Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 05:13 PM

2,618 posts, read 6,143,778 times

Advertisements

I move out of an apt in Chicago, IL on July 1 2008. When I moved, I called ComEd and told them to cancel my service. May 23rd 2009 I get a collections call from ComEd saying I owe $467 in bills for the last 10 months. I tried explaining to them that I called to cancel and that I haven't lived there and they say there's no record and that I'm responsible. I went and got my copy of the lease and a copy of the lease of the current tennants from the landlord and faxed it to ComEd.

They still refuse to remove the charges from my name. They said that the tennant who WAS living there the last year needs to call in and take responsibility for the bill. How am I supposed get them to do that??? If someone told me to call and accept $500 in charges I'd blow them off too...

I've got the name and social security number of the tennants (it was on their lease). I used the internet to get their phone number and maybe an address, not sure how accurrate this is.

I don't know what to do, I can't afford to pay $467 and I'm sure this is hurting my credit rating badly. Right now my plan is to call up the tenants, demand that they call the electric company to take responsibility for the charges, and that if they don't, I will sue them for the charges, as well as additional court fees, laywer fees, etc. Their names are kinda funny so I'm guessing they're foreign and maybe didn't know they had to pay for electricity in America?

Any advice would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 05:48 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,416,712 times
You're ****ed. This happened to me when my house was destroyed in Katrina. The electric company was so overwhelmed with calls that they wouldn't even let you hold for months. I finally got a hold of them 5 months later and let them know that my house was gone and I'd been trying to call to cancel and they told me they weren't responsible and had already forwarded the charges onto collections. I ended up having to eat it and so will you, unless you don't mind your credit being in the toilet.

BTW, don't you normally receive a confirmation email or letter so that you know the cancellation went through?

Old 09-17-2009, 06:33 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,421,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
...BTW, don't you normally receive a confirmation email or letter so that you know the cancellation went through?
Yeah.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:34 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,695,954 times
I don't know if these guys will help you but look into them!

Citizens Utility Board: Join CUB's Action Network

Old 09-17-2009, 06:50 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,421,704 times
Good post Jesse69.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:48 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,695,954 times
Keep us up to date if CUB helps you with this problem! Tell us how they helped!

Old 09-17-2009, 10:58 PM

16 posts, read 38,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post

I've got the name and social security number of the tennants (it was on their lease). I used the internet to get their phone number and maybe an address, not sure how accurrate this is.
OK if you have their name and S.S. #...why not call com. ed. up yourself pretend that you are them. State you are willing to be responsible for that bill from that time period.

Not sure what other info you may need but, hell give it a try.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:17 PM

2,618 posts, read 6,143,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archview View Post
OK if you have their name and S.S. #...why not call com. ed. up yourself pretend that you are them. State you are willing to be responsible for that bill from that time period.

Not sure what other info you may need but, hell give it a try.
I'm pretty sure that if I did this and was somehow "caught" that there'd be serious legal ramifications for me, as ComEd has all of my information, they could easily press charges. I can't afford a $467 bill, let alone a defense attorney.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:52 PM

668 posts, read 2,348,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
I'm pretty sure that if I did this and was somehow "caught" that there'd be serious legal ramifications for me, as ComEd has all of my information, they could easily press charges. I can't afford a $467 bill, let alone a defense attorney.
Take action man! You know where these people live being that u lived there yourself for a period of time. Go bang on their door! Get agressive! You tried the legal way but it's not working. Tell them to their face either their paying or you're taking them to Judge Mathis. I'd be pissed if some foreigners were taking advantage of me and giving them free electricity. Are you kidding me? Don't get played like that. Get the landlord more involved too. I don't want to see you get scammed for something as rediculous as that. I'm almost tempted to bust the door in for you.

Old 09-18-2009, 02:58 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,939,366 times
I would start by calling them... What are they going to do hang up on you? If they dont own up the bill, bring it to small claims court. I would either find a way to explain your situationa and put the bill on 'hold' or pay it yourself for the time being. you dont want this to impact your credit. Get in touch with someone high at Comed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: