U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-01-2007, 10:39 AM
 
Location: Ireland......
13 posts, read 40,109 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundance67 View Post
Well the truth about Chicago is that its insanely expensive (the cost of living here is almost the highest in the country!!), the people are hostile towards everyone , the crime is unbelievable, and the weather sucks. The traffic is a nightmare, congestion is unavoidable, and to top it all off, the entire area is just totally visually unappealing. Its hideous. Theres a few nice looking spots downtown.Its not worth it.

compaired to Ireland its not expensive...
didnt see one hostile person there either !

 
Old 09-01-2007, 02:44 PM
 
Location: Chicago
35,926 posts, read 55,158,806 times
Reputation: 24543
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellie View Post
compaired to Ireland its not expensive...
didnt see one hostile person there either !
Oh, we're hostile all right... to people who are hostile themselves. And I can't help but notice that every poster who thinks Chicago and its people suck have a rather hostile tone in their posts. Chicago is very much a "get-what-you-give" town and we don't suffer jags or fools lightly. If you're nice, so are we. If you're a jerkface, so are we.
 
Old 09-02-2007, 01:37 AM
 
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
26 posts, read 107,996 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundance67 View Post
Well the truth about Chicago is that its insanely expensive (the cost of living here is almost the highest in the country!!), the people are hostile towards everyone , the crime is unbelievable, and the weather sucks. The traffic is a nightmare, congestion is unavoidable, and to top it all off, the entire area is just totally visually unappealing. Its hideous. Theres a few nice looking spots downtown.Its not worth it.
I've never been to Chicago, but from what I've read the crime in Chicago is to be expected with a city of it's size. As for visual appearance of the city, the general consensus seems to be that Chicago is one of the most beautiful cities in the world, especially architecturally. Hence the numerous times Chicago has been mentioned as having one of the best skylines in the world, basically only ever falling behind Hong Kong and (very rarely now that the WTC is gone, unfortunately) New York City.

Guess it's all a matter of opinion.
 
Old 09-02-2007, 10:34 AM
 
4,865 posts, read 5,453,719 times
Reputation: 3070
There is a quote by Winston Churchill: Chicago has a Queen Mary front with a Mary Jane back."

For awhile I used to think it was slightly fake that Chicago should have such a beautiful lakefront, whereas large chunks away from the lakefront are rather gritty, with railyards, industrial areas, etc. But I've lately thought "well maybe thats the appeal of Chicago. They do the best with what they have. Why not try to make a flat, industrial age city appealing and attractive."

I know for a nature buff like me, I look at the parks and say: "this isn't nature, this is manicured lawns and trucked in sand built on land fill junk." But I realize its important to have greenery for everyone. Not everyone has the time or money to drive 40-50 miles to places with more wild natural character."

There is something for everyone. If you are more into history, like me, there are many structure built in the 1800s (the water tower isn't the only structure that is pre-fire). U of C looks like Oxford, England. If other people are more into more modern stuff like what they see at Millenium, or the plans for these crazy buildings like the Spire then thats fine too.

I used to feel the need to be in places where everyone seemed to be into the same things that I was into (outdoor stuff: camping, hiking, fishing, etc). Thats why I went to college in boondock places like Upper Michigan, Rocky Mountains) etc. But it did get old after awhile.

I'm able to accept peoples differences more than I used too, and thats just what you have to do in Chicago.
 
Old 11-28-2007, 09:37 PM
 
Location: Seven Seven Three
431 posts, read 578,232 times
Reputation: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
For awhile I used to think it was slightly fake that Chicago should have such a beautiful lakefront, whereas large chunks away from the lakefront are rather gritty, with railyards, industrial areas, etc. But I've lately thought "well maybe thats the appeal of Chicago. They do the best with what they have. Why not try to make a flat, industrial age city appealing and attractive."

I know for a nature buff like me, I look at the parks and say: "this isn't nature, this is manicured lawns and trucked in sand built on land fill junk." But I realize its important to have greenery for everyone. Not everyone has the time or money to drive 40-50 miles to places with more wild natural character."
Soooo.. you expect a city with 3 million people not to have any trainyards or industrial areas? Wow..
 
Old 11-28-2007, 09:41 PM
 
Location: Chicago
35,926 posts, read 55,158,806 times
Reputation: 24543
Good God. Can we please let this thread die the silent death it so richly deserves? Christ.
 
Old 11-28-2007, 10:24 PM
 
Location: Chicago
15,589 posts, read 12,398,368 times
Reputation: 1761
No, I do not. I 2nd the motion. Let this die. Jesus...
 
Old 12-01-2007, 02:09 AM
 
11 posts, read 27,579 times
Reputation: 17
Default Fat shmat!

>>9. Health problems...voted the number one fattest city in America last year.

Of course we're fat. It's too cold and dark outside to run around outside and we're all sitting here in front of our computer screens.

Besides, like seals we need that extra fat to insulate us so when we hunt penguins we don't freeze. Excuse me now I need to flop over to that hole in the pack ice and catch me something, (maybe a cheeseburger?).
 
Old 12-01-2007, 10:41 AM
 
2,778 posts, read 5,304,098 times
Reputation: 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasabe View Post
>>9. Health problems...voted the number one fattest city in America last year.

Of course we're fat. It's too cold and dark outside to run around outside and we're all sitting here in front of our computer screens.

Besides, like seals we need that extra fat to insulate us so when we hunt penguins we don't freeze. Excuse me now I need to flop over to that hole in the pack ice and catch me something, (maybe a cheeseburger?).
I'm very tall and I have less body fat than most men, and significantly less body fat than other women. I don't know about you, but in the winter months I swim for exercise. You know? Indoor pools? Amazing how well it burns fat.

I understand the sarcastic tone in your post, it just irritates me that because we have an extended winter there's this stupid assumption that running=all the exercise there is
 
Old 12-01-2007, 12:34 PM
 
4,865 posts, read 5,453,719 times
Reputation: 3070
Quote:
Originally Posted by nidex View Post
Soooo.. you expect a city with 3 million people not to have any trainyards or industrial areas? Wow..
Of course I expect a city to have all that stuff. And its necessary to a city's economy. I just curious as to the glowing praise. I've seen pictures of Dallas, Houston, the nice parts of Detroit (the new riverwalk, etc.), Minneapolis. And wouldn't mind visiting these places. But no one gives any glowing compliments to those places. Even though I think Chicagos beauty is on par with those places. Chicago just has more tall buildings.

I never complain about Chicago, I just wonder why people elevate Chicago so far beyond those aforementioned places. If you praise Chicago, you should consider praising Houston. If you think Houston is ugly, you consider the possibiliy Chicagos ugly too. To me, they look pretty similar. I've only been to Houstons airport though.

But yes, I think this thread should just fade away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:54 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top