U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-27-2011, 07:00 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,172,629 times

Advertisements

edsg25:

great write up... I agree with you. I have exams to study for but when I'm ready for a study break I'll give you my analysis. It's truly a great city that has as much potential now as it did in 1893.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:08 PM

41 posts, read 55,889 times
I would like to have the July 3rd fireworks show back.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:25 PM

32 posts, read 34,446 times
While I am still 100% sure a lot of that loss has to do with an undercount, it should serve as no surprise that a lot of the South and West sides would continue to clear out. I am not sure but didn't these areas still lose population or stagnate in 2000?

Chicago especially to people like me a relative outsider, has always been like 3 cities in one. Sure the North side and loop is this and that but honestly the rest of the city either sucks or is kind of just okay.

A lot of crime, high costs of living, poor employment prospects, cold weather, poor education, and an increasingly mobile population, yeah no city in the country grew with that stat line and that describes 2/3 of Chicago.

I said before that this city is honestly underachieving if it is anything less than the true "second city" of the U.S. and frankly a lot of people believe that, especially Chicagoans (?) who care about that kind of stuff, because its true. So that is probably what most people want of Chicago, stop underachieving, be the city the whole world knows it can be.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:45 PM

798 posts, read 1,250,491 times
As a new resident here, I see a city with so much potential but is full of political corruption. That's my only complaint but all I can do about it is just vote for now.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:50 PM

4,094 posts, read 1,280,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldus View Post
That's my only complaint but all I can do about it is just vote for now.
At least you vote. Thank you.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:01 AM

798 posts, read 1,250,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
At least you vote. Thank you.
Well actually I haven't yet ... I moved here and registered to vote but not in time for the mayoral election. It seems like this city is basically ruled by democrats to the point of being unbalanced. This is coming from someone who is more of a moderate democrat. Just my initial impressions. I never hear about Republicans much around here. I never thought I would do this after the Bush era, but I think this city needs to balance itself out more politically and I would vote Republican as long as I knew they would be serious about fighting the deficit by cutting spending and not raising taxes. Seems like the democrats here will not ever do that.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldus View Post
Well actually I haven't yet ... I moved here and registered to vote but not in time for the mayoral election.
Depending on what ward you are in, you might be able to vote in April in an Aldermanic runoff race.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:44 AM

1,095 posts, read 1,175,550 times
Take care of its soaring homicide rate and bring it down by 2/3. Start revitalizing the downtown core(Loop) and make it an exciting destination for families, club goers, students, visitors. I was there recently, and the downtown shuts down after 9:30 even on weekend nights unless there's a play at one of the theaters. There's is almost no club or movie theater downtown. Everything is north of the river nonsense. Forget Rush St. and bring the actions downtown. Start revitalizing downtown with making the Block 37 complex viable with full occupation of the retail space.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
Start revitalizing the downtown core(Loop) and make it an exciting destination for families, club goers, students, visitors. I was there recently, and the downtown shuts down after 9:30 even on weekend nights unless there's a play at one of the theaters.
If you make downtown exciting for families you limit how exciting it can be for club goers, students,and visitors.

The city already did what you said and it killed downtown in many ways for club goers, students, and visitors.

Downtown used a place you could get anything. No more.

Family friendly or party friendly. You can't have both.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:17 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,172,629 times
It's technically called "Second City" after its rebirth following the Chicago Fire...but.. I get your point and agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago