U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-06-2011, 12:31 PM

12,395 posts, read 13,418,882 times
The loop would definitely be better with more residential...but yeah the loop is rather dead after about 6 west of state street, north of congress, and south of the river. It's because there aren't any residents down there, I would be surprised if there is more than 7k people there. Most people down there live East of Michigan, south of Harrison, or north of the river. Probably the only thing open 24 hours down there is mcdonalds on wells and mr submarine on van buren. There is a target opening on state, so that should help attract more people. The french market under ogilsvy is pretty cool too, they need to advertise themselves better. I think some of the older class A office space is cheap enough now there to convert to apartments. More buildings like Hancock (mixed residences) would be better in the loop proper. Also need to have some better restaurants in the loop, the selection now is pretty Meh.
Chicago definitely needs more parks to break it up. If I were the city all this vacant land I would cease it to development and build a park.

Check out the land area on wells from harrison to polk, perfect space for a park right there, people are already going in there and letting their dogs take dumps anyhow. Not huge but it is 2x1 city blocks of space, and nobody is wanting to buy it.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...h&z=17&iwloc=A

There is also a ton of land directly south of roosevelt just a big open field. The one area that looks like a park, a little 1/2 block by 1/2 block...well, it was a park with rabbits and apple trees, yes apple trees, they just razed it I believe...ugh.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&sa...211.98,,0,4.95

Look at this eye sore, right across from Target on Clark/Roosevelt.

I think CSX or their holding companies owns all this land just wasting away there while condos go up all around them.

All these surface parking lots need to go bye bye as well

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,0.006539&z=18

Also the entire area confined between Diversey/Kennedy Expressway/Clybourn could use some serious renewal. That is prime land next to DT. You could easily add some condos/dev there and put in 50k people and create a new neighborhood instead of a bunch of empty lots

Last edited by grapico; 03-06-2011 at 12:50 PM..

Old 03-06-2011, 02:36 PM

10,180 posts, read 4,008,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
Danny, I do. I like the neighborhoods like Wicker Park, Wrigley, Lincoln Park, Westside, River North, Michigan Ave and Hyde Park. I reinterate, Chicago is way more fun than New York. However, with that said, I'm surprised that you're not asking for its downtown(loop) to improve with more amenities and add nightlife to the area. If San Jose can do it, putting all those stuffs even it has housing with people living there, then Chicago should do so. There are alot of nightlife in Dt. San Jose, as you've seen, but there are also people living there, too. It shouldn't be a problem. When I was downtown Chicago, I felt that everyone has left or leaving after 9 Pm Fri., and I felt it was dead and lonely. I'm not in the right part of the town to enjoy the actions. I guess the students living in the Loop feel the same way. Also, I mentioned there's no grocery and other essential things we take for granted. In Dt. SJ, as you've seen, it's all covered and adequate. I want Chicago to be like that, too. There is no reason for it to be lagging since you're not in Yosemite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
I guess this is touchy subject for Danny or Omshahi since this is his hometown. He knows that I'm right or he would have let me have it. However, the loop is nowhere as bad as Phoenix or Houston since there's good number of highrises, especially recently. It looks respectful and it still use more development on the remaining surface lots(close to library and few by the river west area). The downtown has State St. shopping(ok, not great. Oh, don't forget the mostly empty Block 37) and theaters. It also has growing cupcakes, fast foods and kabob places. That's way better than Dallas, Phoenix, Detroit, Houston and slightly better than Dt. LA. As for the rest of the city, it's fun, and the food is great. Gee, I love Gino East and Lou Manatti. I like hanging out at Wrigleyville. The girls are cool, and I love those hot dogs.
It's not an emotional subject for me at all though.

I can take criticism for my city, and I'm definitely not delusional nor am I a liar. I only give credit where it's due and nothing else. The thing I want to see Chicago work on first is to care for its people first, lower crime, and make its schools better, everything else is a secondary.

You may have seen my new thread about "Bay Area vs Boston vs Philadelphia" now that thread is crawling with delusion there is no reason that Philadelphia should be within 2 votes of the Bay Area in a discussion about the "most important city" and in fact you and I both know that out of those three, Philadelphia is a distant 3rd in terms of importance. Homers on this site irritate me on how delusional they can be, which motivates me more not to be like that and make all these far fetched claims. The fact that Philadelphia is beating Boston there says enough, you simply cant take everything people on here say too seriously, there's just so much denial and delusion that it's not even funny.

I agree with this though, Chicago needs to make the Loop more entertaining, and the architecture, food, and stuff like that are great for a while but the vibrancy needs to pick up and it needs more options for entertainment for sure. Chicago can definitely be better than it is right now, but I think it has a few things it should work on before working on the Loop.

Last edited by DANNYY; 03-06-2011 at 03:00 PM.. Reason: Tweak.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:58 PM

2,426 posts, read 2,923,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Homers on this site irritate me on how delusional they can be, which motivates me more not to be like that and make all these far fetched claims. The fact that Philadelphia is beating Boston there says enough, you simply cant take everything people on here say too seriously, there's just so much denial and delusion that it's not even funny.
Tell me about it. That's probably the thing that annoys me most about the city-data forums. So many people think their city is "the best" for no apparent reason other than the fact that they happen to be associated with that city through sheer accident of birth. I also get the impression that many of those people haven't really travelled much, haven't broadened their horizons, nor do they appear to care to. I always find myself stifling the urge to tell such people, "You need to get out more."

There are a lot of very experienced, intelligent, knowledgeable people on this site, but sadly, that's offset by so many others who just don't have a clue.

Getting back to the Loop, when I worked there (and admittedly this was more than ten years ago), I was somewhat disappointed by the lack of dining options I encountered at lunchtime. Oh sure, there were plenty of fast food places, both chains and independents, and sandwich and salad shops and cheap tasteless pasta and all that, but not a lot that was really interesting or unique, and I didn't have time to travel north or west of the river in search of better options. I thought it was just me, that I simply didn't know where to go, but after reading posts in this thread, I realize that others have noticed it too.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:35 PM

400 posts, read 476,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
All I want from Chicago is a local hardware store in the center of the financial district.
Clark and Barlow is pretty close.
And there is a Home Depot at Roosevelt
by the expressway.

I think that would be cool though,
I am in my hardware store phase.....

Old 03-07-2011, 12:00 AM

9,258 posts, read 10,860,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Getting back to the Loop, when I worked there (and admittedly this was more than ten years ago), I was somewhat disappointed by the lack of dining options I encountered at lunchtime. Oh sure, there were plenty of fast food places, both chains and independents, and sandwich and salad shops and cheap tasteless pasta and all that, but not a lot that was really interesting or unique,
"Dining options"? Big deal, it's lunch for Christ's sake. God forbid you have a ham sandwich, a bag of Cheetos and a banana and then put your nose back to the grindstone.

Last edited by Irishtom29; 03-07-2011 at 12:11 AM..

Old 03-07-2011, 12:12 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,923,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Big deal, it's lunch for Christ's sake. You're so refined. God forbid you have a ham sandwich, a bag of Cheetos and a banana and then put your nose back to the grindstone.
Well, yes, that's OK for everyday lunches, but sometimes you want to go out with a group of coworkers and go somewhere a little special. And there really wasn't anyplace like that within easy walking distance of the office, at least not that I could see. There was either only fast food or burger-joint taverns and not a heck of a lot else. Quite frankly, I found that a little strange in a city the size of Chicago. Heck, I had better luck with finding interesting places to eat back when I worked in downtown Cleveland.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier xerxes View Post
Clark and Barlow is pretty close.
And there is a Home Depot at Roosevelt
by the expressway.

I think that would be cool though,
I am in my hardware store phase.....
There is a nice local hardware store around Halstead/Randolph... I mean, this is a hardcore local place, they have all kinds of weird stuff in there...

Old 03-07-2011, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Well, yes, that's OK for everyday lunches, but sometimes you want to go out with a group of coworkers and go somewhere a little special. And there really wasn't anyplace like that within easy walking distance of the office, at least not that I could see. There was either only fast food or burger-joint taverns and not a heck of a lot else. Quite frankly, I found that a little strange in a city the size of Chicago. Heck, I had better luck with finding interesting places to eat back when I worked in downtown Cleveland.
Have been in this situation...would often taxi it with a few friends or department to somewhere in the west loop off randolph, somewhere up in river north, or down to chinatown...This is with several companies too...so obviously at least among our little group, there is demand for it.
The loop area has some pretty high end chainy places such as Morton's/McCormick Schmidts/Nick's Fish Market/Rosebud which I generally won't pay for at lunch or low end fast food type places/chains like Panera/Mr Submarine/Chipotle/Cosi/Subway/Burrito Beach/Alonti/Au Bon Pain/Cafe Baci which I'd rather just not eat...but not much in between.
There are several places on wells that are decent though, north of madison. There was a good indian buffet on wells above 7-11 but it looks to be closed now. Petra (middle eastern place with euro soccer on all the time) also closed down.

Instead of just griping, I will list some good mid range places though with good food, non chainy...

Bacino's (pretty decent italian)
Boni Vino (total dive italian, but good food)
Siam Rice (little yuppie thai restaurant, but the food is good, prices are reasonable sub 10 bucks.)
Monk's Pub (kind of hidden away, great atmosphere, great burgers)
Perry's Deli (cool little sandwich shop, makes great sandwiches, tons of meat)
Shalom Deli (decent kebab/falafel)

yeah that's about it...

The loop though is a pretty poor representation of the ethnic mix you can get in Chicago, I will actually say it is the worst area in the city for food outside some of the "bad" neighborhoods that don't really have restaurants,... I am thinking because they are largely catering to tourist and suburban commuters taste buds.

You can't even get Chicago chain staples in the loop such as Gino's East, Lou Malnatti's, Al's, Portillo's, Eduardos, etc. The whole place for the most part is full of freaking starbucks, cosi, alontis and other bland as crap national chains.

Last edited by grapico; 03-07-2011 at 12:50 AM..

Old 03-07-2011, 01:06 AM

1,095 posts, read 1,063,423 times
Hey, there used to be a place a couple of blocks from Willits(former Sears)tower where they had the best slopping joes sandwich ever with crunchy fries. No longer there. 2 steps forward and one step back. My best bet is Jimmy John's or a kabob.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:15 AM

4,094 posts, read 960,259 times
Quote:
What intersection is/was your job around?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago