Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 03:42 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times

Advertisements

I think that both cities have different kinds of appeal. I, personally, would not want to live in NYC, but my dh loves it there. We are not wealthy enough for the lifestyle he would want to live though. We have relatives in Central Park West and it is interesting that they know most of their neighbors and also the shop owners in their area.

I have a friend who lives in Brooklyn and the feel is entirely different there. Each neighborhood has different things to offer.

One thing about NYC - the number of wonderful museums, libraries, art and music activities within easy walking distance or train commute are super. Chicago has a lot, but the numbers do not compare. OTOH, NYC is much more congested. I remember when I first moved to Chicago, I was surprised at how slow people moved here.

For those who are confused about NYC and its burroughs, here's a map that shows them.
Official New York City Maps and NYC Borough and Neighborhood Guides, Subway Maps, Bus Maps, Bike Maps / nycgo.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 11:55 AM

4,651 posts, read 4,968,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin Eistrup View Post
You show him!

Just some addenda:

A) Elite Midwest colleges are a notch down from the Northeast's: sure, there're more quality public state U's, but fewer quality privates, e.g. UChicago, Northwestern, WUSTL, Purdue, etc., which rank higher nationally.

B) Even multi-racial Chicago cliques are stunted: notice that I don't say group because these are just as provincial and unwelcoming as the ethnic-based ones, the only difference being some other homogenizing factor like social class, gender, or frat/sorority affiliation. NYC is not as into that Greek-system BS, and it shows.

C) And NY city personnel are correspondingly more approachable/flexible/humane than the local overglorified goon-pigs who live to enforce even as their union plummets further literally and figuratively. But don't get me started on the corporate world, which is monopolized in Chicago(land) by ubiquitous cyclops meatheads and harpy hags who have neither the minds nor the souls to perform their careers, only the connections.

D) Chicago's comparatively more-spaced out urban environment has unfortunate repercussions: unprofessional, inefficient behavior, conduct, and work ability are seemingly tolerated here by the populace, and woe to the nail who sticks out and gets himself/herself hassled by naysaying authorities.

E) Chicagoans are very vain people. The distinction is nuanced, which they wouldn't get if their lives depended on it - but NYers would.

F) Lower-income NYers are not only smarter and more productive than their Chicago counterparts, but less violent and prone to crime. Stupid Catch 22 city, the latter...the archtype of Precious's mom is here, not in the Big Apple!
At least we don't talk like this. What the hell are you even trying to say?

Old 01-11-2011, 01:45 PM

17 posts, read 55,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
One thing about NYC - the number of wonderful museums, libraries, art and music activities within easy walking distance or train commute are super. Chicago has a lot, but the numbers do not compare.
This is certainly true, however I think the saddest thing about New York is that it is so expensive that one either has to work such long hours that they can't even enjoy these things, or on the flipside have no money to enjoy them at all. I also think that the longer you stay here, the more you realize that one of everything is certainly enough. Of the multitude of museums and galleries here I'd say I've only been to about 10, and I'm in art history/visual arts...

Old 01-11-2011, 03:17 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,983,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
This is absolutely true. I'm sure it's been said time and time again, but you could do far, far worse than both of these cities. Gentlemen! I have seen the end of the Earth! They call it Nebraska!
Great line. That struck me so funny, as I lived in Omaha for many years. I used to refer to it fondly as Omahole, but really its an ok place. I thought the end of the Earth was somewhere in Kansas, or maybe North Dakota. Though some will defend with firey vigor the joys of life there too, which is great if it works for them. In the end its more how you live, I mean the quality of life you have (good friends, family, and simple pleasures), than where you live. May you all find your own bit of Utopia.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:41 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,333,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
At least we don't talk like this. What the hell are you even trying to say?
I don't think he even knows.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:46 PM

491 posts, read 1,120,951 times
I'm late to this convo but I find the politically correct original post nauseating regarding moving into a neighborhood that "isn't yours to take," particularly the bit about Pilsen.

Do you know what "Pilsen" even is? It's a city the Czech Republic--because that's who used to inhabit that entire neighborhood. Before that Germans, before them Irish.

Sorry, you may have your intentions in the right place, but I totally, totally disagree.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:52 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,333,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
In the 50s and 60s titanic economic and social forces caused migrations akin to the Volkswanderung of late Roman times.

To expect a white homeowner in Austin to resist such a force would be like expecting the average farmer in Gaul to stop the migration of the Franks.
Wow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago