Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 12:13 AM

2 posts, read 5,385 times

Advertisements

I will be as honest as I possibly can.

Chicago has an amazing history. It's just overwhelming. As well as the downtown, just epic. It may take your breath away the first time you see it. On "paper" everything seems just fantastic but the reality hits in...

I lived in Chicago for 6 years and I can honestly say that it is a horrible city to live in. Once again, I will as honest as possible.

The houses and apartments are truly just ugly (unless you're a millionaire, of course). They are all almost 80+ years old. Mostly made of wood. Then comes the bugs. Yea. There may be a lot of ugly bugs depending on where you live. Afterward comes the heating system! it looks as if it was from the 1940s, because it is! (the one that goes "around" in circles).

It is cold the majority of the year. Winter. Chilly. People may be like "but but.. the snow!". Yea, okay. Sometimes it snows, most of the time it doesn't. When it does snow, it's pretty at first. After a few days it turns into ice, as well as ugly "black snow". Really. From the salt and dirt. It's just, err, ugly. It is no longer a pretty sight. Imagine this (you probably have already experienced it anyway): walking down the street, "black snow" on the side, and the wind is very very chilly. Oh, I almost forgot: the trees are halloween most of the year. A depressing sight, honestly. They have no leaves almost throughout the whole year.

Buildings. Most of them are old and look as such. Depending on where you may be, they are covered with graffiti. Everything is crowded together. Blah.

Now comes the most important part of all: crime. Which I believe is the most ignored fact in all those online review guides, as well as posts made by Chicago residents. To be brutally honest, gangs are throughout the whole city. Black gangs, mexican gangs (sorry, thats what it is), and gangs. All you have to do is drive around, ANYWHERE, and you will see a group of Mexicans/Hispanics and/or Black kids walking around doing something shady. Yes, as well as the white gang kid. It's not too hard to find them. It is almost as if you didn't have to try.

I've many memories. A particular one is when the police advised everyone to NOT go out at night due to how dangerous it was. During the day, psssshhh.. it was like a movie. On one corner you had that mysterious car that came and drove away with someone new in it (prostitute), on the corner across was a group of ~8 men doing "something" and then on the other corner it was a little normal.

All in all, Chicago is not that great a city as people make it seem. If you are planning to move here, you are much better off moving to somewhere else. NYC is the same thing, I imagine.

Last edited by linicx; 01-25-2010 at 01:01 PM..

Old 01-25-2010, 07:04 AM

1,963 posts, read 1,819,973 times
8=D lol

Old 01-25-2010, 07:59 AM

102 posts, read 331,685 times
You must have lived in a seedy area, because I've lived here for three years and this hasn't been my experience at all.

I just about never see gangster types.
The old buildings are quite charming and are usually made of brick or stone.
I don't have a bug problem.
The trees are green for nearly six months a year.
I'm from Florida originally and I don't feel like it's cold here most of the year. It only gets truly cold every now and then.

You are entitled to hate Chicago if you like, but you can find something to dislike about any place if you look hard enough. There are plenty of people who love Chicago and choose to live here.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:11 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,952,112 times
hmmmm Well Im nowhere near a millionare and I have a pretty nice place and have no problem skipping around outside at 2am. I guess if you consider older houses to be ugly that is your opinion, but there are brand new places which are affordable to middle class people. Yeah Chicago can and does get cold, welcome to the midwest.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:49 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,319,855 times
oh fun, where do I begin w/ this mess?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex9001 View Post
I will be as honest as I possibly can.

Chicago has an amazing history. It's just overwhelming. As well as the downtown, just epic. It may take your breath away the first time you see it. On "paper" everything seems just fantastic but the reality hits in...

I lived in Chicago for 6 years and I can honestly say that it is a horrible city to live in. Once again, I will as honest as possible.
yawn. can I ask why you even feel the need to whine about a city on a message board? you know, there are a lot of people who come and go and move away, yet not all of them feel the need to whine online, esp. w/ such BS excuses

Quote:
The houses and apartments are truly just ugly (unless you're a millionaire, of course). They are all almost 80+ years old. Mostly made of wood. Then comes the bugs. Yea. There may be a lot of ugly bugs depending on where you live. Afterward comes the heating system! it looks as if it was from the 1940s, because it is! (the one that goes "around" in circles).
I live in a gorgeous greystone apartment building. didn't even need to be a millionaire to live here. I've seen a lot of really nice houses. I'm not a fan of bungalows, but I have some very pretty ones in various areas. oh, and I don't have any bugs, ther than the odd spider or two (in one place I had house centipedes). nothing Raid or your friendly neighborhood exterminator couldn't solve. better a few centipedes than the massive flying critters you see in the South

as for your rant about the building being old, guess what? THE CITY IS OLD!!!

seriously, what did you expect, brand new, cookie cutter homes? move to the suburbs or some sunbelt city that just rose up from the desert. if old houses are a big concern, don't bother moving to any on the east coast (in fact, there a quite a few cities on the west coast w/ 80+ year old houses too). And GOD FORBID, don't even entertain the idea of moving to Europe where they've got buildings predating the founding of America! I grew up in Boston where the homes can easily be over 100 years old and are gorgeous. let's face it, they made houses better back then. real wood, none of that laminate/ engineered wood crap. or you can have the best of both worlds and move into a renovated house. what, too lazy to find a place w/ an updated heating system? they exist and aren't that expensive. your own dang fault for not looking for places w/ updated heating systems

Quote:
It is cold the majority of the year. Winter. Chilly. People may be like "but but.. the snow!". Yea, okay. Sometimes it snows, most of the time it doesn't. When it does snow, it's pretty at first. After a few days it turns into ice, as well as ugly "black snow". Really. From the salt and dirt. It's just, err, ugly. It is no longer a pretty sight. Imagine this (you probably have already experienced it anyway): walking down the street, "black snow" on the side, and the wind is very very chilly. Oh, I almost forgot: the trees are halloween most of the year. A depressing sight, honestly. They have no leaves almost throughout the whole year.
oh, boo hoo, the snow got dirty! what, would you like the city to place massive blankets over all the pretty white snow so it doesn't get dirty so you can feel better? move to a desolate, mountain woods if this bothers you so much, but don't be surprised if you see some yellow snow here or there (woodland creatures aren't exactly potty trained). when it comes to whiny, BS reason to hate a city, this really takes the cake

I don't even understand what you mean by "the trees are halloween most of the year". what, on top of the blankets, would you like the city to replant all the trees w/ evergreens?

yes, Chicago is cold and it boggles my mind why people are surprised by this. no, it's not cold the majority of the year (*waits for someone, likely Steve-O, to come roaring in w/ factual data that proves this). don't like the cold? don't move ot a cold area. go drag yourself out to Maui or something

Quote:
Buildings. Most of them are old and look as such. Depending on where you may be, they are covered with graffiti. Everything is crowded together. Blah.
what crap neighborhood did you live in? I live in East Humboldt Park in a newly renovated greystone devoid of graffiti. I don't see much graffiti in my area. and guess what, honey? Chicago is a dense city. something that can be easily researched. yup, there are areas where buildings are pratically touching each other, areas where buildings have some space in between, and areas where the houses are spread wide. don't be lazy and find one of the latter if this bugs you so much.

Quote:
Now comes the most important part of all: crime. Which I believe is the most ignored fact in all those online review guides, as well as posts made by Chicago residents. To be brutally honest, gangs are throughout the whole city. Black gangs, mexican gangs (sorry, thats what it is), and gangs. All you have to do is drive around, ANYWHERE, and you will see a group of Mexicans/Hispanics and/or Black kids walking around doing something shady. Yes, as well as the white gang kid. It's not too hard to find them. It is almost as if you didn't have to try.
you've pretty much describe every single good sized city in America. heck, even Boston, that's like 1/20th of Chicago size (not exact numbers) has issues w/ gangs. again, I have to wonder where you lived and why you didn't move to a quieter area w/o a heavy gang presence.

Quote:
I've many memories. A particular one is when the police advised everyone to NOT go out at night due to how dangerous it was. During the day, psssshhh.. it was like a movie. On one corner you had that mysterious car that came and drove away with someone new in it (prostitute), on the corner across was a group of ~8 men doing "something" and then on the other corner it was a little normal.
oh please! I guessing by your screen name your a guy, right? well, if you are, GROW A PAIR! seriously! I'm female and have no problems walking outside in the dark. a little common sense goes a long way

Quote:
All in all, Chicago is not that great a city as people make it seem. If you are planning to move here, you are much better off moving to somewhere else. NYC is the same thing, I imagine.
all in all, your excuses come off as whiny and full of BS. this isn't an issues w/ Chicago, this is 1000% an issue w/ YOU. YOU apparently didn't bother doing any research or moved around to areas less dense/graffiti and gang filled. YOU didn't bother trying to get a renovated place, or even a newly constructed place if old houses bug you so much. you sound like someone who would find something to fault about every locale, even Maui ("wah, it's too hot!" "wah, there's so much freaking pineapple and coconut here! where are the apple trees!" "wah, wah, wah"). your issues aren't unique to Chicago. I ask again, why bother w/ this thread? Chicago is not for everyone, which people get, but why waste time ranting about it here and coming off as a fool?

Last edited by eevee; 01-25-2010 at 09:03 AM..

Old 01-25-2010, 09:07 AM

44,318 posts, read 19,991,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
oh fun, where do I begin w/ this mess?

yawn. can I ask why you even feel the need to whine about a city on a message board? you know, there are a lot of people who come and go and move away, yet not all of them feel the need to whine online, esp. w/ such BS excuses

I live in a gorgeous greystone apartment building. didn't even need to be a millionaire to live here. I've seen a lot of really nice houses. I'm not a fan of bungalows, but I have some very pretty ones in various areas. oh, and I don't have any bugs, ther than the odd spider or two (in one place I had house centipedes). nothing Raid or your friendly neighborhood exterminator couldn't solve. better a few centipedes than the massive flying critters you see in the South

as for your rant about the building being old, guess what? THE CITY IS OLD!!!

seriously, what did you expect, brand new, cookie cutter homes? move to the suburbs or some sunbelt city that just rose up from the desert. if old houses are a big concern, don't bother moving to any on the east coast (in fact, there a quite a few cities on the west coast w/ 80+ year old houses too). And GOD FORBID, don't even entertain the idea of moving to Europe where they've got buildings predating the founding of America! I grew up in Boston where the homes can easily be over 100 years old and are gorgeous. let's face it, they made houses better back then. real wood, none of that laminate/ engineered wood crap. or you can have the best of both worlds and move into a renovated house. what, too lazy to find a place w/ an updated heating system? they exist and aren't that expensive. your own dang fault for not looking for places w/ updated heating systems

oh, boo hoo, the snow got dirty! what, would you like the city to place massive blankets over all the pretty white snow so it doesn't get dirty so you can feel better? move to a desolate, mountain woods if this bothers you so much, but don't be surprised if you see some yellow snow here or there (woodland creatures aren't exactly potty trained). when it comes to whiny, BS reason to hate a city, this really takes the cake

I don't even understand what you mean by "the trees are halloween most of the year". what, on top of the blankets, would you like the city to replant all the trees w/ evergreens?

yes, Chicago is cold and it boggles my mind why people are surprised by this. no, it's not cold the majority of the year (*waits for someone, likely Steve-O, to come roaring in w/ factual data that proves this). don't like the cold? don't move ot a cold area. go drag yourself out to Maui or something

what crap neighborhood did you live in? I live in East Humboldt Park in a newly renovated greystone devoid of graffiti. I don't see much graffiti in my area. and guess what, honey? Chicago is a dense city. something that can be easily researched. yup, there are areas where buildings are pratically touching each other, areas where buildings have some space in between, and areas where the houses are spread wide. don't be lazy and find one of the latter if this bugs you so much.

you've pretty much describe every single good sized city in America. heck, even Boston, that's like 1/20th of Chicago size (not exact numbers) has issues w/ gangs. again, I haqve ot wonder where you lived and why you didn't move to a quieter area w/o a heavy gang presence.

oh please! I guessing by your screen name your a guy, right? well, if you are, GROW A PAIR! seriously! I'm female and have no problems walking outside in the dark. a little common sense goes a long way

all in all, your excuses come off as whiny and full of BS. this isn't an issues w/ Chicago, this is 1000% an issue w/ YOU. YOU apparently didn't bother doing any research or moved around to areas less dense/graffiti and gang filled. YOU didn't bother trying to get a renovated place, or even a newly constructed place if old houses bug you so much. you sound like someone who would find something to fault about every locale, even Maui ("wah, it's too hot!" "wah, there's so much freaking pineapple and coconut here! where are the apple trees!" "wah, wah, wah"). your issues aren't unique to Chicago. I ask again, why bother w/ this thread? Chicago is not for everyone, which people get, but why waste time ranting about it here and coming off as a fool?
I agree with eevee - grow a pair and improve your life! You reap from life what you put into it. If you don't like the climate and the old buildings, MOVE! I suspect, however, that wherever you move to, you will be equally miserable - it is your negative attitude that is keeping you down.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:46 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,135,923 times
oh WAHHHHH.

If you don't like it - do something about it. Don't sit here and cry about your obviously personal issues and opinions and expect people to lend you a shoulder. It's like walking into someone's house and going off for an hour about why you hate it and it's just horrible. Completely counter-productive.

Clearly a majority of people would immediately disagree with some or almost all of what you're saying. It's not like we all live in your house, which apparently has bugs, a poor heating system and is an unkept older building. Sucks.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:36 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,646,947 times
Who do we think this is? Dementor, the dick guy Or perhaps jesse69's drag identity?

Old 01-25-2010, 10:37 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,087,796 times
In other words, if you don't appreciate older buildings, you should not move to an older city.

Plenty of new homes in cornfields for you to move to then.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:54 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,194,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Who do we think this is? Dementor, the dick guy Or perhaps jesse69's drag identity?
No mention of bikes, so I doubt it is Jesse69. Most likely Dementor, although he forgot to throw in some references to "diversity".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: