5-10 years ago...

Old 08-14-2010, 10:48 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,223,069 times
Quote:
The area was not like this 5-10 years ago...

But that's how it supposedly is for so many of these neighborhoods. I'm just saying that from my general impressions of cycling through the area and seeing some shady characters (more so than my own neighborhood) that's how I perceive it. I have no baseline with which I can compare.

That's why I get wide-eyed in disbelief when my grandmother tells me that times were great at Austin Community HS in 1956. My brain can't compute that scenario. Chicago must've been a really, really nice place back in the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago