Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 08:28 PM

148 posts, read 386,469 times

Advertisements

325 N Wells, 60654
is this area a good part of town for a white female in her mid 20's?
are there any affordable (not over 1100/mo) apartments near by?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 08:44 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,998,064 times
It's downtown. The area is safe but not sure if you want to live there. Downtown kinda lacks neighboorhood vibe. Also you can probably get more space for your money and a more intresting place to live elsewhere. Although there are some nice events downtown. Question why there? In what area is your work\school? You can get better answers that way.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:56 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
^That info is in the thread below:^

Chicago School of Professional Psychology

Mod please merge this thread into the above thread.

325 N. Wells is the address for the school:

TheChicagoSchool: Graduate Psychology Degrees: Business, Clinical, Counseling & Forensic Psychology

Old 11-22-2009, 08:59 PM

295 posts, read 837,892 times
325 N. Wells - *Yawn* It's safe. The Downtown/Loop neighborhood dies once everyone goes home from work.

If you're looking to stay close to that area, but want more of a "neighborhood", check out the Gold Coast/River North, it's to the north and a LOT more fun.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:04 PM

the address i was asking about was at a school that i want to go to. i was looking at apartment near by and River North Park caught my eye. anyone have any information about those apartments or area? i would like to stay under 1000/mo. studio is good enough.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:11 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Yes it is safe, yes it is downtown -- basically across from the Merchandise Mart which is a kind of higher end design showcase / sales office for many companies that sell both consumer and commercial furnishings. I mention this as the building is sort of a hub for the El trains and thus easy to use a landmark for judging how long a commute you would have. There are rental units available that are well within a 30 minute commute to the west, north, and south -- heading east you might find some, but that would be toward some the priciest real estate in the city...

If you are a student the best bet might stuff in the south loop or near UIC.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:17 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,998,064 times
Under $1000 a month in downtown is tricky. Downtown is just not the kind of place most people would like to live. It is expensive, lacking in neighborhood type amenities and so on. There are some nice things about downtown and some people like it but it just isn’t much of a residential neighborhood.

You can get more for your money in places like lake view, buck town, Wicker Park, Irving Park, Bridgeport and so on. Public transit is great to downtown so long as you live near an el line.

A better question is what kind of neighborhood would you like and what amount of commute time can you tolerate. In addition I should warn you that downtown is not car friendly. There is no free parking in the area and the traffic is bad most of the day

Old 11-22-2009, 09:19 PM

I am familiar with the merchandise mart as I visited Chicago in July so I know the whereabouts of the school. I just wasn't in that area much so that's why I ask how the neighborhood is. I would less of a commute if it is within my means that's why I asked about River North Park.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:29 PM

I would like to live somewhere where I feel somewhat safe. Grocery store, coffee shop, Walgreens, etc..somewhere that isn't completely dead. I would like the commute time to be 30 minutes or less. when i was in chicago, the area i was mostly in was by michigan avenue. the streets i remember being on were, chestnut st, oak st, state st, superior st, etc. i know that is nowhere near where i am talking about but i thought i would share the area i knew more of.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:58 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aenej4 View Post
...the area i was mostly in was by michigan avenue. the streets i remember being on were, chestnut st, oak st, state st, superior st, etc. i know that is nowhere near where i am talking about but i thought i would share the area i knew more of.
Gold Coast and the Magnificent Mile are far closer to the school than Lake View, Bucktown, Wicker Park, Irving Park, and Bridgeport are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago