Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2011, 06:51 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Trees.
There are plenty of trees here. Do a Google Satellite view and you can't see a lot of the residential streets because they're covered by tree canopy. You won't find stands of trees in undveloped hollows and the like as you find in Pittsburgh, but IMO a substantially higher portion of the residential streets here are tree-lined. A lot of Pittsburgh neighborhoods have structures right up to the sidewalk line and no parkways in which to plant trees.

Some pictures of my neighborhood:

(All images found at Dreamtown)

Last edited by Drover; 03-12-2011 at 06:59 PM..

Old 03-12-2011, 07:49 PM

396 posts, read 925,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
We have those [palm trees].
Yea but:

1. only in 1 place
2. not all year round

Its a shame that this city is so cold 1/3 of the year... in warm weather, it is one of the best cities in the world.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odannyboi View Post
Yea but:

1. only in 1 place
2. not all year round

Its a shame that this city is so cold 1/3 of the year... in warm weather, it is one of the best cities in the world.
I think what makes it such a great city in the summer is the festive atmosphere brought about by people knowing they only have a few months to make the best of it. In that regard, the weather is a double-edged sword -- it makes it a dreary place half the year and an absolute hoot the other half of the year.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:09 PM

396 posts, read 925,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I think what makes it such a great city in the summer is the festive atmosphere brought about by people knowing they only have a few months to make the best of it. In that regard, the weather is a double-edged sword -- it makes it a dreary place half the year and an absolute hoot the other half of the year.
This is pretty much true.. I went to LA last december (70 and sunny) and the city seemed dead. They have great weather all year round but probably take it for granted.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:20 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Quote:
That is a good point, Chicago probably has the most active summer of any city I've spent time in. And I definitely think it is due to people coming out of winter, and knowing that before they know it, they'll be in winter again. Chicago is like Dr. Jekyll, Mr. Hyde because of the weather.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:54 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,285,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odannyboi View Post
Yea but:

1. only in 1 place
2. not all year round

True, and lucky for me because I don' really like them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
That is a good point, Chicago probably has the most active summer of any city I've spent time in. And I definitely think it is due to people coming out of winter, and knowing that before they know it, they'll be in winter again. Chicago is like Dr. Jekyll, Mr. Hyde because of the weather.
New York, Miami, and Los Angeles included?

Old 03-13-2011, 12:22 AM

3,500 posts, read 3,132,544 times
There are tons of palm trees in Phoenix, and it's one of the most boring ass towns you could possibly live in. Plus, the palm trees are polluted with scorpions. Eff that.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:16 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,312,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
There are tons of palm trees in Phoenix, and it's one of the most boring ass towns you could possibly live in. Plus, the palm trees are polluted with scorpions. Eff that.
Why would anyone want palm trees in Chicago, anyway? Those palm trees they put out on Oak Street Beach don't add anything to the ambience, IMHO. They just look grossly out of place.

One of the things I hated about visiting L.A. in October was that I didn't see any autumn colors anywhere. There were plenty of palm trees around, but that just wasn't quite the same. I'll take changing foliage anyday.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Why would anyone want palm trees in Chicago, anyway?
Some people like palm trees.

The ones you see pictures of lining the streets in L.A. look stupid. They look like a big tall stick with a poofy thing way the hell up there. I like the palm trees better in the Southeast. They look like actual trees and not like a mutated dandelion. Maybe they have "normal" looking palm trees in L.A. too?

Old 03-14-2011, 01:22 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
Quote:
There are plenty of trees here. Do a Google Satellite view and you can't see a lot of the residential streets because they're covered by tree canopy. You won't find stands of trees in undveloped hollows and the like as you find in Pittsburgh, but IMO a substantially higher portion of the residential streets here are tree-lined. A lot of Pittsburgh neighborhoods have structures right up to the sidewalk line and no parkways in which to plant trees.

Some pictures of my neighborhood:

(All images found at Dreamtown)

Good pictures, especially the 2nd one; having those "parkways" between the sidewalk and the street certainly make the neighborhood look more spacious and liveable, in contrast to many urban neighborhoods in Eastern cities..

This neighborhood looks nice, and well maintained; looks like a combination of single-family, 2-family, condo and apartments; probably isn't all that bad on the wallet, either (compared to Lincoln Park, for example)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago