U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-14-2009, 04:32 PM

342 posts, read 766,106 times
Default taft high

i noticed that the percentage of african americans in the high school and nearby elementary schools dropped really fast. does anyone know why this happened?

Interactive Illinois Report Card
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 07:27 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,408,254 times
Scratch my original post.

Less kids are being bussed in because the feeder elementary schools have improved greatly in quality to the extent that residents are now choosing the public option over parochial school. If you look up the racial demographics in Norwood Park you will see that it does not have a substantiation AA population. Schools have to be utilized to receive funding so kids were most likely bussed in from Rogers Park or Austin in the 90s.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:57 AM

4,893 posts, read 5,513,454 times
That makes sense. I knew someone who went to Taft High in the early 2000s and she didn't think it was a good high school. But she said that the bussing was starting to lessen when she was there.

Thats good news, and although I hope there is no racist undertone implied here, I think this might be a first step to make Taft the cities best public high school (outside of Lincoln Park). We all know schools are probably the top reason that keeps Chicago from making a full revitalization.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:13 AM

21,477 posts, read 34,954,601 times
Default Lots of inaccuracies ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
That makes sense. I knew someone who went to Taft High in the early 2000s and she didn't think it was a good high school. But she said that the bussing was starting to lessen when she was there.

Thats good news, and although I hope there is no racist undertone implied here, I think this might be a first step to make Taft the cities best public high school (outside of Lincoln Park). We all know schools are probably the top reason that keeps Chicago from making a full revitalization.

There has never been a program of "busing" within the CPS high schools to address racial or income disparity. This is very different than other urban school systems. Even among the elementary students CPS is very stingy in its use of busing. The desegregation plans that CPS has engaged in have always relied on selective admissions that include a broad range of both merit based processes and some lotteries: Chicago Public Schools : Frequently asked questions

The improvement in some schools is almost certainly due to the changes in the poor spreading out. I am listening to a NPR right now -- minority / low income enrollment in suburban districts has increased by 73% over the past two years. People are "running for their lives" from Chicago. School quality may certainly a factor, but the fact is that SAFETY is the biggest reason that lower income families leave Chicago... Higher income families have chosen private schools for decades.

When it comes to "quality" Lincoln Park High is far from the best performing high school in the CPS system, and if one were to examine the gap between the very high performing students in the IB program (which is highly selective and unique even other among merit based admissions in its standards) and the rest of the student population which includes a wide swath of low income students both from the fringes of LPHS attendance area as well the mix of students that get into to other less selective Options for Knowledge that the school runs, LPHS may be the most polarized in terms of the well ranked CPS high schools. Like a depressingly large number of CPS high schools LPHS & Taft failed to make adequately yearly progress, and the overall "meets or exceeds" is a discouraging 63.9% at LPHS, far below that of Lane with 82.9%, or Jones at 89.6% (one of the schools where the change in administration and staff seems to be currently working pretty well). The "gems" of CPS remain Young (97.7%), Northside (98.6%) and Payton (99.4%) which is to be expected as ALL the students at those schools have to rank very high on admissions tests to even be considered. I hate to use the data from just one dimension, but my point is merely to show that the schools like LPHS and Taft (58.1%) are seriously deficient by even the most basic of measures...

{This is not a comprehensive list, but it includes the schools I mentioned. I have experience either directly with these schools, or with staff at them. There are probably some that would fit between these, but that is another topic...)

Payton -- Interactive Illinois Report Card

Northside -- Interactive Illinois Report Card

Young -- Interactive Illinois Report Card

Jones -- Interactive Illinois Report Card

Lane -- Interactive Illinois Report Card

LPHS -- Interactive Illinois Report Card

Taft -- Interactive Illinois Report Card

Old 12-15-2009, 10:08 AM

249 posts, read 358,039 times
I think the original reference to Lincoln Park High School was meant to mean "best" in terms of a neighborhood high school (or mostly neighborhood high school, with the exception of small specialized programs like IBS within the larger school) ... There could be no argument that the schools you listed are better than Taft and Lincoln Park. And those two schools are likely better than any neighborhood schools on the South or West sides, or even their North/Northwest Side neighbors such as Steinmetz, Roosevelt, Foreman, etc. ...

One factor to consider in the change in demographics at Taft is the large number of recent Polish immigrants whose children have reached school age in the past decade. Unlike other families classified as "white," this immigrant group (perhaps because of financial limitations and/or lack of knowledge of Taft's "bad rep") has used the local high school--boosting the white percentage. This, of course, doesn't equate to better test scores, performance, etc., if a large percentage of these new students are coming from households where English is a second language and/or education is not highly valued.

For most of the other families within the Taft attendance boundaries, the school's stigma is still strong. And because many of these families are also Catholic, they will continue to send their kids to Notre Dame, Loyola, Resurrection, etc., while most others make it to the magnet high schools you mentioned.

However, Taft has launched its own IBS program and is reaching out to the best feeder schools (Edgebrook, Wildwood, Oriole Park, etc.) in its district in an effort to draw some of those high-performing students to Taft. One way for Taft to show improved performance would be to get some of these top students from within the attendance area to actually attend the neighborhood school. Right now, for almost any top learner, Taft is probably a last resort after a) CPS magnet schools; b) Catholic schools; c) last stop before the last resort, Luther North; and d) moving or otherwise finding an address outside the district to attend New Trier or another well-regarded north suburban public high school.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:12 PM

88 posts, read 117,578 times
We live in Norwood Park; in fact I can see Taft from my front yard. Taft is not a magnet school; it's neighborhood-only and draws from Norwood Park, Edison Park, Oriole Park and I think Jeff Park, too. And this area is overwhelmingly white. Like, my husband who is Indian practically integrated the neighborhood.

I think Taft is really becoming a very good non-magnet high school. I can at least attest that it is safe and the kids who go there (passing in front of my yard every day) are well-behaved and polite kids, which I think goes a long way to improved schools. The feeder elementary are some of the best in Chicago so they have a good pool to draw from.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:56 PM

15,589 posts, read 12,519,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldawg1594 View Post
i noticed that the percentage of african americans in the high school and nearby elementary schools dropped really fast. does anyone know why this happened?

Interactive Illinois Report Card
Probably because the desegregation law was removed.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,595 times
To correct one of the earlier posters. There was busing to desegregate the schools during the 1970's. I attended one of the nieghborhood schools near Taft and all of our schools had kids bused in, however not many of the parents elected to have their kids bused out. If I remember correctly this failed social experiment ended when CPS started forming magenet schools in the 1980's. But it lasted long enough for the neighborhood feeder school parents to not send their kids to Taft. Most of the families in that area are indeed Catholic and opted to send their kids to those schools. After busing ended Taft was empty and became an overflow school for other nieghborhood high schools such as Foreman HS. Several years ago the lottery to accept out of district students was ended to encourage in district kids to go to Taft...and special programs like the IBS program were started. So yes the number of African AMericans has gone down at Taft because it is a neighborhood school and the nieghborhood is primarily caucasian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago