Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 06:34 PM

9 posts, read 21,606 times

Advertisements

My husband is in the medical field and I am in academia. We are wanting a change of pace and are considering big city life for awhile. There are many many places we are considering, but our two top contenders right now look like Philadelphia and Chicago. Here is a bit about us:
  • We are both in our 20's without kids, and don't plan to have them for several years still
  • We love art and culture
  • Our budget for a home would be 375k
  • Our income when we relocate is going to be right around 100k
  • Our top priority in a home is going to be that it is in a safe neighborhood since my husband works long, ridiculous hours of the day and night
  • We really need 2 bedrooms or more a minimum of 1000 sq ft.
  • I would LOVE to live somewhere that I could wake up and see the water... Chicago has Lake M and I know that there is a river (the Delaware?) that runs along Philly.
Since the hubby works so much and we don't really have time to travel, we are wanting to live in a lively, vibrant city that can offer culture and entertainment for a night out. The only thing is that we really need to live in an area that is safe. Which of these two cities have affordable, safe neighborhoods in the city or directly on the outskirts?

If we were to choose Chicago, it would be my dream to live somewhere where I could see Lake Michigan. Would it be possible to find a safe neighborhood with a view and the square footage we are looking for in our 375k budget?

Overall, I am just asking for input on which city sounds like it would be the best fit. Just seeking some direction! Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 06:41 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,595,502 times
You are going to have to take a trip here and check things out for yourself.

If you search the Chicago Forum you can find many threads where people asked questions similar to yours.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:16 PM

838 posts, read 3,095,922 times
yes, and yes

Old 08-18-2009, 07:30 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,495,298 times
I'd personally prefer Chicago, I think it is quite a bit a better city. But can't go wrong with Philly either esp if you are moving from MO. Also with Philly you are close to DC/NYC on the weekend. Philly to me has a better location and slightly milder winters. Chicago has the best waterfront.

#'s aside chicago to me definitely feels like the #2 biggest city in the u.s., philly would come in #3, w/ boston and sf right behind.

They can both offer you big city life w/o NYC prices.

start looking on trulia, the housing market is probably at the bottom for a few more months.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:06 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,131,824 times
I think you'll be able to find what you're looking for in both cities without much problem. IMO Chicago makes far better use of its waterfront. That said, that's mostly an aesthetic consideration while travel opportunities are, in my estimation, a more important quality-of-life issue than which city has a nicer waterfront. With that in mind, your limited travel opportunities tips the balance in favor of Philly. There are a lot more interesting things and places to see within easy striking distance of Philly versus Chicago.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:44 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,907,485 times
Default This comparison..

...has been done before; Philly might have a better location in terms of Boston, NYC and DC, but Chicago is a (much) better city, in my opinion.

Comparing waterways, Lake Michigan certainly beats either the Delaware or the Schuykill rivers, and downtown Chicago beats Center City in Philly. Philly has some great historic venues to see, and a few lively neighborhoods, but much of the city is in poor shape, and certain areas ( North side, and the West side past UPenn) are quite dangerous. (In Chicago, be wary of much of the South Side, and the West Side).And by the way, do you know what awaits you when you cross the Delaware? Lovely Camden, one of the worst communities in the U.S.

If you have the time, spend a week (end) in both, and see for yourselves.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:07 AM

367 posts, read 917,510 times
I lived outside of Philly back in the 80's. Loved the weather. Great mix of seasons without extremes. I prefer thin crust and cheesesteaks but I like the people here more.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:10 AM

838 posts, read 3,095,922 times
location, history, and weather aside, chicago is light years ahead of Philly in terms of density, culture, architecture, entertainment.

Last edited by lincolnparker; 08-20-2009 at 11:19 AM..

Old 08-21-2009, 11:27 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,208,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnparker View Post
location, history, and weather aside, chicago is light years ahead of Philly in terms of density, culture, architecture, entertainment.
First off let me say if water views are the OP's #1 priority Chicago is a much much better choice. Philly does have 2 rivers but used more for industry than pleasure.Its just been in the past 10 years where Philadephia is taking in the notion of living on the waterfront. That being said In Philly you can still have water views, and as a bonus be less than hours drive away from the ocean.

But lincolnspanker you are a little over the top in your convictions. Admittedly Chicago is ahead of Philly in just about every category but you are either overappreciating Chicago or underappreciating Philly. "Light Years" ahead is a bit exuberant bordering on braggadociousness.

The density numbers are very similar. I believe Chicago is about 12,250 ppsq. mile and Philadelphia is 11,500 pp sq mi.

Culture? If Chicago is top 3 in USA, Philly is top 5, not that far behind. Philadlephia has an impressive stockpile of cultural and historic institutions.

Architecture? Subjective matter and there are many experts who would prefer Philadelphias treasure trove of architecture that dates back to the late 17th century early 18th centuries.Keep in mind that Philadelphia had a hight restriction(500 ft.) on skyscrapers until 1987 so their skyline is modest in height but doesnt lack for quality architecture.

Entertainment? How much entertainment do you need? In Center City which is only about 3 sq. miles there are 100,000 residents + 100,000 college students,355 arts + cultural institutions, 2300 retail outlets including 500 restaurants.

Chicago especially downtown is magnificient but by the sounds of your post you might be short changing Philadlephia just a bit.

Last edited by rainrock; 08-21-2009 at 11:40 PM..

Old 08-21-2009, 11:47 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,595,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
First off let me say...
Nice pics.

One appears to be or for certain looks like a computer generated visual of what your downtown may look like in a few years.

The other has some dorky robotic looking white guy,a cliche looking Lenny Kravitz wannabe black guy,some black girl obviously trying to get away from the bad music,and some black dude that looks like Timothy Meadows playing a character of SNL! God this pic looks staged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago