Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 09:23 PM

313 posts, read 596,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Sometimes the announcement is audible, sometimes it's not. Since the Orange Line is the quietest line in the system, you should be able to hear the announcements just fine. In either case, each car will have this graphic showing the sequence of stops, so you can just follow along from stop to stop.
The orange line is the quietest? Does it have different equipment or construction or something? Never ridden it (purple/red/brown guy).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 11:05 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Careless View Post
The orange line is the quietest? Does it have different equipment or construction or something? Never ridden it (purple/red/brown guy).
Yes on both counts. First, it has the newest rolling stock. Second, all of the elevated portions outside the Loop are concrete instead of steel bracing, so there's much, much less vibration that makes its way into the cars. And I'd estimate at least 1/3rd of it is grade-level where vibration is even less of an issue.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:10 PM

313 posts, read 596,603 times
Interesting, thanks.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:22 AM

1,846 posts, read 4,741,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulful View Post
brianjb. On the orange line there will be a map inside your train car that clearly shows each of the stops from Midway to Roosevelt. You can monitor your progress and will know when you are 1 or 2 stops away.

Did you decide to take the train instead of a cab?
We checked into the hotel, and unloaded bags. We got here fairly early. Then we went to Midway. Parked at Midway Park Savers (it is $9 a day with coupon found on their website). It is right across street from Midway station. Then we took train in. The parking will save us tons over the week. We can use the savings to do more touristy stuff...lol

Sorry about any typos, I'm doing this on my Palm Pre.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:01 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,385,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb View Post
We checked into the hotel, and unloaded bags. We got here fairly early. Then we went to Midway. Parked at Midway Park Savers (it is $9 a day with coupon found on their website). It is right across street from Midway station. Then we took train in. The parking will save us tons over the week. We can use the savings to do more touristy stuff...lol

Sorry about any typos, I'm doing this on my Palm Pre.
Nice find! Enjoy your stay!

Old 10-04-2009, 06:32 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Yes and yes. Garish signs abound. All insanely lacking in style and details but HUGELY proclaiming the offical name of the station as listed on official maps /scheduled. Dead nuts easy. Automated announcements galore. Most with hideously constructed grammar. "Clyde will be next." "The next stop will be Clyde." uh no -- is it impossible for English to be spoken? An actual "subject / verb / object" sentence would be something like: This train next stops at Clyde Ave Station...
The announcement used on Metra is "The next stop will be Clyde". I don't see why a future and an infinitive can't go together (as in "He will stop the train"... How else can you possibly express that?). Though I think a simple "The next stop IS Clyde" would be the best announcement.

Anyways, it will be very hard to miss your stop if you are even slightly paying attention. I would say that CTA is harder since they have many signs visible all around their stations.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:42 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
The announcement used on Metra is "The next stop will be Clyde". I don't see why a future and an infinitive can't go together (as in "He will stop the train"... How else can you possibly express that?). Though I think a simple "The next stop IS Clyde" would be the best announcement.

Anyways, it will be very hard to miss your stop if you are even slightly paying attention. I would say that CTA is harder since they have many signs visible all around their stations.
I hate metra's announcements.

"Belmont is next" and "This is Belmont" are fine enough for me.

Also, Drover, where is the Orange Line at grade level?

Old 10-05-2009, 07:42 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,263,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Yes and yes. Garish signs abound. All insanely lacking in style and details but HUGELY proclaiming the offical name of the station as listed on official maps /scheduled. Dead nuts easy. Automated announcements galore. Most with hideously constructed grammar. "Clyde will be next." "The next stop will be Clyde." uh no -- is it impossible for English to be spoken? An actual "subject / verb / object" sentence would be something like: This train next stops at Clyde Ave Station...
Remember when the conductor would announce the stations?! Some were understandable, others were not. Bryn Mawr and Argyle were always interesting-Granville too. Me and the Buds would try to imitate the most unintelligible-especially fun while surfing the Sheridan Rd. turns Ah the silly things of our youth.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:43 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
I hate metra's announcements.

"Belmont is next" and "This is Belmont" are fine enough for me.

Also, Drover, where is the Orange Line at grade level?
I never paid enough attention to remember the exact details of where, but a good chunk of it was built on an existing freight right-of-way. In fact the train often runs side-by-side with freight trains, either parked or moving. Also, a lot of it seems to be on an embankment too rather than an elevated concrete platform, though much of the elevated portion is concrete. In any case, net result is a very quiet line. The only time it's kind of noisy is when you get on a car with a wheel that's out of round.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:00 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
...where is the Orange Line at grade level?...
The Orange Line is at grade level at Midway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago