U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 01:48 PM

668 posts, read 1,392,462 times
NYC has way better public transportation and has done a better job of reserving their older buildings, giving it that London-esque old world vs. modern world mix feel to it. Chicago just tore most its old buildings down and put up tacky, cheaply built condo's and apartment complexes, etc. New York City is also dirtier. The biggest difference is the people though. People come off as sharper and as better hustlers in NYC, while many of my fellow Chicagoans come off as dull, sensitive (I feel I can never be honest with a Chicagoan/Midwesterner because they'll take any critiscism too harshly and hold a grudge against you), slow and sometimes down right stupid. People say folks in NYC are a-holes but really they're just upfront and in a rush, which I prefer in the long run rather than dealing with my fellow "polite" back-stabbing midwest folks, who end up slowing your progress. I like the fact that you can be rude and upfront in NYC and nobody will care or take it personally, where as in Chicago, you may hear about it for years from an aquantince because you never hold the door open when your in a rush, or sometimes forget to say please and thank you (it happens, sorry). After living on the east coast in New England for 3 years (which I absolutely hated for the most part, however...), I realized people on the east coast are more fun to hang out with and you can be more upfront and honest and agree to disagree. I definately took on that East Coast attitude and when I brought it back to my old friends in Chicago, they didn't respond well, and now whenver I talk with them or goof with them or disagree with them, I feel like I am walking on egg shells, and have to dance around my point, so as not to offend. On the east coast, you can call your friend an idiot to his/her face and everyone will laugh about it and know it is a joke, but if you do that out in the midwest be prepared to have someone take it to heart and have them moan and groan about it all night, or act like a baby and sulk. I love my home town of Chicago, but people on the east coast are more fun to hang out with, and are better to work with. They also seem to have more drive and hustle, where as Chicagoans and Midwesterners seem stuck in the "now". I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but I think that proves that my fellow Midwesterners and Chicagoans really do get sensitive about such small and stupid things. Midwesterners may come off as laid back and down to earth at first, but really they're some of most uptight people you can ever meet sometimes, and sometimes they're so polite you'll never be able to form real relationships with anybody because you feel you can't be upfront and honest about things, especially with people from the suburbs. That is how I feel, sorry. New York City and Chicago have some small differences, but the biggest difference I fealt was with the people, which is really almost more East Cost vs. Midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 02:08 PM

12,396 posts, read 13,405,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
IMO -Chicago and NYC are nothing alike. The people, culture, attitude, pace are different. The only thing they share are urbanity and awesome skylines. Both cities are great.
this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
The main difference is residents of NYC are leaving in droves while Chicago residents are staying put.
Dunno about that, me and all 3 of my roommates that I had there all moved there around 2004-2005 and all now live in SF, Charlotte and Denver respectively...Chicago is pretty transient just like nyc/la/sf/dc/boston/etc.
I also know several people that are long term natives that would leave if the economy wasn't so bad... Then I know other people who want to get into NW grad school or the Art Institute or just to move there in general...
Most cities with hot jobs and attractive places to live, like Chicago is, are going to be transient.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:40 PM

10,542 posts, read 13,511,850 times
I guess this settles it once an for all. There is no discernable difference between the two cities except location. The reality makes me sad.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:46 PM

53 posts, read 57,513 times
The are most certainly large differences- I think you were being sarcastic? New York City is simply more at the center of things world wide than Chicago. New York is the more vibrant city, more densly populated, more diverse, and has just as great of architecture as we do in Chicago just in much greater numbers. Chicago has probably just as good of food, but New York does offer more. As was mentioned in previous posts I think the people are also more physically attractive in New York, maybe due to the modeling scene.

Old 12-03-2009, 04:31 AM

2,932 posts, read 2,666,178 times
Pardon me if I'm less impressed with New York's status than many of you here. It's not that it isn't a great city. To state otherwise would be insane.

But the greatness of New York today pales greatly IMHO when matched up against a city far more the nerve center of things important: the New York of the 1920s-1960s.

Now that was a great city.

Artistic talent ran through its vein. It was the cauldron for all that was exciting in creativity...from Broadway shows, to night clubs, to the literary scene, and beyond. Sure finance and big business were highly important but they didn't dominate the way they do today. and the skyline of lower Manhattan soared far greater in the pre-WTC era when its spires reached magically to the sky with an illusion of height that the boxy monsters on the tip of the island today could never convey. New York has been corportarized and sanitized, a parody of what it once was just as the disneyfication of Times Square does.

Somehow I don't think the endless pairs of designer shoes in Sex and the City or the fashion snobbery and elitism of the Devil Wears Prada is what Frank Sinatra had in mind when he observed "those little town blues are melting away."

Today New York is strictly about making a buck. Its about a lifestyle based on gluttony and riches that the neither the US nor the world can afford. New York's vaunted view of itself as The World's Greatest City started only a short time back in the annals of history, back around the 1920s when the United States was morphing into The World's Greatest Nation.

Somehow that title doesn't hold today. And with it goes much of NY's status. And since status is more important than reality to New York and America, the Big Apple will suffer. New York, unlike Chicago, was cursed with that "World's Greatest City" title and thus can not be New York when it ceases to be.

Yes, the power of New York is appreciable, but what "good" has that power done of late as it produces the most banal forms of entertainment and uses Wall Street to harm, not help our nation in an orge of greed.

What type of vision of urban hell do we have in America? Do we really believe the biggest, the largest, the tallest is the best? How absurd. Many people here think that if New York were to grow from 8 million to 20 million and no building in Manhattan would be under 600 ft tall, that would be progress. Is hubris greatness or is it just what it says it is...hubris?

None of this let's Chicago off the hook. We share with New York and other great cities the same superficialities in today's materialistic world operating on its last gasps as predatory capitalism (which isn't even capitalism anymore) runs the planet dry.

How damned filled with ourselves we get about which city outshines the other. How sad we have to look at New York and Chicago to see how they match up rather than to see them as the great cities they are, each with a unique personality and not dependent on each other for who each is.

And in a larger picture, how crazy is it to tout New York as the center of the world when even in this nation, LA more than gives it a run for its buck in so many ways, creative and economic. And in the global world we are now beginning to be fully immersed in, no one is going to elevate any city to king of the universe status.

And while looking at Chicago itself, how insane is it to not see the uniqueness of our city. We are one of a kind, every bit as much as Boston with its English roots, New Orleans with its jazz and wrought iron balconies and San Francisco with its hills, fog, and cable cars. Chicago is one of a kind, the great American city that was the product of America, not Europe...not the English of Boston, the Dutch of New York, the French of New Orleans or the Spanish of Los Angeles. American. Interior. The great American city of the mid-continent that came to be in the American 1800s, its rise paralleling that of a nation moving westward and needing transporation to do so and then industrializing with the strength of immigrants from around the world.

Vast, open lakefront with its endless parks and beaches. The most urbanly canyonized river in the world. The ability to rebuild a city devastated by fire on an open canvass that invited the best architects of the world, willing to break new ground here because we weren't New York or Boston or Philadelphia but uniquely American and willing, desirous, of moving in new directions. A transportation hub of unimagined proportions as a show of rail and highway lines reveal: all roads do lead to Chicago. An ethnic fabric unparraleled in America as immigrants built our neighborhoods during the late 1800s rather than move into existing ones in eastern cities. The connecton between ethnicity and neighborhood in Chicago is unparalleled IMHO. And the flatness, the glorious flatness...the ability to create the flat palette on which quality architecture can rise and create a walkability and thus intamacy and sense of urban place that hilly cities find hard to accomlish. Deep dish pizza, the garden in a bun, el trains scretching around the Loop, the Wrigley Building and Trib Tower guarding the Michigan Ave bridge, State and Madison and the great Chicago grid, Burham, Lettuce Entertain You, Kup, the Mag Mile, State Street that great street and the world's (former) greatest collection of dept. stores, the incredible bulk of the Merchandise Mart, Millennium Park and Navy Pier and the Museum campus as the city gives itself new gifts, lions at the Art Institute and a clock on a store that practically screamed "Chicago" before some pale comparison from New York destroyed the dream.

All I know is that Chicago works for me far more than New York could and that how I view my city is more important to me than how others, particularly outsiders, see it. And my perspective on how I see Chicago is no more dependent on comparing it New York than it is to compare it other great cities like Boston, Washington, Los Angeles, and San Francisco. Chicago doesn't have to stack up to any of them for me....it only has to stack up to Chicago itself. And all things considered, that matchup has it standing up damned well. Thank you. Chicago is a gem and a gem needn't be compared to other gems to achieve greatness. Walk around the heart of the city and through its vibrant neighborhoods and Chicago's status as one of the world's great cities is undeniable and is evident purely through the viewing...not the comparing.

Last edited by edsg25; 12-03-2009 at 05:01 AM..

Old 12-03-2009, 02:48 PM

42 posts, read 36,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
How damned filled with ourselves we get about which city outshines the other. How sad we have to look at New York and Chicago to see how they match up rather than to see them as the great cities they are, each with a unique personality and not dependent on each other for who each is.

And while looking at Chicago itself, how insane is it to not see the uniqueness of our city. We are one of a kind, every bit as much as Boston with its English roots, New Orleans with its jazz and wrought iron balconies and San Francisco with its hills, fog, and cable cars.

All I know is that Chicago works for me far more than New York could and that how I view my city is more important to me than how others, particularly outsiders, see it.

Chicago is a gem and a gem needn't be compared to other gems to achieve greatness. Walk around the heart of the city and through its vibrant neighborhoods and Chicago's status as one of the world's great cities is undeniable and is evident purely through the viewing...not the comparing.
No one can put things in perspective like you. You are asset to this cityn and you speak the truth as far as i'm concerned. BTW I haven't seen your comments over at SSC and SSP. I thought you kept those forums interesting.

Last edited by urbanpln; 12-03-2009 at 02:58 PM..

Old 12-03-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanpln View Post
No one can put things in perspective like you. You are asset to this cityn and you speak the truth as far as i'm concerned. BTW I haven't seen your comments over at SSC and SSP. I thought you kept those forums interesting.
thanks so much for your kind words, urban.

here's the thing with me on this issue. i don't mind if people want to play these games to determine how much more (of whatever) New York has over Chicago. I just resent the assumption that we Chicagoans are a part of the game or that we desire for our city to be like New York or any other city.

i really think we fail to dwell on the very unique factors of Chicago. We allow others to define us in more generic times...a great city, but not necessary one that presents the unique persona of the cities I mentioned above.

That to me is absurd. This is the Great American City, the one city more than any others that was the product of the United States, the one city more than any other made in the image of this nation. No other US city's development goes hand in hand with the development of the United States as it moved westward, developed its transportation system, its industries and the immigrants that ran them like ours. Some may can it hyperbole, but I really believe it. I give Boston credit for its colonial charm, New Orleans for its mix of southern, creole, and black cultures, San Francisco for its sheer exuberence, the golden city of the golden west. But I give Chicago credit for its development of the truly American form of urbanization, the greatest of the midcontiinent where from a small ways removed from the Atlantic, Pacific, and Gulf coasts, only one megacity exists. It is a special place indeed.

Old 12-05-2009, 06:44 PM

259 posts, read 290,184 times
I think people should really step outside the people that specifically know in chicago...the assumption that chicagoans are dull overly nice and uncultured is a false one...please get some exposure.....for yourself lol

Old 12-06-2009, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthfully19 View Post
I think people should really step outside the people that specifically know in chicago...the assumption that chicagoans are dull overly nice and uncultured is a false one...please get some exposure.....for yourself lol
truth, you've nailed it. Chicago is an alpha global city by any measure; its reputation is far spread among its fellow Americans from coast to coast and throughout the world. i'm of the opinion that those who have such absurd paradigm about this city are probably dull and uncultured themselves. seems to me they are much more looking in the mirror spouting such ignorance rather than looking at the Windy City.

I'd feel pretty damned stupid to say that either Boston, New York, Washington, Los Angeles, or San Francisco were dull and uncultured. and equally stupid to say the same about Chicago.

Old 12-06-2009, 12:15 PM

4,779 posts, read 5,169,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
thanks so much for your kind words, urban.

here's the thing with me on this issue. i don't mind if people want to play these games to determine how much more (of whatever) New York has over Chicago. I just resent the assumption that we Chicagoans are a part of the game or that we desire for our city to be like New York or any other city.

i really think we fail to dwell on the very unique factors of Chicago. We allow others to define us in more generic times...a great city, but not necessary one that presents the unique persona of the cities I mentioned above.

That to me is absurd. This is the Great American City, the one city more than any others that was the product of the United States, the one city more than any other made in the image of this nation. No other US city's development goes hand in hand with the development of the United States as it moved westward, developed its transportation system, its industries and the immigrants that ran them like ours. Some may can it hyperbole, but I really believe it. I give Boston credit for its colonial charm, New Orleans for its mix of southern, creole, and black cultures, San Francisco for its sheer exuberence, the golden city of the golden west. But I give Chicago credit for its development of the truly American form of urbanization, the greatest of the midcontiinent where from a small ways removed from the Atlantic, Pacific, and Gulf coasts, only one megacity exists. It is a special place indeed.
But the thing is, that I still wonder about:

If Chicago isn't "tryin" to be like New York, or trying to stack up to other cities,

then why doesn't Chicago and Chicagoans draw more attention to the Pullman neighborhood area? Why don't we have any attractions around Lake Calumet to highlight Chicago was about the agro-industrial world. Now granted thats not today's world, and we have to move on in the post-industrial world (like Chicago has) but if Chicago and its residents are truly comfortable with its history, why then don't we have sattelite campuses of the Museum of Science and Industry at places such as Pullman, the Union Stock Yard gate, and the Calumet harbor (former steel mills), and the food processing along the sanitary and ship canal.

Why don't we have a theme park of railroads, etc.

Boston doesn't live in the "colonial world" but still emphasized its colonial heritage, New Orleans its French-Creole heritage, San Antonio, etc. its Spanish mission heritage.

It seems like Chicago still wants to pick and choose its heritage. And still: people are getting more excited about the Trump Tower and Aqua, and the Museum campus/South Loop buildings, while some of the 1920s architecture are barely known (Palmolive building, Carbon and Carbide, although people know the Board of Trade well). Are we threatened by Asian cities rising skyline? Let them have their glory. Why build and higher and higher? Do we have something to prove?

It seems to me those aforementioned cities: Boston, New Orleans, San Francisco seem in some ways more secure (certainly not necessarily better). Chicago is constantly "reinventing itself" Is Chicago going to keep on doing that forever?

Just some thoughts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago