U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 07:08 PM

152 posts, read 401,488 times
Default Does spring really exist in Chicago?

Hi all!
I just moved to Chicago from Miami, and I love it here! Chicago is wonderful and with so many things to do and see...I don't regret not even one second leaving Miami, no compare!!
But...there's a but...!! Does spring really exist in Chicago?? I arrived one month ago and 90% of the days have been cold or pretty chilly. Today it's May 2nd and watching out of the window in this very moment I can see the top of the buildings surrounded by some fog and the outside temperature is around 40F!! Winters are nothing new to me, I lived in Miami only for 1 and 1/2 year, and I'm originally from northern Italy where winters can be pretty cold...but damn...we're in May and it's still pretty chilly out there!!! And I have to admit that as much as I'm loving Chicago, the idea or having only 3 months a year (maybe) of warm weather is a little bit freaking me out!! I knew winters are bitter...but I thought at least from april on I could enjoy some nice warm weather...!!
Anybody can cheer me up and tell me that this year has been a very unusual cold spring start..?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2007, 07:42 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,569,923 times
Well, good news and bad. This spring has been cooler then normal, though back in March we were close to 80 a few times. Don't get your hopes up for a nice spring next year, though. If we're lucky we may get two weeks of spring a year. It usually is cool, though not as much, through April. Then maybe a week or two of perfect spring weather, hopefully, then it becomes as hot and humid as Miami.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:46 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,569,923 times
The good news, though, is that it often remains quite warm, into the 80's, through much of September, and we usually have beautiful autumns here, with 60 degree weather sometimes lasting until December. There's going to be some cold and bleak weather as early as October, and certainly in November, but there's almost always a fair number of nice days mixed in. For over a decade now, we really only have about 3 months of unrelenting, brutal cold, snow and gray skies, from the end of December to the beginning of March. Winters now are so much better now then they used to be. Really.

Old 05-03-2007, 04:55 PM

332 posts, read 1,029,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
then it becomes as hot and humid as Miami.
not true. if you're coming from florida, the summer here is awesome! many people (including myself) get by without air conditioning and are comfortable for most of the summer. that's unheard of in florida. last summer was pretty hot, and i'd say we only had a few days that compared to a typical florida summer day. enjoy!

Old 05-03-2007, 05:48 PM

2,475 posts, read 3,115,553 times
The thing about Spring in Chicago is that it can vary depending on how far from the lake you are. East winds off the lake often keep the areas closest to the lakefront a lot breezier and chillier than areas further inland. That also causes the fog you noticed. Many years it can stay chilly and windy along the lake right on up through Memorial Day, and sometimes even beyond. Not always, though.

Although the calendar says Spring begins March 21, you usually won't see trees budding or flowers blooming until at least a month after that.

Another thing about Spring in Chicago is that the weather is very fickle and changeable. It might reach 80 on an April day and then drop into the 30s a couple days later, maybe even with snow flurries.

Old 05-05-2007, 09:51 AM

19,200 posts, read 50,052,500 times
Weird. On May 2nd it was 40? I remember it being 70? Anyways, spring in Chicago is unique to say the least... One day its 40, the next in the 80s. I like it that way, it never stays the same and you get breaks from both the heat and the cold for days at a time, me likes! And summers here are definitely not even remotely close to as bad as in Miami. Sure there are nasty humid days, but they dont stick around long, the rest of the summer is very very nice IMO. You see, most people only tend to remember the bad days of summer. Me, I like to remember the good days, and they far outnumber the sticky ones. These past 3 weeks have been heavenly 60-80 with royal blue skies, nice breezes, it just doesnt get better. Today is a bit overcast, and I like that, its a break from the sun. Make the best of the situation, find things to enjoy about each day, thats how I live.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:54 AM

6 posts, read 16,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabry76 View Post
Hi all!
I just moved to Chicago from Miami, and I love it here! Chicago is wonderful and with so many things to do and see...I don't regret not even one second leaving Miami, no compare!!
But...there's a but...!! Does spring really exist in Chicago?? I arrived one month ago and 90% of the days have been cold or pretty chilly. Today it's May 2nd and watching out of the window in this very moment I can see the top of the buildings surrounded by some fog and the outside temperature is around 40F!! Winters are nothing new to me, I lived in Miami only for 1 and 1/2 year, and I'm originally from northern Italy where winters can be pretty cold...but damn...we're in May and it's still pretty chilly out there!!! And I have to admit that as much as I'm loving Chicago, the idea or having only 3 months a year (maybe) of warm weather is a little bit freaking me out!! I knew winters are bitter...but I thought at least from april on I could enjoy some nice warm weather...!!
Anybody can cheer me up and tell me that this year has been a very unusual cold spring start..?
I use to live in Mobile,Al.It is a bay city,all you needed in the winter was a jacket,not coat.That would last from Dec to Feb.It was nice.It seems to me Chicago cant shake that chill from the air.Even when it's suppost to be summer.I've been back for 4 years now,and am still adjusting.It takes time.All that said, it's the best freaking city !!!

Old 05-08-2007, 10:18 AM

19,200 posts, read 50,052,500 times
Chicago is definitely quite warm in the summer, every year we can expect at least one massive heat wave, that sadly kills dozens to hundreds of folks. Doenst sound the least bit like a "chill" to me. Chicago's summer temps are warm and very pleasurable most of the time, minus the few days/weeks of heavy humidity.

Old 05-08-2007, 02:22 PM

36,075 posts, read 55,982,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi2NYC? View Post
last summer was pretty hot, and i'd say we only had a few days that compared to a typical florida summer day. enjoy!
Actually last summer was a pretty standard Chicago summer; in fact I even remember it being on the mild side. It was was summer of 2005 that was awful, where it was 90+ degrees pretty much from mid-July through the end of August, and we hit 105 degrees one day and 100 a couple other days. THAT sucked.

Oh, and spring? I guess not this year. From 40s/50s straight to 70s/80s.

Old 05-08-2007, 02:40 PM

3,371 posts, read 4,473,805 times
Oh my God I thought last summer was horrible. There were some long stretches of really, really hot and humid days...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago