Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 11:04 PM

3,695 posts, read 4,964,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NearWestSider View Post
The neighborhoods surrounding UIC are an order of magnitude classier and more civilized than the upper lakefront. That was not the case ten years ago, but it is the case today.
I wouldn't agree with that one. University village is nice but little italy is still a slumish area. There are some parts that are better than ten years ago, and the worst parts have been pushed futher west, but still that area can be a tad dicy at times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 11:40 PM

440 posts, read 1,496,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
I wouldn't agree with that one. University village is nice but little italy is still a slumish area. There are some parts that are better than ten years ago, and the worst parts have been pushed futher west, but still that area can be a tad dicy at times.
Yeah, and there are some parts of Liconln Park that are still "slumish", too, and a tad "dicey" at that. What is the point of your argument? That the gentrification Nazis need to scour any given neighborhood to rout out the "inferior" properties before it can be blessed as officially "Gentrified"? Please explain. FYI, there ar a LOT of properties in Edgewater, which, by the way, is the sanest (and my favorite) of the upper lakefront neighborhoods, that are "slumish", not to mention the fact that eh CHA is moving to Edgewater big time.

And the West Loop? WAY more civilized than Uptown, Edgewater, or Rogers Park. Sorry to inform you, but its true.....

My advice is instead of wasting time on this message board, go out and price real estate in "Little Italy" (GOD I HATE THAT TERM, why can't you yuppies call it "Taylor Street", like it has been called since the beginning of time?). I think you will be unpleasantly surprised, just like you will be if you do the same with "Pilsen", or "Bridgeport", or "Brighton Park", and it begs the question: When can we stop deluding ourselves with this stereotypical ego- gibberish? The fact is, "dicey" or not, I can't afford any of the above, and neither can you.

Last edited by NearWestSider; 11-10-2009 at 11:56 PM..

Old 11-11-2009, 12:11 AM

15,585 posts, read 27,453,001 times
Quote:
Yeah, and there are some parts of Liconln Park that are still "slumish"...
Like?

Old 11-11-2009, 12:47 PM

11,973 posts, read 31,649,227 times
Quote:
The neighborhoods surrounding UIC are an order of magnitude classier, laid back, lower crime, and generally more civilized than the upper lakefront, and many of the other parts of the North Side.
While there is definitely some truth to this, I won't buy the argument wholesale. The West Loop, "University Village", and some other eastern parts of Pilsen have surpassed much of Rogers Park, Uptown, and Edgewater in terms of ammenities--and perhaps safety in some instances. Throw Tri-Taylor in there too, I suppose. And of course the Medical campus has transformed a large chunk of that area too. But there is still some shady stuff going on around there. And West Side shady is still quite a bit worse than North Side shady. If you squint your eyes you can ignore the fact that much of the near west side is either Barrio, slum, or no-man's land.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Like?
Probably the blocks of low-income housing around North Avenue, and of course the Marshall Field Homes (which are south of Lincoln Park, I suppose). But this is a drop in the bucket compared to the overall ethos of Lincoln Park.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:13 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,659,805 times
Quote:
go out and price real estate in "Little Italy" (GOD I HATE THAT TERM, why can't you yuppies call it "Taylor Street", like it has been called since the beginning of time?).

No ****. Nothing gives away a rube quicker than calling Taylor Street "Little Italy". New York wannabes I presume.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
No ****. Nothing gives away a rube quicker than calling Taylor Street "Little Italy". New York wannabes I presume.
I don't often use the term, but of course everyone in today's Chicago knows what it means. The businesses on Taylor have been actively promoting the "Little Italy" name for decades now. Google search "Little Italy Chicago", and you'll find hundreds of web pages dedicated to the Taylor Street strip. So I guess Metromix, The Chicago Tribune, The Chicago Sun-Times, Wikipedia, and pretty much every other recognized publication in or about Chicago are filled with "rubes".

The tendency of some Chicagoans to set ridiculous criteria for being a "real Chicagoan" is really provincial. You all sound like southerners complaining about "Yankees" and "Carpet Baggers".

Old 11-11-2009, 03:02 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,844,162 times
Quote:
Probably the blocks of low-income housing around North Avenue, and of course the Marshall Field Homes (which are south of Lincoln Park, I suppose). But this is a drop in the bucket compared to the overall ethos of Lincoln Park.
The 'blocks of low-income housing around North Avenue' are known by residents as Cabrini Green. And they are not in Lincoln Park. Nor are there any other public housing projects in Lincoln Park. A person who isn't familiar enough with the neighborhood to know these things probably shouldn't be making recommendations about it.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
The 'blocks of low-income housing around North Avenue' are known by residents as Cabrini Green.
I'm not talking about Cabrini Green, which is actually several blocks south of the area I am discussing. I'm talking about the low-income housing just north of North Avenue kitty corner from the Father and Son strip mall. There are several buildings there that have some sort of low-income subsidy situation, and they are grouped together. When I lived in the area I rarely noticed any trouble from these buildings, but some people are wary of them.

And of course, at North Avenue and Sedgwick there are the Marshall Field homes (just south of North Avenue), which are CHA and are very very close to Lincoln Park.

What is with all of the clueless posters insulting people these days?

Old 11-11-2009, 03:31 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,421,310 times
^^There's also the 300 w. North Av mid-rise which is at least partially subsidized senior care in Old Town Triangle. Not to mention the Lathrop Homes directly on the other side of the border between Lincoln Park and Lakeview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago