Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 08:27 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,235,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
I remember a neighborhood scene with the high-rises of the Loop (Sears Tower, etc) in the background.
Yep, thats the scene that sticks out most in my mind. I was like, how do homes that look like that end up so close to downtown. Looked like suburbia next to downtown. I suspect some nice camera trickery in that shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 07:04 AM

4,620 posts, read 8,140,588 times
When they filmed "Road to Perdition," they had a whole mass of vintage cars parked on what was then a surface parking lot on the NW corner of Kinzie and Lasalle (now that's a highrise). I don't remember seeing them filming, but I liked seeing all those old cars on my commute.

Living in the River North neighborhood, with it's gritty urban locales means a lot of films shot in Chicago that need a gritty urban backdrop shoot at least a few scenes here.

I saw (and heard) them filming The Beast. A number of key alley scenes were filmed less than a block from my house (in the alley behind the restaurant Prosecco, which is a great Italian place if you're ever looking for a nice Italian fine dining meal and don't want to pay Spiaggia's prices).

I saw them filming both of the two latest Batman films.

I saw them filming some sort of kidnap scene on the corner of Lasalle and Randolph last summer.

I saw them filming the "L" via helicopter for what I think must have been the wild on-top-of-the-"L" scenes in Wanted.

I didn't see filming for it, but it walked past Dominic Purcell (Lincoln Burrows) on Chicago Avenue by Franklin during Prisonbreak's first season. And I've seen Vince Vaughn coming out of the 1 Superior apartment building at State and Superior (man is he tall!).

I've seen a number of unidentified things filmed on "L" platforms. The Chicago Brown Line stop was really popular for the curve in the platform before they rehabbed it. it's still popular for a nice in-line shot of the Sears Tower and because there are buildings on both sides, but I think it loses something without the curve.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:56 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,151,368 times
When they were filming "Native Son" on the south side, the folks pulled up a number of the parking signs to move the look back to the 1920's. The houses were fine, however, as was the snow which was falling.

Movie filming in the area is a mixed blessing for me -- it plays havoc with the parking.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:41 AM

1,043 posts, read 3,713,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Most of it was filmed in Toronto. I don't think much was filmed here at all. I would have to watch it again to pick out any Chicago shots.
I hate when Movie Studios do that to save costs. It makes the film not feel as "authentic" to me.

I also have a pet-peeve of seeing the main characters in a Movie who are supposedly living in Chicago always having the "L" tracks right outside their bedroom window. Who in their right mind would want to live near that?

Old 12-11-2009, 12:14 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,519,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITChick View Post
...I also have a pet-peeve of seeing the main characters in a Movie who are supposedly living in Chicago always having the "L" tracks right outside their bedroom window. Who in their right mind would want to live near that?
Thousands of people live near the tracks.

Old 12-11-2009, 02:12 PM

313 posts, read 594,782 times
Quote:
I hate when Movie Studios do that to save costs. It makes the film not feel as "authentic" to me.

I also have a pet-peeve of seeing the main characters in a Movie who are supposedly living in Chicago always having the "L" tracks right outside their bedroom window. Who in their right mind would want to live near that?
A lot of people do, and yeah, it sucks. You'd think there would be a bigger discount on the units that are up against the tracks, but there must be a lot of people who don't mind that much

Old 12-11-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Thousands of people live near the tracks.
Yes, but not because they want to, and if they could afford to live facing something nicer, I think they would go for it. It's not something desirable that should be romanticized in a movie that's set in Chicago.

Old 12-11-2009, 05:19 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,519,245 times
Quote:
Yes, but not because they want to, and if they could afford to live facing something nicer, I think they would go for it. It's not something desirable that should be romanticized in a movie that's set in Chicago.
Nope. Not in all cases. Most people choose to live near the tracks. It is desirable if someone has loud children,plays music loud,has loud sex,or wants to live close to a train station.

Old 12-11-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Careless View Post
A lot of people do, and yeah, it sucks. You'd think there would be a bigger discount on the units that are up against the tracks, but there must be a lot of people who don't mind that much
Every building that I rented in that offered apartments facing the tracks were always cheaper. If you wanted to be on the opposite end away from them, you had to pay more rent. For me it was worth it.

Old 12-11-2009, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Nope. Not in many cases. It is desirable if someone has loud children,plays music loud,has loud sex,or wants to live close to a train station.
Loud Sex? LOL! That reminds me of the many times while riding the "L" from Howard to Downtown that I would see a naked couple or person(s) in the windows from the train. Not all of them were attractive either!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago