Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 06:57 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,316,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaloneJill View Post
Actually, some of the worst Interstate driving has to be on I-90 in Minnesota to Mt. Rushmore. It only starts to pick up in the Badlands.

But yes, Illinois is bad because it is as flat as a pancake down I57and 55 for hours.
Try driving I-70 across Kansas. Ten hours of nothingness, and not even anything good on the radio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 07:23 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Try driving I-70 across Kansas. Ten hours of nothingness, and not even anything good on the radio.
I drove out to Fort Riley a few years ago. Once you get west of Des Moines it's a special kind of nothin' out there. I damn near ran myself out of gas because it didn't occur to me I needed to plan that far ahead. It gave me a new appreciation for how easy it is to find gas stations in Illinois/Indiana/Wisconsin/Michigan/Minnesota, even in the rural areas.

After doing that drive, no one will ever be able to convince me we're running out of landfill space.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:20 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,880,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
There's an irony here. Let's imagine you look at US cities that are directly on open water or virtually on it, perhaps slightly blocked by parts of their own metropolitan areas:

the Gulf Coast doesn't really have any unless you label Tampa a major city. Neither New Orleans or Houston, including the main parts of their metro area are on the gulf.

The Atlantic, among major cities, only offers us Boston, New York, Miami; Philadelphia and Baltimore have ocean access, but are inland

The Pacific is pretty much limited to Calif's big three: SD, LA, SF; Seattle and Portland are like Philly and Baltimore.

And the Great Lakes offer up Chicago, Milwaukee, Cleveland, and Buffalo with Detroit offering metropolitan access

Of all those cities, it is the Great Lakes group that offers the best connection to open waters, hands down, from an urban perspective. Why? Cities need buffering from the sheer power of oceans. Oceans may be a desirable location for expensive housing, but oceanfronts make lousy locations for city centers, downtowns, and the true urban cores.

Manhattan works on rivers; it wouldn't on the ocean. And Boston itself is sheltered from the open Atlantic by bay and islands. Miami's downtown exists comfortably on Biscanyne Bay; sink Miami Beach and downtown Miami would be a disaster.

LA's core is well inland from Santa Monica and the Pacific; it is bone dry short of the trickle of water running through concrete that is jokingly referred to as the Los Angeles River. Nobody would build a major core along SF's rather uninviting Pacific shore, downtown happily cross town facing the sheltered waters of the bay. And San Diego uses Coronado like Miami uses Miami Beach.

And then there is Chicago, the most embracing city, by far, to open water in America and arguably in the world. Lake Michigan is an inland sea for all intents and purposes, mercifully short of the sheer forces of the oceans. The result? the smooth transitions of zones: the blue of lake, the gold of beach, the green of park, and the steel of soaring skyline, all living and functioning in sync.

Chicago's lakefront neighbors from downtown going straight north almost to Evanston and increasingly on the south side, too, form a bond with open water that would be impossible in Manhattan.

Chicago's foresight gave it an advantage over other cities in preserving its waterfront, but other midwestern cities have done their part, too. Notably Milwaukee, arguably one of America's most underrated cities. How many US cities, even those on oceans, would kill for Milwaukee's open waters of Lake Michigan with the skyline standing on bluffs above with park and beach along with the water below.

We are all trapped by paradigms. One of those seems to tag Chicago as being "non coastal" when, in fact, the Great Lakes are not lakes in the true sense and only the fresh water eliminates the designation of "sea".

And this viewpoint goes past our metro areas. How silly is it to think that New England is blessed with Cape Cod, North Carolina with the outer banks, California with Big Sur....

and not realize how lucky we are here in the heart of the continent with sea lovers dreams like Michigan's Harbor Country and Mackinac Island, and Wisconsin's Door County.

Fly over country, my arse.
Best. Post. Ever. (At least in the Chicago section.)

Old 10-03-2010, 09:59 PM

42 posts, read 147,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I like the city, I was just back visiting but I personally value a smaller city with most of the amenities and a lot less trafic and housing at 50% of the cost. Not a knock on Chicago, just personal preference.
For a city of its size, Chicago is a pretty good bargain.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:17 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,878,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
2) There really aren't elections in Chicago, it's one party rule with cronyism and corruption. Having several friends from China, it's ironic that Chicago operates pretty much like a city you'd find in China in terms of politics etc.
There aren't elections? Funny, very 4 years I go on work on campaigns, get signatures, etc.

A lot of Chicagoans are just bloody lazy. It's especially embarrassing given that for most people the polling place is a 10 minute walk away.

What I saw in 2007 in the 43rd (Lincoln Park) were tons of transplants who never bothered to register, didn't know there was even an election (), or weren't voting since they were going to be moving away soon.

Democracy requires participation. This isn't Florida or Ohio where Diebold machines didn't work, or people weren't able to vote for a variety of sketchy reasons - votes are counted.

I saw exactly one case of funny business in 07 in the 32nd ward, where Waguespack's volunteers were locked out of a polling place immediately at closing time while Matlak's remained in, but as it went to a run-off anyway they never bothered (as far as I know).

So this whole "we don't have democracy in Chicago" is a self-fulfilling prophecy. What we don't have is an electorate that bothers to vote (this is a country-wide problem of course).

We also don't have anyone who seriously runs on the GOP ticket. The GOP could throw millions at someone just to crack the door open to more public scrutiny, but they choose not to - I'm sure this is a quid pro quo at some level.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:21 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
...What I saw in 2007 in the 43rd (Lincoln Park) were tons of transplants who never bothered to register, didn't know there was even an election (), or weren't voting since they were going to be moving away soon...
I have said this several times on here and I am glad someone actually confirmed it. And since it happens in several wards that have large populations that amounts to a possible election changer.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:28 PM

269 posts, read 717,351 times
I hate to say that I'm part of the problem... but I'm not going to vote when the choice is for two people I pretty much have equal loathing for.

That being said... I haven't missed a vote since 2000 when I didn't care if Bush or Gore got to eff up the country for four years...

Old 10-05-2010, 03:42 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppet123 View Post
I hate to say that I'm part of the problem... but I'm not going to vote when the choice is for two people I pretty much have equal loathing for...
You had no interest in the Cook County President race the last couple times?

Old 10-05-2010, 05:32 PM

269 posts, read 717,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
You had no interest in the Cook County President race the last couple times?
Well... that assumes that I don't mega loathe Stroger.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:51 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,878,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppet123 View Post
I hate to say that I'm part of the problem... but I'm not going to vote when the choice is for two people I pretty much have equal loathing for.

That being said... I haven't missed a vote since 2000 when I didn't care if Bush or Gore got to eff up the country for four years...
Vote 3rd party, then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago