Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2009, 08:25 PM

7 posts, read 12,044 times

Advertisements

I live in New York but, I'm originally from Houston and I think I would like to move to Chicago. As a college educated African American I believe I'll enjoy everything about the city except the weather. So I wanted to know is Chitown overrated or is it as great as it seems to be? What neighborhoods do you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 07:52 AM

38 posts, read 128,135 times
Chicago is a great city. As far as what neighborhoods to recommend, you'll get about 100 different answers to that question because everyone loves their neighborhood. Chicago truly is a 'city of neighborhoods.' Each neigborhood offers something a little bit different. So it really depends on what kind of neighborhood you would want to live in.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:20 AM

209 posts, read 590,235 times
To get some useful information, you really need to ask more specific questions. For neighborhood recommendations, it would be helpful to know what you're looking for (e.g. Do you want/need to be close to convenient public transportation? Do you want to be in a walkable neighborhood or do you plan to drive everywhere? Do you have a price range or upper price limit?). Your "overrated" question is particularly vague. What is important to you and what are you interested in?

Old 10-30-2009, 05:04 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times
You live in NYC. Chicago is not New York. It is entirely different and a complete waste of your time to play the NYC vs Chicago game. If you have an education and a job the rest is insignificant. If you want to pay for it, you will find Five Star restaurants with world class cuisine. You can find pro sports, too. Otherwise if you can't buy it, order it, eat it or find it, you probably can't have it. If you love the big cities and the noise and the lights you will like Chicago. But if you expect to find a miniature NYC, you will be disappointed. It isn't NY, It's Chicago - the town that Billy Sunday could not shut down - and it a lot of fun.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:40 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,196,783 times
OP. You may want to check out what is currently the 2nd thread in the Chicago forum as it is designed to give neighborhood info. to those thinking about a move. Good luck with your decision making.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago