U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-11-2009, 02:00 PM

668 posts, read 1,479,276 times

Advertisements

I was making illegal immigrant wages, $60.00 a day under the table (8:00 to at least 5:00, mostly going overtime with no pay) for doing hard labor organizing and stocking a wharehouse, and doing deliveries all over the city, burbs, wisconsin, indiana and michigan even. Needless to say, I quit and am just living off money I saved up overtime. Been trying to get another job but even one at McDonald's seems less likely than winning the lottery.

Last edited by linicx; 09-11-2009 at 03:23 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 03:35 PM

10,856 posts, read 15,209,805 times
Drover, there is nothing like good humor - they even named an ice cream sandwich after it - but, in this economy money is an issue. I hear what your are saying, I don't know the source you speak of; maybe you could post it.

I honestly expected to see something more along the lines of entry level IT / BS is $60k or more, or outside sales $40K and up. I was thinking generalization rather than personal information. I would not give it up either. Even Camel Jockey is a job, but I have no earthly idea what it pays. .

What I do know from practical experience, is if you have a job and you want a job in a different field, it is better to hired on at the new one before you quit the old one. I think it is especially true when the economy is slow and many people are competing for the same job.

Old 09-11-2009, 04:15 PM

4,793 posts, read 8,597,421 times
My last NASA job was at $67,800 / year but now I only get $806 monthly SSDI and my unemployment will run out soon.

I picked up a new hobby, COOKING - that will make me happy.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:47 PM

36,634 posts, read 57,952,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
My last NASA job was at $67,800 / year but now I only get $806 monthly SSDI and my unemployment will run out soon.

I picked up a new hobby, COOKING - that will make me happy.
How is it that someone capable of riding a $9,000 bike all over town at top speed is collecting disability on the taxpayer's dime?

Old 09-11-2009, 06:51 PM

760 posts, read 762,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
How is it that someone capable of riding a $9,000 bike all over town at top speed is collecting disability on the taxpayer's dime?
A. He is a scammer who is abusing the system
B. He's full of crap

This being the internet, I'd go with B.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:29 PM

15,589 posts, read 13,278,012 times
I make 1.5 million a year. I have so much free time on my hands I post on Citi Data every chance I can get...

Old 09-12-2009, 02:09 PM

194 posts, read 434,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Sorry, we didn't realize this is a humor-free zone.

In our society, asking people about their income is considered intrusive and sharing yours without being prompted is considered bad form. What is "useful" about the information he's asking for? If he wants actual, useful regional income data, there are plenty of websites that will provide it.
No, I don't mind the jokes, I welcome the humor

However, I think it's a problem that it's considered "intrusive" to ask anonymous users in an online forum about their income and sharing your own to be "bad form."

I understand that knowledge of everyone else's salary within a company can cause tension and conflict. However, in this context (an online forum) I see absolutely no problem with it. I'm asking about wages because I think it's interesting to know what people in different fields, or even the same as my own make. Plus this allows people to realize if they're getting screwed (or they should be grateful) so they don't spend years of their career being exploited for unfairly low wages. The only people who benefit from this knowledge sharing to be considered taboo are companies who want to get as much out of their employees as they can for as little money as they can.

Plus if you don't want to share fine. But I don't think sharing my own salary was "bad form" because I would not ask a question or for information about people without being willing to share my own.

As for these websites (e.g, payscale, salary) they are only somewhat useful.

Old 09-12-2009, 04:20 PM

5,265 posts, read 8,280,779 times
I think a few of us regulars actually know each other in real life. I've given away enough personal info already that I'm probably only barely anonymous at this point.

Old 09-12-2009, 04:44 PM

194 posts, read 434,522 times
OK fine, but that's a bit of a straw man. My real point isn't about genuine anonymity, but rather that outside of context of the workplace, I've never seen a problem with people knowing each others' salaries. And knowing such information allows people to make more well-informed decisions.

I'm rather young and know the relative salary of most of my friends (and actually my co-workers as well). It's something we discuss informally, just like how living in different cities and neighborhoods is.

I just think the taboo surrounding salary sharing is unwarranted and a generational holdover that's quickly fading.

Old 09-12-2009, 04:52 PM

5,265 posts, read 8,280,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manchesterUnited View Post
OK fine, but that's a bit of a straw man. My real point isn't about genuine anonymity, but rather that outside of context of the workplace, I've never seen a problem with people knowing each others' salaries. And knowing such information allows people to make more well-informed decisions.

I'm rather young and know the relative salary of most of my friends (and actually my co-workers as well). It's something we discuss informally, just like how living in different cities and neighborhoods is.

I just think the taboo surrounding salary sharing is unwarranted and a generational holdover that's quickly fading.
Well that's great that you and your co-workers share this info, but info posted on city-data is freely available to the entire online world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago