Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 03:00 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,287,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
EVERY DAY.......I've been here for 5 years and this place is a total............................................. .................................................( look at my location above^)

Not one day goes by, that I don't think about leaving. I am planning my next move now. If things go well, I'll be in my new home by May 2010

Chicago has a beautiful downtown and that's about it.
Good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 11:57 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,160,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Chicago is still highly racially segregated. Don't believe me, send a black guy into Mayor Daley's neighborhood someday and watch how long it takes for him to get jumped or questioned by police.
Ah... no. I'm in that neighborhood all the time, and so are black people. And they are not jumped nor are they thrown across the hood of a squad car on sight.

Old 11-28-2009, 12:31 AM

1,435 posts, read 2,778,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Ah... no. I'm in that neighborhood all the time, and so are black people. And they are not jumped nor are they thrown across the hood of a squad car on sight.
I'm white and I was jumped by police walking home- I chose not to drive- from a party in Northwest suburbs. This means nothing. Cops always look for loosers and as long as you have nothing to hide and keep your posture OK, what's there to complain about.

Old 11-28-2009, 12:42 AM

1,435 posts, read 2,778,685 times
As for living in the city or in the suburbs... if one is a city employee they're stck there. But everyone else should look into lower car registration fees (and restrictions about pick-ups, B plated vehicles), lower insurance rates, and school districts that are consistiently rated one of the best in the Nation.
My kids used those in Arlington Heights and currently graduated from Loyola University and University of Illinois at Chicago. Something I'm afraid they would not acheived staying in Chicago's Catholic schools or the public elementaty schooling that was availiable to us than!

Old 11-28-2009, 11:42 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,784,652 times
Someone should point out that Mayor Daley moved to the South Loop from Bridgeport years ago.

Old 11-28-2009, 11:53 AM

28 posts, read 81,082 times
Wow seems like so much fighting going on here! It's silly.

Anyway I live in wrigleyville and love it here. But I am ready for something new so I'm strongly considering a move to Denver so I can be closer to the mountains. Part of it is because Chicago is expensive but the main reason is for the lifestyle that I prefer. Chicago is a great city for running, biking and playing out in the lake / by the lakefront but once it gets cold around here there's nothing to do but watch football and drink beer (not saying that's a bad thing - just gets old). So to answer the OPs question, yes, I think about leaving so much that I've made a plan to finally do so. I will miss my family and friends more than anything in the city.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:27 PM

78,352 posts, read 60,556,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Someone should point out that Mayor Daley moved to the South Loop from Bridgeport years ago.
Go say "Mayor Daley's neighborhood" to 10 people and most that I know will say...."oh, Bridgeport".

Old 12-01-2009, 01:28 PM

78,352 posts, read 60,556,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Lenard Clark.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:32 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,160,449 times
Quote:
Lenard Clark.
One incident.

Thirteen years ago.

That didn't even happen in Bridgeport.

And one that doesn't negate the fact that hundreds of black people go shopping/drinking/dining in Bridgeport -- sometimes side by side with cops -- every day without incident.

So as to your challenge "send a black guy into Mayor Daley's neighborhood someday and watch how long it takes for him to get jumped or questioned by police," they send themselves in all the time. Evidently it takes a long time before they "get jumped or questioned by police" since they keep going back.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:32 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,604,670 times
Quote:
Lenard Clark.
That was almost 13 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago