Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 08:39 PM

11 posts, read 20,822 times

Advertisements

Okay, for two years now I've been using you guys' opinions to form some of my thoughts about certain places. I love the fact that we can network and talk about our various areas from people who actually live or lived there, so I need your HELP!!! Please!!!

I'm from Chicago, moved to Los Angeles. I thought this is where I wanted my life to be, now I'm questioning that.

I have a 6 year old son, and I don't think I'll like the influence LA would have on him. Also his mother is more of a "simple life" kinda person and I think LA may be too fast paced for her. I haven't moved them out here as of yet because I wanted to get settled first before bringing them.

As I'm getting settled, I'm not liking some things and now feel like this isn't the place I want to raise my son. The rent being so very expensive makes me feel like a move to another place would offer me better choices for my money. In LA you either get a rat hole in a decent area or a palace in a crap hole of a neighborhood. And "Good" neighborhoods are just way out of my price range.

I'm trying to compare 5 places (I know right?). Here's my choices, tell me what you think.......

1.Go back to Chicago. Love my city! Are some crap holes but I know where to be and where not to be. Cons-Not so cheap, cold.

2. Atlanta-I'm a young African American but I don't care about the hype at all. Can I get southern hospitality mixed with a lil' urban here? Safe places to raise my son with decent schools? Natural disaster issues?

3. Houston- Is it cheap? Is there a big threat of a hurricane coming and wiping out what I'm working to build?

4. Dallas-I have no reasons for Dallas at all, but I heard it's better than Houston. So I included to somewhat consider.

5. Arizona- Not sure where in AZ, but I heard bad things about Scottsdale. I've heard Phnx is ok.

So those are my choices....can you help?

P.S. My profile-I'm 25, black, 1 son, some college (not much though. plan to return ASAP), management experience with Wal-mart, Starbucks, Rosetta Stone (though I'm not really interested in staying in the customer service field much. If I have to, I will for the money. But I want to try my hand at banking, real estate, and really any decent paying desk job until I finish school.

ALSO A GOOD BLACK CHURCH PRESENCE WOULD BE GREAT!

Thanks guys for your help! I'm counting on you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 08:46 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
You think so much of Chicago that you asked 4 other forums the exact same thing?

Old 10-01-2009, 08:54 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,926,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avengerfire View Post
you think so much of chicago that you asked 4 other forums the exact same thing?
bahaha

Old 10-01-2009, 09:46 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,302,170 times
Chicago is just your ***** on the side. Frankly, it wished you would have at least answered its calls.

Old 10-01-2009, 11:50 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Well I think it's obvious why he asked in multiple forums, namely to get feedback from the people in all the places he's looking. I don't see any reason to jump on his case for that. Unfortunately they will probably all be consolidated and moved to the City v. City forum where he'll have to endure endless "my city shts on your city nanny-nanny-boo-boo" crap while trying to filter out the handful of actually useful answers.

Anyway, tough call, but if you love Chicago and you're already familiar with it, it seems like an obvious choice. Even more so if this is where your wife(?) and kid are located; you were kind of ambiguous about that part though.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:57 AM

48 posts, read 131,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam1 View Post
2. Atlanta-I'm a young African American but I don't care about the hype at all. Can I get southern hospitality mixed with a lil' urban here? Safe places to raise my son with decent schools? Natural disaster issues?
Believe the hype. ATL is the bomb.

Safety, decent schools, good churches? There are many areas around Atlanta that fit these criteria. I would suggest looking at Decatur and Stone Mountain.

There's plenty of reasonably priced good housing, also.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:19 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
6 year old son? Which offers the best public schools with an open enrollment policy?
Oh, and from personal visits to explore relocating to Texas, I thought Houston was better than Dallas. Actually I preferred Austin over both.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:14 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Well I think it's obvious why he asked in multiple forums, namely to get feedback from the people in all the places he's looking. I don't see any reason to jump on his case for that...
Let's see if this guy actually returns and follows up in any of his threads. This far he has not even one time.

There is something very fishy about his threads.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:36 AM

90 posts, read 321,979 times
You can live very affordably in Houston, which has a much better economy than LA or Chicago. Houston is also more diverse than Dallas. I lived in Houston as a child and have great memories of growing up there. I can't speak to Atlanta, but I think it would be similar to Houston in many ways.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:53 PM

11 posts, read 20,822 times
@Avenger-I'm trying to make a well informed decision, not start a turf war. Thanks but yes I want opinions from around the country not just us biased Chicago folks, now you know how we are! Loosen up and gimmie some advice d@mnit! (All smiles)

@Drover-thanks. I mean duh right? I don't know how this thing works, I'm just trying to be well informed....crime?

We're separated but still friends and want to raise him together. Hey it's not his fault we didn't work out.

@Cuito- Thanks so much! I will consider. How about natural disasters? What do they face down there and how often?

@Cubs/sox- (I love the combination name, you get it for that don't you!?!?!) Austin? Is it more Texas-like or international city-like? I don't think my Chi-town arrogance would fit in certain parts of Tex. But why did u like it, if I may ask?

@Avenger-WTH r u? Like City data police? It's only been one day! GEEEZZZZ!!! Get off my back and help a brotha out or STHU! Geez dude!

@Gobears-(Love the name!) Okay thank you so much! I like Houston a lot so far but I'm concerned about major hurricanes. Your thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: