U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-05-2009, 10:30 AM

1 posts, read 2,420 times
Default Safety of division blue line stop.

My gf and I are buying a place and are thinking about a place on Marshfield just south of division. We would both be taking the blue line stop to and from work. She also is getting her MBA which means that she may be arriving at the divsion stop at about 930 at night on a weekday. Me I'm not worried about but my question is how safe is this stop for a woman at that time of night? I dont want to have to be worried about her safety everytime she gets out of school at night. (Especially since she is 5 "2" and 105 pounds)

Also, does anyone not recommend buying in that area? Should I look around the next blue line stop at Damen, which may or may not be more safe? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
andy
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 11:55 AM

44 posts, read 62,542 times
I'd say both stops are relatively safe, Damen more so than Division, but both are safe. She should use street smarts as she would in any urban area.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:06 PM

15,589 posts, read 11,772,120 times
These threads should answer your questions.

1400 N. Paulina?

Ukrainian Village

Ukrainian Village Location Safety Question

http://www.city-data.com/forum/chica...le-square.html

Last edited by Avengerfire; 11-05-2009 at 12:23 PM..

Old 11-05-2009, 12:17 PM

1,827 posts, read 1,540,806 times
Yes, it is safe, I use this stop almost daily and have never seen any problems, or experienced any. The Polish Square (it's a triangle - haha) has a lot of drunks hanging around, but I've never had anyone bother me. The Damen stop is probably a bit better, safety wise, but the Division stop isn't bad.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:22 PM

10,065 posts, read 16,873,901 times
I would personally have no problem using that stop on a regular basis--even after dark. But it is near some not-so-nice housing (the low-income complexes of Noble Square). And Wicker Park and Ukranian Village always get some muggers coming in from the west side. Just use typical urban common sense. Try walking your commute after dark and see if there is anything that makes you uncomfortable (like a long walk down a poorly lit side street, for instance).

When I lived in Wicker Park five years ago I lived closer to the Damen stop, but would often use the Division stop if I had to pick something up from Jewel or run another errand in that area. It's definitely sketchier than the area around Damen, but has really gotten a lot better over the last decade.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:27 PM

95 posts, read 81,758 times
I'm female and have used that stop many times, including at night with no problem. It is true that there are a number of homeless at the Polish Triangle, but if you feel unsafe, you can always enter on the west side of Ashland (that's closer to Marshfield anyway).

East Village is a great area. Plenty to do, but with a quiet neighborhood feel as well.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:37 PM

2,685 posts, read 3,097,621 times
The area is fine, just use normal street smarts like in any other part of the city. My wife used to walk home from that stop almost every night for 4 years and never had any problems, and that was about 10 years ago when the area was a bit sketchier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago