Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 06:18 AM

2 posts, read 4,323 times

Advertisements

I am moving to chicago next year. I currently live in Newport News,va. I moved here from Flint Mi. in 93'. I can't take it here anymore! My family still lives in Detroit/Flint and I have some family I've never met in Chicago. I need the low down on Chicago from people who actually knows. what's the best and absolutely worst places to live. I need an area close to supermarkets and stores (I don't think I'll bring my car or should I?), low crime, an area appropriate for a 30 year old single mother, and where black people live (so I can find my future hubby, LoL!) Is there a rat problem in chicago? How's the job scene for recent college grads,business major? Is this a good place to start a business? Tell me something I don't know about Chicago.

Last edited by lataura; 12-19-2009 at 07:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 11:28 PM

40 posts, read 170,034 times
Hey, I'm a 30 year old single mother as well and Oak Park was the place for me. Moved 10 months ago. I just couldn't figure out how to get my daughter into the good schools in Chicago magnet, location, private, etc. I accepted a job and only had 4 weeks to get moved. I love Oak Park. It's diverse, I walk down the street and see all types of people which is great. The city and suburb train come through and it only takes me 14 minutes to get to work downtown. Really cool architecture. Plenty of parks, shops, activities, and restaraunts. Not sure how old your child is, but really good schools. I've been very, very happy here. Met so many cool people. Kept my car to explore. Plus, I don't like walking to the grocery store all the time. My tip, find free good neighborhood schools, (if you want free schools) and that will narrow your search. Next year, I'll buy and I can't imagine buying anywhere else. Good luck.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:41 PM

82 posts, read 345,904 times
I hope you have employment lined up, lataura - Chicago winters are cruel and unkind to the lower classes. If it's only a man of color you fancy, why not target someone local? They're not known for being difficult to seduce.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:27 AM

90 posts, read 247,563 times
I moved to Chicago and moving back after moving with family this year. I would look to rent, or sublet, for a month so you can find work. I would go to craigslist and see if someone needs a roommate for a short time. Finding work can be cruel and if you are planning to go in the winter-wow.
I lived in Rodgers Park (very cheap) and I loved it but many feel it's too far from the city. It is but the beach is there and great used bookstores,coffeehouses and a small movie theater. I also lived in Wicker Park. Very expensive but that was a blast to live in. Bars, thrift stores and cool cafe's.
Just save now and have a plan. With this economic mess, Chicago can be hard. I am moving back in April. Just get advice and check this forum-My biggest advice to you is not to sign a lease until you have a job. In 03 I moved to Chicago and it was rough finding a job. I signed a lease and was very scared. It all worked out by the grace of God but I literally was down to my last twenty dollars when the kindest guy hired me on the spot.
Good luck and Chicago is a blast!!

Old 01-04-2010, 08:41 AM

16 posts, read 24,651 times
My boyfriend is stationed in Chicago until 2012 and I've been contemplating moving there. My last visit was over the Xmas break and we've been trying to come up with a game plan. I'm a student aiming for my Masters degree and was hoping to find clerical work that would allow for me to leave by 6pm at the lasted (enough time to get to class 3 days a week). I'm lost and if any of you ladies would be willing to help me out that would be great. I have 2 kids a 10 year old drama queen and an 8 year old son...they need play dates!

Old 01-04-2010, 05:29 PM

49 posts, read 98,011 times
Places to live with stores/supermarkets, low crime and black people... try Hyde Park, Chatham, South Loop/Bronzeville. "Low crime" is relative to other locations in the city.

As far as rats, I've never lived anyplace that had rats, though I expect rodents can roam just about anywhere. Best bet is to check it out for yourself and ask potential neighbors, etc.

The job situation is tough for just about everyone right now.

You don't need a car if you stay in the actual city limits.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:39 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,442,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viv_smi98 View Post

You don't need a car if you stay in the actual city limits.
I disagree. There are plenty of neighborhoods in the city that are poorly served by the CTA. I would be hard pressed to believe public transit is any better in Hegewisch, Sauganash or Edison Park then it is in inner burbs. Oak Park, Forest Park and Evanston even have El access.

Public transit isn't alltogether convenient if one has to take a bus or two to get to a train and spent 1+ hours in transit for a journey of only a few miles.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:47 PM

49 posts, read 98,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
I disagree. There are plenty of neighborhoods in the city that are poorly served by the CTA. I would be hard pressed to believe public transit is any better in Hegewisch, Sauganash or Edison Park then it is in inner burbs. Oak Park, Forest Park and Evanston even have El access.

Public transit isn't alltogether convenient if one has to take a bus or two to get to a train and spent 1+ hours in transit for a journey of only a few miles.
I agree that it's not always convenient, but as far as "need"... I don't think it's a necessity just to get around. I currently have to take 2 buses to the nearest grocery store. it's not convenient by any stretch of the imagination, but it's doable.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:10 PM

2 posts, read 4,323 times
Why is it when I mention I want to live where there are at least some black people, people list the bad areas to move to like they trying to set me and my baby up to be a victim. Just because I say black don't mean I want to live in poverty prone areas sheesh! When I say black people I want to live in an area where african americans has been known to thrive. I am a recent college grad looking to open a business in chicago. I don't want to live in an area with just black people, but a good mixture. I've noticed from my research chicago seems to be more racially divided than southern states, only whites live on the west side, chicago ridge etc. That crap is ridiculous. This one person "papajohnson" made a comment basically saying since I'm a black single mother I'm automatically on welfare with no job (ignorant). Let me get it straight I am from the projects but my mother raised me to strive well above the projects and I have done so and would like to continue. Black don't mean ghetto, I've seen plenty of white ghetto people in my day. In other words ghetto come in all shades. And for the record the definition of ghetto is not black, trifling criminals, I'm willing to bet there a lot of people on the west side with their college degrees, in their big pretty houses ghetto as hell! Damn shame! Oh and thanks Tanzall,viv-smi98,surlycue,and jenniferashley99 for your very helpful responses, those responses were helpful in doing my research.

Last edited by lataura; 01-08-2010 at 11:37 PM..

Old 01-09-2010, 12:27 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,595,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lataura View Post
Why is it when I mention I want to live where there are at least some black people, people list the bad areas to move to like they trying to set me and my baby up to be a victim...
Who in the world are you talking about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: