Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2012, 01:32 PM

1,520 posts, read 2,573,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
That's where I'd draw the line, at least. But you'd be surprised how many people would do anything to own a house. I mean, look at the Chicago metropolitan area...why the hell would any buy a house in Plano, Oswego, or somewhere like that?

And for the record, of those three, Kenosha is probably the most charming ...thought that doesn't say much.

different strokes for different folks i guess
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 02:23 PM

439 posts, read 953,843 times
Quote:
That's where I'd draw the line, at least. But you'd be surprised how many people would do anything to own a house. I mean, look at the Chicago metropolitan area...why the hell would any buy a house in Plano, Oswego, or somewhere like that?

And for the record, of those three, Kenosha is probably the most charming ...thought that doesn't say much.
Most people who live that far out don't actually work in the city.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:43 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,253,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsk1983 View Post
Most people who live that far out don't actually work in the city.
I think you'd be surprised. Oswego is roughly 45 miles from State and Madison. My mom's house in Carpentersville is 45 miles from State and Madison, and I know for a fact (because I've been to block parties) that people in her neighborhood work in the loop and some in River North. But guess what? They get to live their insular lives in a 3500 square foot house with their nice yards, nice fences, and little subdivision association. So many of them don't even think twice about telling you how much they love being out there in their big 'ol house.

Indeed, different strokes for different folks.

Ah..forgot to add - these people are in their late 40's and up, so I think bias may be skewed. I'm no statistician or sociologist, so I can't comment on how people in my generation feel about house ownership.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:59 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,103,650 times
Quote:
I think you'd be surprised. Oswego is roughly 45 miles from State and Madison. My mom's house in Carpentersville is 45 miles from State and Madison, and I know for a fact (because I've been to block parties) that people in her neighborhood work in the loop and some in River North. But guess what? They get to live their insular lives in a 3500 square foot house with their nice yards, nice fences, and little subdivision association. So many of them don't even think twice about telling you how much they love being out there in their big 'ol house.

Indeed, different strokes for different folks.

Ah..forgot to add - these people are in their late 40's and up, so I think bias may be skewed. I'm no statistician or sociologist, so I can't comment on how people in my generation feel about house ownership.
What I don't understand about those people is why they choose Will County. There is nothing nearby. At least with lake or McHenry, you've got the Chain o lakes, a short drive to some Wisconsin destinations and Metra access.

Whereas Oswego has a 30 min drive to downtown Naperville. Not sure what else. Outside of work or family, no idea why anyone would live out there.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:20 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Hard to imagine a Drover-less Chicago, but nothing wrong in making comparisons; are you considering St. Louis, too?

Methinks that KC would not be for you ( no subway, etc), but who knows?
I'm applying to a specific employer wherever the jobs are, namely in places with a lower COL than Chicago provided I think I can at least tolerate living there. If the job is in NYC or DC or Boston, I don't bother. Same for places like Florida or Arkansas.

I've applied at the Chicago office too. They were the first ones to tell me "no thanks" which is particularly disheartening since I actually interned at their office. I guess I didn't leave as favorable an impression with them as I had hoped.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:28 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,909,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I'm applying to a specific employer wherever the jobs are, namely in places with a lower COL than Chicago provided I think I can at least tolerate living there. If the job is in NYC or DC or Boston, I don't bother. Same for places like Florida or Arkansas.

I've applied at the Chicago office too. They were the first ones to tell me "no thanks" which is particularly disheartening since I actually interned at their office. I guess I didn't leave as favorable an impression with them as I had hoped.
Then this would rule out much of the metro Northeast ( Boston, NYC, Wash), although Philly and Baltimore would be possibilities ( I personally would avoid both). And this would also largely rule out California, as well.

But places like St. Louis, Minneapolis, and yes, Pittsburgh, as I know that you've lived there before, are all in play. I'm guessing that you've investigated all the real estate options available to you in Chicago, and you're not really satisfied, so either you make do with what you have...or you move.

BTW, it might not be an "impression" thing; maybe they just couldn't afford to hire anyone..

Old 02-15-2012, 04:23 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Quote:
Then this would rule out much of the metro Northeast ( Boston, NYC, Wash), although Philly and Baltimore would be possibilities ( I personally would avoid both). And this would also largely rule out California, as well.

But places like St. Louis, Minneapolis, and yes, Pittsburgh, as I know that you've lived there before, are all in play. I'm guessing that you've investigated all the real estate options available to you in Chicago, and you're not really satisfied, so either you make do with what you have...or you move.
Definitely no Cali. Bos-Wash corridor... yeah, that's mostly hopping out of the kettle and into the flames.

It's not just that I don't like the real estate landscape in Chicago. While that's true in its own right, my roots are here so that gives me incentive to deal with it. In the bigger picture, it's a combination of that and the looming fiscal crisis the State of Illinois is facing and the realization that nothing will fix it short of a massive revenue grab. I don't mean to turn this into a political thread, but the City of Chicago continually treating its citizens like an ATM and the state of Illinois' perpetual inability to effectively govern are starting to get to me. It's time to check out options for living places that have their s*#t together a little better.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:41 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,909,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Definitely no Cali. Bos-Wash corridor... yeah, that's mostly hopping out of the kettle and into the flames.

It's not just that I don't like the real estate landscape in Chicago. While that's true in its own right, my roots are here so that gives me incentive to deal with it. In the bigger picture, it's a combination of that and the looming fiscal crisis the State of Illinois is facing and the realization that nothing will fix it short of a massive revenue grab. I don't mean to turn this into a political thread, but the City of Chicago continually treating its citizens like an ATM and the state of Illinois' perpetual inability to effectively govern are starting to get to me. It's time to check out options for living places that have their s*#t together a little better.
Maybe your answer lies just north of you: the great state of Wisconsin, namely Madison or Milwaukee. A different state, possibly in better fiscal shape, and yet so very close to the Chicago metro area...

Old 02-15-2012, 08:05 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,099,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
What I don't understand about those people is why they choose Will County. There is nothing nearby. At least with lake or McHenry, you've got the Chain o lakes, a short drive to some Wisconsin destinations and Metra access.

Whereas Oswego has a 30 min drive to downtown Naperville. Not sure what else. Outside of work or family, no idea why anyone would live out there.
I dont live in Will Co but pretty darn close.
Will County is a decent area. Its geographical footprint is huge it goes from naperville , bolingbrook parts of Tinley and Orland Park, way over to Monee and to Crete. Frankfort is an upscale community and Mokena isa strong middle class area.

It primarily is a good place to live with out the city at your front door but close enough to commute at the work centers and again depending where you live in will it could be naperville Regan cooridor, Oak Brook,
Joliet, Tinley and Orland. then far Eastern Will can commute into Indiana.

This coupled with the fact its a relative short distance into Chicago.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:19 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,398,088 times
Quote:
Maybe your answer lies just north of you: the great state of Wisconsin, namely Madison or Milwaukee. A different state, possibly in better fiscal shape, and yet so very close to the Chicago metro area...
Wisconsin has its own fiscal mess and a blunderingly ignorant, if not backwards-stepping and ridiculous, legislature at the current moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago