Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 08:27 PM

1 posts, read 6,323 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am writing to you from far Kazakhstan (a country that borders with Russia). A couple of days ago I received an advertisement saying that I could get my MBA degree on-line for a price of $1,500 for the whole course.

They say that there is a campaign there for international students, so I can study with a discount of about 80%.... This sounds very advertising, but is this real? Or is this another fanthom university that will dissappear after I pay my money.

The name of The university is Kingston University. I tried to learn more about this university, but there is not much info on the web as. like they say, the University is relatevily new. Unfortunately I cannot go and do physical check as I live 9,000 km from the USA that is why I ask you for your assistance. Could someone please see the address provided below and make sure that this University really exists, accredited and really has this campaign of providing discounts to international students (by the way the name of campaign is MBA-1000).

Thank you in advance.

PS: Here is the address of the University

Neighborhoods: Bronzeville, Douglas
444 North Michigan Avenue.
Chicago, IL 60686
(312) 239-0622
www.kingston-university.us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 09:59 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,394,567 times
honestly I never heard of it, but looking at their website they accept financial aid so my guess is that they are at least somewhat legit

Old 10-14-2009, 10:10 PM

298 posts, read 579,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGUD View Post
Hi,

I am writing to you from far Kazakhstan (a country that borders with Russia). A couple of days ago I received an advertisement saying that I could get my MBA degree on-line for a price of $1,500 for the whole course.

They say that there is a campaign there for international students, so I can study with a discount of about 80%.... This sounds very advertising, but is this real? Or is this another fanthom university that will dissappear after I pay my money.

The name of The university is Kingston University. I tried to learn more about this university, but there is not much info on the web as. like they say, the University is relatevily new. Unfortunately I cannot go and do physical check as I live 9,000 km from the USA that is why I ask you for your assistance. Could someone please see the address provided below and make sure that this University really exists, accredited and really has this campaign of providing discounts to international students (by the way the name of campaign is MBA-1000).

Thank you in advance.

PS: Here is the address of the University

Neighborhoods: Bronzeville, Douglas
444 North Michigan Avenue.
Chicago, IL 60686
(312) 239-0622
www.kingston-university.us
Never heard of it...as more "online universities" appear, I thinlk the brick and mortar options will set themselves apart in terms of legitimacy. Especially as they integrate technology into their offerings....I'd rather have a degree from a state school than a b.s. online school, unless it allowed me to skip a lane in the salary schedule or something...buyer beware!!!!

Old 10-15-2009, 01:50 PM

313 posts, read 596,603 times
It says it is accredited by "the International Accreditation Commission for Online Universities (IACOU)" which is so fake that it's not even on Wikipedia's list of unrecognized accreditation associations and the only hits for it wind up linking back to kingston's site. It does not appear that these people can give degrees that anyone will recognize.

If you want to know if a school is accredited, go here and search for it.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:49 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
The University of Phoenix offers degrees on-line and is fully accredited. Anyone who offers you a Masters on the cheap is a fraud.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:16 AM

2 posts, read 12,036 times
I found a lot of universities with online education there
[url=http://www.degree.net/degreetype/Doctorate-degree.html]PhD / doctorate Degree online[/url]

But there is no mention about Kingston.
Does some one found any relevan information?

Also anybody knows what (IACOU) is?
Which universities are accredited by this organization?
Anything?

[url=http://www.kingston-university.us/index.php?topic=credentials&page=accreditation]Kingston University :: credentials accreditation[/url]

Old 11-18-2009, 05:50 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,086,496 times
The only IACOU I was able to come across was the Independent Armored Car Operators Association. I believe you have stumbled upon a 'diploma mill' which sells fake degrees. In the US, you should look for regionally accredited institutions (there are also a few okay nationally accredited schools). In Chicago, you should look for institutions who are accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. Schools who are accredited by HLC are quick to disclose this, and this is the same association who accredits places like Northwestern and University of Chicago. Here is their website. Higher Learning Commission - HLC Home

Additionally 444 N. Michigan Ave. is a nondescript office building with a discount shoe store and a Starbucks coffee shop on the first floor. If a school exists there, it is very small, and not too interested in advertising itself in Chicago.

Finally, what is up with that listing. 444 N Michigan Ave. is nowhere near the Bronzeville neighborhood.

Last edited by j33; 11-18-2009 at 06:09 AM..

Old 11-18-2009, 06:44 AM

2 posts, read 12,036 times
Looks, like this company is fully fake.
I need someone from US or Canada who was swindled by this company to start court examination.
Now, I have couple people from Europe and Asia region...
Will appreciate any contacts...

Thanks.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:51 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,169,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chummy Waters View Post
Borat wants to get educated?
Pianist Oxana Shevchenko was born in Kazakhstan, and she's about as far from Borat as one could be.

Old 12-04-2009, 11:02 AM

3 posts, read 8,720 times
Well, it seems that nobody knows more about this University, except the proga user. First, why is it so cheap? I’ve found that they work through Kazakhstan Company. So, it seems that tuition is reasonable for that region. Of course, you won’t find ANY institution offering cheap MBA degree throughout USA. Second, why don’t you enter the University and give us data on their program and learning materials in your own words? Third, if you live in Kazakhstan what court do you want to apply to? Kazakhstan or USA? And what kind of arguments do you have? Just “I am afraid to spend my money and get nothing”? Come on, it doesn’t work. My friend is an advocate and I know some funny stories on that reason. So, we are eager to see Borat adventures in the USA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago