U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 01:55 PM

10,572 posts, read 13,598,370 times
If I remember correctly, the original bungalow floor plan was a 1 1/2 story. If you really want to get confused look at the way houses are described in California. They call bungalows a Craftsman becuse it has a small porch or a gable. You would think they would know better since the original Craftsman Style Bungalow was created in California by two brothers and have very specific and distinct features not found in a standard bungalow. A Craftsman could be builf from the original floor plan to accomdate any confuration. I owned one that was built before 1900.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 02:22 PM

2,685 posts, read 3,115,014 times
Yeah - Chicago Bungalows are 1-1/2 stories and brick, built in the first half of the 20th century. Usually they have a basement and some nice detailing work. If it is a frame building - it is not a Bungalow. There are very few Bungalows in Wicker Park, the older buildings are mostly 2 flats and Workers' Cottages, precursors to Bungalows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I live in an awesome 3 story Wicker Park house that I'll inherit and I just can't live in anything less or else my $32,800 20 bike collection + $22,000? [120 + skirt suit] collection just won't fit!

I'd say bungalows are only worth up to $100,000! They're small!
So you've spent $55,000 on toys and are now complaining you can't afford a house. Brilliant.

As far as cost goes, it can cost $100,000 just to rehab a couple bathrooms and a kitchen. Why would a 2 or 3 bedroom house (that includes the land its on) cost less than a smaller condo with no land?

Old 11-03-2009, 02:25 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,623,928 times
I think that Chicago housing prices are the best I have seen in 10 years. I just sold one of my homes in the North Suburbs before I moved to Canada and I think that the person got a good deal on the property.

Old 11-03-2009, 02:48 PM

352 posts, read 503,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post

So you've spent $55,000 on toys and are now complaining you can't afford a house. Brilliant.
Good observation. I'd like to add that to buy my house in UV I saved for a down payment for over a decade and lived in dumps along the way. I'd pick pennys up off the sreet and throw them in a jar when I got home. I try to stay working and earning at all times. I have little else materially (no car etc) besides a home that is a work in progress.

It's a matter of priorities.

Old 11-03-2009, 02:59 PM

15,589 posts, read 11,859,072 times
What Real Estate is SELLING in Chicago!

Old 11-03-2009, 03:16 PM

2,024 posts, read 3,891,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
If I remember correctly, the original bungalow floor plan was a 1 1/2 story. If you really want to get confused look at the way houses are described in California. They call bungalows a Craftsman becuse it has a small porch or a gable. You would think they would know better since the original Craftsman Style Bungalow was created in California by two brothers and have very specific and distinct features not found in a standard bungalow. A Craftsman could be builf from the original floor plan to accomdate any confuration. I owned one that was built before 1900.

Comparing a Chicago Bungalow to a California Bungalow or even a Milwaukee Bungalow will cause confusion. They have very little in common. A Chicago Bungalow is defined, generally, as one and a half stories, brick, gable perpendicular to the street, living room in front, dining room in middle and kitchen in the back with two bedrooms and a bathroom in between to the side of the kitchen. Of course, I've seen bungalows that vary from the bedroom-bath-bedroom theme, particularly the larger ones.

My grandparents had a workers cottage in McKinnley Park. It was built in the late 1800s and shares many similarities with our bungalow built in the late '20s, but it's a bit smaller, and the layout is a little different. The first bedroom in that house is actually off the living room, which is interesting. The 25' lot also makes it a lot darker inside because it's closer to the houses next to it, creating a sort of "tunnel" effect as you walk through it. You don't get that feeling in the Bungalow, even though the living room, dining room and kitchen are in a line like in the workers' cottage.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:20 AM

4 posts, read 4,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Chicago Real Estate is still TOO Expensive! I looked at Chicago House Listings in the Tribune, and a Bungalow at 4519 N Lowel Ave was $345,000 ! That just too expensive! In my neighborhood, a 3 bdr townhome at 1419 N. Leavit was $850,000! Where's the Housing Bust? I've worked at companies where employees just couldn't afford a Chicago House!

Costs will only rise, and much is already overvalued. This is what happens when your city is run by liberal criminals. Look no further than San Fran to see how a city waves bye-bye to its middle class. Chicago's suburbs continue to grow, city growth is either stagnant or the population is still shrinking. Damn shame.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:30 AM

4,270 posts, read 5,696,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubscrazysinc03 View Post
Costs will only rise, and much is already overvalued. This is what happens when your city is run by liberal criminals. Look no further than San Fran to see how a city waves bye-bye to its middle class. Chicago's suburbs continue to grow, city growth is either stagnant or the population is still shrinking. Damn shame.
Liberal policies cause rising home values?

Criminal.

Let's leave the grade school political analysis to the other discussion forums.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:17 AM

122 posts, read 139,870 times
lol, for some reason I just have a feeling the OP posted this topic with a different intention: to show off his bicycle collection and unique habit...

Old 11-04-2009, 12:31 PM

10,098 posts, read 16,949,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamh View Post
lol, for some reason I just have a feeling the OP posted this topic with a different intention: to show off his bicycle collection and unique habit...
Yep. This one, and every other thread he has ever posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago