Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2010, 01:49 PM

2 posts, read 3,140 times

Advertisements

So, in February 2011 I will be making the big move from Tampa to Mt. Greenwood with my wife. She moved to Tampa roughly 4 years ago for her job and is ready to head back. I'm all for it. I have lived in this area all 31 years of my life and am ready for a change. Fortunately for her she can transfer back with her job and pick up at the company headquarters. I on the other hand will be jobless as soon as we move.

I've never made a city to city move before. That added to this crummy economy has me a tad bit freaked out. I've checked the typical job websites and there seem to be jobs here and there in my field (I.T.) but not enough to make me giddy. Realistically I would love to land something before the trip up so I am sending my resume and cover letter to any job I am qualified for. No responses yet; I think the Florida address may sway them to pass my resume up entirely. Anyone have any pointers for an I.T. guy who will be looking for work?

Oh yea, you may ask why Mt Greenwood. Her parents live there and we are literally taking over their house. They have a condo in south Florida and plan to take off on one of there multi-month getaways so we aren't all on top of each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 03:03 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
Welcome!

I think the most plausible answer is Illinois generally speaking a has high unemployment rate and a soft job market. It is not impossible to find a job, but it might not be very convenient to your location. The Chicago MSA is pushing 11M residents - you will ave a lot of competition. Population aside, Chicagoland is an interesting and educational place to live to explore from the forest preserves and lake views to the favorite little neighborhood you fall in love with. Cook County (includes Chicago) is nearly 1500 sqare miles and houses 5.5M people.

If the sheer size of the land mass doesn't scare you a little bit, the bitterly cold -40 wind chill lake affect will probably be an eye-opener. In the past, the snow has been deep enough to ground airplanes at O'Hare (ORD) - the world's busiest airport.

As you are from Florida you will probably recognize names like Trader Joe's, Whole Foods and Costco, Apple, Starbuck's and a host of other familiar businesses that include Internet, Cell phone, Satellite, cable, phone, pharmacy, big box retail and national food chains. If you can't find it, buy it, eat it, rent it, wear it, or order it in Chicago - then you probably can't have it. . .

Old 08-31-2010, 06:37 PM

2 posts, read 3,140 times
Thanks for the response linicx. Yea the unemployment rate is a killer. It's just as bad here; 11-12%. On the plus side we will have enough saved to last a good amount time with only one income. We are lucky enough to be able to live rent or mortage free as long as it takes thanks to family.

Thankfully, I am no stranger to the area thanks to the wifey and her family. We visit them a lot. (Will be there there at the end of the month and then two weeks for Christmas) I've learned the train system pretty well, been to Sox games(HUGE Rays fan but a baseball lover) shown what places NOT to go, etc etc I get Portillo's beef sandwiches delivered every now and then. Thank god they ship nation wide!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago