Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2009, 10:43 AM

1 posts, read 2,281 times

Advertisements

My job recently eliminated my position Downtown Chicago and relocated me to demoted position in a facility 21 miles away! It has added 4 hours to my commute time and quadrupled my expense to get to work as I know have to catch 2 cta trains and a metra. I have to leave at 9:20am only to return home at 11:30 pm. Once at the metra station in the city of my job I have to walk 1 mile and six blocks or catch a cab on a daily basis to and from the job then be on my feet for 8 hours once at work! It used to cost me $23 dollars a week to get to work for a bus pass but now cost $23 a day and I don't make $14 an hour! The company isn't giving out raises this year and didn't get one last year and no compensation for the added expense of getting to work. Public transportation is not available due to the hours I work (12:30pm to 9pm) and they have denied my request to change my work hours. It's about to get cold and I don't own a car! This is undue physical and financial hardship imposed by my employer at no fault of my own! My work record is flawless, they're just not making money! It feels like they're trying to force me out! What recourse do I have? Should I quit and get unemployment and take temporary work till I can land something permanent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 11:01 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
Absolutely not. It is easier to find a job if you have a job, than it is to find a job when you are unemployed. You are in a very tough place in a lousy economy where any job is better than no job. If you do not own, perhaps moving is a better option at this time. Good Luck!

Old 10-11-2009, 11:02 AM

1,846 posts, read 4,740,504 times
It sounds like you are in a tough spot. Have you considered moving to be closer to work?

As far as quitting to get unemployment...you may want to look into that. I believe you have to get fired, then you have to apply for unemployment. Otherwise, a lot of people would get a job, then just quit to get unemployment. That is something that has to be approved.

My suggestion is to either get a roommate to help with expenses. Or move closer to work, and get a roommate possibly.

Old 10-11-2009, 04:09 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,165,755 times
You do generally have to be let go to qualify for unemployment, but I'm pretty sure you could get your employer to mark you as laid off under the circumstances so that you could collect. Even if they didn't, insurance will sometimes cover you if the reason you quit is that they made impossible changes to the position requirements. Moving the job would probably meet those criteria.

At any rate, if I had an employer do that, I'd be looking for a new job immediately. If I were a renter, and the economy were bad, I might consider relocating to the suburbs as a temporary solution, though. At the very least, I'd probably see if a boss or coworker who drove could pick me up at the train station.

It's a sucky situation, but I think your only real option is to kick a job search into high gear. It's a bad economy, but there are places slowly hiring and you can find a replacement job eventually.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:10 AM

367 posts, read 917,577 times
I would look at moving first if I was a renter. Having a job is better than no job. Outside of the city rents may even be cheaper. Downside is you will probably need a car.

If you don't like it outside of the city keep looking while you work and move back when you can.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:17 AM

8 posts, read 30,045 times
i would look for another job which is within walking distance from where you live, and connect more with your community/neighborhood.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:24 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Here is some info for you.

"DISQUALIFICATIONS
Even though you meet the eligibility conditions listed above, you will not be eligible for benefits if you are disqualified.
You will be disqualified if:

1. You quit your job without good cause attributable to your employer, UNLESS you quit because of one of these reasons: health, sexual harassment, domestic violence, UNSUITABLE WORK, acceptance of another job, failure to exercise bumping privileges or the need to accompany a spouse in the military.
2. You were discharged for misconduct connected with your work.
3. You failed, without good cause, to apply for or accept a suitable job..."

Publications

Old 10-18-2009, 12:45 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
Also be careful that with almost all states running out of unemployment money to give out - they're really cracking down.

I was on unemployment in 2007 when I got laid off, and they couldn't care less about anything because it was a 5% unemployment rate and there was a lot of money floating around. Now is a very different picture.

Old 10-18-2009, 07:10 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
Keep your job and move closer to work. This is no time to give up a job.

And as others have pointed out, you don't get unemployment benefits if you quit.

Old 10-18-2009, 07:16 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,028,509 times
Yeah, I'd have to agree with everyone else. My son has been out of work for almost a year with no prospects. SO, see if you can't move closer to work. That is the only reasonable alternative in this economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago