Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2020, 07:48 PM

146 posts, read 393,920 times

Advertisements

What are some safe neighborhood near Columbia College? Any tips for a lone freshman?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2020, 11:57 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,443,536 times
Downtown campus? It's safe. There's tons of student housing around there. You could live outside and commute in if you really wanted. The main issue with downtown, especially at night, is people asking you for money. They're harmless though.

Old 05-04-2020, 12:50 PM

2,195 posts, read 1,852,784 times
Otherwise, move up to Lakeview. My daughter goes to Columbia and just moved there.

Old 05-06-2020, 07:21 AM

31 posts, read 31,464 times
Anywhere near Columbia College is safe. I would try to avoid living too close to the Roosevelt L stop though because there is a lot of crime at the station. The station is fine to use during the day but I would avoid it late at night. Most of the crime is petty crime but I would try and avoid hanging around that area. You go one block N, S, E, or W of there and it's completely fine.

Old 05-08-2020, 03:53 PM

169 posts, read 171,134 times
Anywhere around Gold Coast, Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Buena Park, and Edgewater.

Old 05-09-2020, 08:53 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian22 View Post
Anywhere around Gold Coast, Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Buena Park, and Edgewater.
Unless there are 2 different campuses, it looks like Columbia College is in the Loop. I'm not familiar with it and always assumed it was somewhere downtown.

Assuming the OP is talking about the downtown campus (if there is another campus), I would not recommend any of the above, except for maybe the Gold Coast, because they are relatively far.

I would recommend being somewhere in the Loop (including West or South), Gold Coast (maybe), or River North (maybe). Being in the Loop would be the closest, and the Loop is safe by any big city standards. You have to be street smart and use common sense at night, even more so in the South Loop, but the Loop is overall safe. Plus because the Loop is the city's business district, you can get an Uber any hour of the night if you do need to go somewhere late.

Of course, if the college has a campus in a different part of the city that you are referring to, then my advice would change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: