Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 05:46 AM

242 posts, read 1,002,136 times

Advertisements

America's Most Entertaining Cities, look at where Chicago is ranked.

America's Most Entertaining Cities - 1 - MSN City Guides
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 01:03 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,661,496 times
Entertaining and stressed out.

I guess the seven sunbelt people now handling these surveys weren't too intimidated by the big city traffic of NYC and Chicago to do a little more traveling.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:03 PM

721 posts, read 1,794,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Entertaining and stressed out.

I guess the seven sunbelt people now handling these surveys weren't too intimidated by the big city traffic of NYC and Chicago to do a little more traveling.
LOL! Yeah, Forbes is all over the place.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:14 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
If I've learned anything from my time on City-Data, it's that these trumped up magazine city lists are really really really really really really really really really really worthless. And the truth in the matter is that the average American will be perfectly entertained with the cultural offerings in a city like Cleveland.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:52 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
I checked out the URL before clicking on it and was relieved it didn't lead to the Forbes website.

Then I clicked on it and saw the Forbes logo in the upper right-hand corner. Article closed before a sentence was read.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:53 AM

128 posts, read 305,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
If I've learned anything from my time on City-Data, it's that these trumped up magazine city lists are really really really really really really really really really really worthless. And the truth in the matter is that the average American will be perfectly entertained with the cultural offerings in a city like Cleveland.

Chicago is FILLED with average Americans, so they must all dig Cleveland culture eh? hehe
BTW...opera sucks, museums and symphony are boring, and ethnic restaurants reek like stinky feet. Oh and free wi-fi is for losers

Old 09-23-2009, 07:02 AM

527 posts, read 1,244,922 times
Default Definitely Worthwhile

Thanks for the post I think it is definitely worthwhile given that it aligns with my owns views of what is best in America and will now push it out to the general populace. Many people consider LA above Chicago. LA is a warzone with actors in it. Chicago killers have class! hahaha. Seriously don't go to LA, NYC I admit is better than Chicago too, but much more expensive.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basekamp View Post
Thanks for the post I think it is definitely worthwhile given that it aligns with my owns views of what is best in America and will now push it out to the general populace. Many people consider LA above Chicago. LA is a warzone with actors in it. Chicago killers have class! hahaha. Seriously don't go to LA, NYC I admit is better than Chicago too, but much more expensive.

But Chicago is more expensive than the majority of cities in America (highest taxes in the land)
and Chicago has more crime somehow than New York. Its all relative.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:59 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,385,654 times
While I don't expect anything better from Forbes, this statement is asinine:
Quote:
The only problem is the weather. If it were a bit nicer, a few more sports teams, museums, bars and restaurants might call the Windy City home -- and help Chicago top the list.
Okay, so first of all: More SPORTS teams? Seriously? Chicago is home to professional Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Rugby, Lacrosse, Softball, Roller Derby, and indoor Soccer AND football teams. What would better weather get us? Another football team? LA has lovely weather and can't seem to get ONE. Another basketball team? Who plays outdoor basketball?

In fact, how does weather impact museums or bars, either? Back in the day, Chicago had well over 4,000 bars. Were those corner bars "more entertaining"? I mean, hell, I'D have preferred them, but I doubt more watering holes really would have made a difference.

In fact, how do MORE of anything make a place more entertaining? The list grants us 15,000 plus restaurants. If we put in 3,000 Denny's, would we then "win"?

What a stupid sentence. Damn you, Forbes, for wasting my time.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
While I don't expect anything better from Forbes, this statement is asinine:

Okay, so first of all: More SPORTS teams? Seriously? Chicago is home to professional Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Rugby, Lacrosse, Softball, Roller Derby, and indoor Soccer AND football teams. What would better weather get us? Another football team? LA has lovely weather and can't seem to get ONE. Another basketball team? Who plays outdoor basketball?

In fact, how does weather impact museums or bars, either? Back in the day, Chicago had well over 4,000 bars. Were those corner bars "more entertaining"? I mean, hell, I'D have preferred them, but I doubt more watering holes really would have made a difference.

In fact, how do MORE of anything make a place more entertaining? The list grants us 15,000 plus restaurants. If we put in 3,000 Denny's, would we then "win"?

What a stupid sentence. Damn you, Forbes, for wasting my time.

You are right. More isn't always better. They should have just said that Chicago lacks in quality sports teams, quality bars, and quality restaurants (grease pit)...and quality weather.
That would be more accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago