Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 10:34 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,471,139 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks,

I'm planning to transit from OHD to Waukegan. Google map trip planner tells me to take Blue Line to Irving Park, transfer to Metra NW to Clybourn, then the Metra North to Waukegan.

Is there an safety issue at the Irving Park Station? How bout Clybourn? I've done the Blue line before going directly to downtown to Washington Station then hoofing from Wash to Ogilvie. Is there a better way? Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 11:25 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
...Is there an safety issue at the Irving Park Station? How bout Clybourn?...

...Is there a better way? Any suggestions?...
Not really.

Yes. Take a cab. It will save you loads of time. The thing is it will not be very cheap.

The only other option IMO is to take the 250 Dempster bus from O'Hare to Evanston. You can get on the Metra train from Evanston to get to Waukegan.

http://www.pacebus.com/sub/schedules...sp?RouteNo=250

http://metrarail.com/content/metra/e.../up-n/map.html

Last edited by Avengerfire; 10-02-2009 at 11:35 AM..

Old 10-02-2009, 11:56 AM

214 posts, read 545,843 times
That bus idea might work. Metra runs very infrequently on the weekends I'm sure you know.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Not really.

Yes. Take a cab. It will save you loads of time. The thing is it will not be very cheap.

The only other option IMO is to take the 250 Dempster bus from O'Hare to Evanston. You can get on the Metra train from Evanston to get to Waukegan.

Pace Bus - Route 250 - Dempster Street

Metra Union Pacific North (UP-N) Line Map
Thanks av, I'll check the route.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:32 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default Madness...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
Hi Folks,

I'm planning to transit from OHD to Waukegan. Google map trip planner tells me to take Blue Line to Irving Park, transfer to Metra NW to Clybourn, then the Metra North to Waukegan.

Is there an safety issue at the Irving Park Station? How bout Clybourn? I've done the Blue line before going directly to downtown to Washington Station then hoofing from Wash to Ogilvie. Is there a better way? Any suggestions?

Thanks!
That turns a 40-to minute cab ride into a 3 hour tour / wait for trains that are not set-up to handle air travellers. Metra is a commuter line that takes folks from the suburban spokes to the Chicago Hub mostly on older pre-airline rail ways. Getting to downtown from O'Hare works OK, but trying to get suburb-to-suburb is like using a broom to brush your teeth -- it'll probably get the job done but it will leave your mouth tasting funny and pretty sore...

Old 10-02-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
That bus idea might work. Metra runs very infrequently on the weekends I'm sure you know.
Thanks HM, no actually I didn't know that. I'll check the schedule.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
That turns a 40-to minute cab ride into a 3 hour tour / wait for trains that are not set-up to handle air travellers. Metra is a commuter line that takes folks from the suburban spokes to the Chicago Hub mostly on older pre-airline rail ways. Getting to downtown from O'Hare works OK, but trying to get suburb-to-suburb is like using a broom to brush your teeth -- it'll probably get the job done but it will leave your mouth tasting funny and pretty sore...
thanks for the insight CHet.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:55 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
If it is running, you can take Metra North Central from O'Hare
North Central Service (NCS) Schedule
Then walk the short distance from Union Station to Ogilvie for the Metra North line. I doubt it will fit your schedule, but if it does, it may work OK.
PS to get to Metra O'Hare station, you take a remote parking lot shuttle bus from the remote parking shuttle train. Trains are right outside the airport terminals.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:11 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,440,415 times
I would take the blue line east to Jefferson Park station, then take the 81 Lawrence bus east to the Ravenswood Metra stop. I'd give yourself 1.25 hours to get from the Ohare station to the Metra station. It'll be $2.50 total. And you don't have to attempt to time yourself between 2 Metra trains this way, which would be challenging. The stations involved are perfectly safe as well.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:40 PM

Thanks for the advice all. I decided to go Blue Line to Washington St Station and enjoy the stroll to Ogilvie. As it turned out the Washington Station was closed so I had a nice stroll from Clark to Ogilvie. Had just enough time to enjoy the sights along the way, eat, and then catch the poky Metra North. The trip wasn't quick like a cab directly from OHD to Waukegan, but I was in no hurry to get to WAU just to sit in this hotel room. Sitting on the train or sitting in the room, what's the difference really? The sightseeing was nice. here's a few snaps from the stroll. Thanks again all.

1477!

Nice Building!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago