Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 06:30 PM

207 posts, read 506,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebud17 View Post
Not to take sides but i like the chicago style of neighborhoods and how they are spread out to me a little bit better than new york. I pretty much like chicago all around in general just because i like the midwest.
I've always said that Chicago would be a perfect city if we could trade the people here in for New Yorkers. I love Chicago the city but the people who make up this city suck as a whole. Chicago doesnt really have the community spirit and pride that you find in New York...from my time in New York I can honestly say that New Yorkers across the board just seem to be more sophisticated in terms of human relations. The way NY pulled through on 9-11 as a unified front would not have happened here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 07:43 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,875,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxCub Fan View Post
I've always said that Chicago would be a perfect city if we could trade the people here in for New Yorkers. I love Chicago the city but the people who make up this city suck as a whole. Chicago doesnt really have the community spirit and pride that you find in New York...from my time in New York I can honestly say that New Yorkers across the board just seem to be more sophisticated in terms of human relations. The way NY pulled through on 9-11 as a unified front would not have happened here!
just out of curiosity, in NYC how many people are native New Yorkers as opposed to transplants?

I see NYC these days as sort of the over-achiever capital of America. But it seems like it stopped being a city of neighborhoods a while ago, at least in Manhattan.

Is the Bronx really "sophisticated"?

Old 12-06-2010, 12:49 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,725,110 times
Chicagoans are more fiefdom oriented than NYers. NYers may have pride to Brooklyn or Queens, but Chicagoans care more about their particular neighborhood and ethnic group.

Old 12-06-2010, 01:47 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,875,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
Chicagoans are more fiefdom oriented than NYers. NYers may have pride to Brooklyn or Queens, but Chicagoans care more about their particular neighborhood and ethnic group.
I'm guessing we have more natives, and that these mindsets in the northeast have just been scattered outside the NYC limits. Jersey isn't exactly known as a melting pot beacon of tolerance.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:44 PM
gag

683 posts, read 1,421,107 times
I lived in both cities and travel back and forth now.. Trust me, in NY on a budget think only about expense, commute, safety to ease your life. Things like shopping, going to happening places are easily reached by train, bus, car etc. In NYC, in any of the 5 B's, it's more of a street by street thing than here in Chicago, neighborhood by neighborhood. You have to go and be there street by street of a place you're looking at. Price and safety will dictate your ultimate decision. Astoria is a start, Bayside on the low end there, and good areas of Bklyn I know might have too many hipsters for you. Go to the NYC forum and ask Bklyn locals for suggestions there. Hyde Park can't be duplicated there but some areas in BKlyn come closer than Queens. I'm staying on LI in Huntington on business paying $1850/mo for 3 bdrm/2 bath duplex and not bad. Gotta go now. goodluck

Old 12-06-2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
just out of curiosity, in NYC how many people are native New Yorkers as opposed to transplants?

I see NYC these days as sort of the over-achiever capital of America. But it seems like it stopped being a city of neighborhoods a while ago, at least in Manhattan.

Dude dont get offended...New Yorkers are just more advanced than Chicagoans I have lived in both place so trust me on this...there are many reasons for this:

a. The northeast coast is the education hub of the US with schools like Harvard, Princeton, Yale, NYU, etc. and when these people graduate they usually head to NY for careers.

b. NYC is a more worldly and ethnically diverse city than Chicago so the life education provided by the environment creates a broader perspective, and people are more embracing and open to communicating and dealing with people of different cultures. Chicagoans pretty much stick to their race and are absolutely clueless when it comes to any ethnic groups other than their own.

c. New York is more of a limitless culture...where Chicago is more of "play by the rules" kind of city

d. New York's overcrowded population creates intense competition, so education wise and professionally everyone brings their "A" game.

e. NY'ers are very proud people

Even the derelicts in New York have some type of enterprising tactic (wash a window, shine your shoe, bottle recycling) unlike our bums who just beg with a disgusting sense of entitlement.

New York Housing Projects even turns out very successful people which speaks volumes about their education system. And these people aim to leave the projects, where as Chicago families live in housing projects for generations while milking the government for welfare and assistance.

And to answer your question YES parts of the Bronx are sophisticated...its the home of Fordham University which is a damn good school.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
I lived in both cities and travel back and forth now.. Trust me, in NY on a budget think only about expense, commute, safety to ease your life. Things like shopping, going to happening places are easily reached by train, bus, car etc. In NYC, in any of the 5 B's, it's more of a street by street thing than here in Chicago, neighborhood by neighborhood. You have to go and be there street by street of a place you're looking at. Price and safety will dictate your ultimate decision. Astoria is a start, Bayside on the low end there, and good areas of Bklyn I know might have too many hipsters for you. Go to the NYC forum and ask Bklyn locals for suggestions there. Hyde Park can't be duplicated there but some areas in BKlyn come closer than Queens. I'm staying on LI in Huntington on business paying $1850/mo for 3 bdrm/2 bath duplex and not bad. Gotta go now. goodluck

Just curious why and how exactly do you live in both cities? Im thinking of attempting this next year because I've been offered a position in NY but I also have business in Chicago.

Old 12-07-2010, 02:58 AM

96 posts, read 192,727 times
I dont know to me neighborhoods are just less confusing in chicago to me than new york and they just have this look like you dont get in new york for the fact of they are completely if not all of theme surrounded by buildings obviously since chicago does not offer as many buildings you get a break here and there between neighborhoods. Alot of places in the midwest have beutiful neighborhoods now for theme winning as pricy new york will always take the ticket but you have to remember when you go to a city on a certain income and just want a roof over your head chicago apartments and houses from what i saw when i was there last year are not to much bigger or smaller and just as nice to me. I think price is what seperates new york neighborhoods the biggest. When you can get a pinthouse apartment in chicago overlooking lake michigan for not even a comparison price in terms of cheap compared to new york in you actually walk in the apartments and look at theme with the view and everything i think people stop and think why are they so much cheaper.

Old 12-07-2010, 03:30 AM

60 posts, read 173,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxCub Fan View Post
LOL, what possibilities!

Chicago - Chicagoans + NewYorkers = Toronto! (with maybe a slice of Boston to account for the extra Latin folks)

NYC - NewYorkers + Chicagoans = Los Angeles! (oh, where to begin...from the fact that SoCal was largely settled by these vermin, to Hollywood's covert-racist casting, to...heh heh)

But yeah, if Sears/Willis and John Hancock had been double-teamed one after the other:

The short-term effects would've been more casualties - courtesy of CPD, whom NYPD schools and then some.

The long-term effects would've been the opposite of the lightening and life-affirming effects on NYC, i.e. a gradual downward spiral of city-wide miasma culminating in a mass-shootout that would've dwarved that Haymarket Square thing.

Old 12-07-2010, 03:39 AM

60 posts, read 173,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post

With all due respect, C-t N - you're one of the finest in this forum alongside Manigault, CarolinaBredChicagoan, ematthais - allow me to address your points:

1) If certain NYC boroughs skew more transplant than native, or vice versa, then certain Chicago "sides" show the same skewing.

Transplant > Native

Manhattan
Brooklyn
Loop and Central Chicago, i.e. not considered north, south, or west
NorthSide

Native > Transplant

Queens
Bronx
SouthSide
WestSide

(I've left out Staten Island, which would correspond to Evanston, Oak Park, and other inner-ring 'burbs had they been annexed.)

2) If Manhattan has ceased to be community-oriented, then so has the Loop and all adjacent environs - River/Near North and South Loop in particular are little more than upper-income enclaves masquerading as 'hoods in the sense that you seem to imply.

3) Where is the West Side's equivalent to Fordham U?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago