Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 07:46 PM

622 posts, read 1,196,141 times

Advertisements

addison and N oak park ave? that considered the north side?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 08:04 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,312,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewthedru View Post
addison and N oak park ave? that considered the north side?
That's northwest side, actually. We distinguish "north" from "northwest" based upon which side of the river you're on.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:42 PM

622 posts, read 1,196,141 times
ahhh....thanks.

yup. not enough $$ to get a house on the other side of the river. would have loved to but couldn't swing it.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:33 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomguymike View Post
Milwaukee & Indianapolis aren't dying nearly as fast as Detroit.
Milwaukee and Indianapolis are not dying at all......

Old 02-01-2010, 09:26 AM

818 posts, read 2,170,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Milwaukee and Indianapolis are not dying at all......
Agreed! Both are nice cities with multiple vibrant neighborhoods and are good day/weekend trips from Chicago. It's a real asset to us to have them nearby.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:35 AM

818 posts, read 2,170,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Chicago and Detroit were actually quite similar to each other from about 1910, (when Henry Ford started pumping out the first model Ts through the early '70s when the aftermath of the Race Riots, the leaving of Motown, and the election of Coleman Young, the beginning of foreign car competition, all lead to a domino effect of urban decline, that Detroit has not yet reversed to any meaningful way). Chicago was in danger of going the direction of Detroit, but there was a more stable political environment and a much more diversified economy, although still largely dependent on manufacturing through the 80s.
Chicago was far less dependent on the Automobile industry -- and manufacturing as a whole-- than Detroit. In Detroit, even many of the downtown office jobs are in some way related to the Auto industry (e.g. Chrystler HQs), while in Chicago's downtown there has always been a significant presence from the financial industry (banks, Prudential building, etc.). I do not credit our lousy politicians for preventing Chicago from becoming another Detroit as the machine's ardent supporters repeatedly do. Chicago and Detroit are similar in that hey have similar weather, and somewhat of a similar culture (big Midwest city surrounded by farms/ agriculture, unlike coastal cities), which is probably why so many people from the Detroit area chose to come here as opposed to New York, DC, LA, Miami, etc. when the economic opportunities dried up in Detroit. However, I'd stop giving credit to these lousy politicians; most of whom are or should be in jail. Chicago was more diversified as a city than Detroit, and far less dependent on industries that eventually declined. That is why Chicago is not dying along with Detroit.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:08 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,006 times
If I wear a Hawkeyes shirt on the Northside, seems like everyone wants to stop me and tell me they're from Iowa. Then again I've never worn a Wolverines shirt.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:44 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
^ yeah, I'm an Iowan on the north side. I always get people rolling their eyes when I wear a Hawkeye shirt and half the neighborhood wants to stop by and ask where I grew up. My friends say "WTF? Is there even anyone left in the state of Iowa or is it completely empty now?"

I would say by far the north side is made up of people from:

Suburban Chicago
Indiana
Ohio
Iowa
Michigan

Strangely I very rarely meet people who grew up in Wisonsin. I know in Iowa almost all young people who can afford to move away and have the desire will go to Chicago, Des Moines, Minneapolis, Iowa City and Phoenix.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:58 PM

3,439 posts, read 3,366,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
^ yeah, I'm an Iowan on the north side. I always get people rolling their eyes when I wear a Hawkeye shirt and half the neighborhood wants to stop by and ask where I grew up. My friends say "WTF? Is there even anyone left in the state of Iowa or is it completely empty now?"

I would say by far the north side is made up of people from:

Suburban Chicago
Indiana
Ohio
Iowa
Michigan

Strangely I very rarely meet people who grew up in Wisonsin. I know in Iowa almost all young people who can afford to move away and have the desire will go to Chicago, Des Moines, Minneapolis, Iowa City and Phoenix.
That's interesting that younger Iowans only strongly consider Des Moines and Iowa City. I thought Ames, and Cedar Rapids to a lesser extent, were also considered strong magnets for twentysomethings to relocate to in Iowa, but what do I know?

Old 02-01-2010, 02:56 PM

5,977 posts, read 13,112,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJaye View Post
Chicago was far less dependent on the Automobile industry -- and manufacturing as a whole-- than Detroit. In Detroit, even many of the downtown office jobs are in some way related to the Auto industry (e.g. Chrystler HQs), while in Chicago's downtown there has always been a significant presence from the financial industry (banks, Prudential building, etc.). I do not credit our lousy politicians for preventing Chicago from becoming another Detroit as the machine's ardent supporters repeatedly do. Chicago and Detroit are similar in that hey have similar weather, and somewhat of a similar culture (big Midwest city surrounded by farms/ agriculture, unlike coastal cities), which is probably why so many people from the Detroit area chose to come here as opposed to New York, DC, LA, Miami, etc. when the economic opportunities dried up in Detroit. However, I'd stop giving credit to these lousy politicians; most of whom are or should be in jail. Chicago was more diversified as a city than Detroit, and far less dependent on industries that eventually declined. That is why Chicago is not dying along with Detroit.
Maybe even back then, it was less dependent on manufacturing than Detroit was, but Chicago was still much more dependent on manufacturing for most of the 20th century than San Fran, D.C., NYC (although New Jersey was), Boston (althought Boston had textiles earlier), etc., etc.

Chicago was THE biggest manufacturing center in the U.S. It was a more diversified range of manufacturing than Detroit, and yes even then it had the financial side, but no doubt about, Chicago was THE major manufacturing center. At the time it was the microcosm for other Great Lakes cities.

Chrsyler was never headquartered in downtown Detroit. It was first in Highland Park, MI then moved north to Auburn Hills. GM is headquartered in the Ren Cen. Detroit did have a stock exchange until 1976 in a area of their downtown that was known as the financial district. The Guardian building was called the cathedral of finance. Detroit had the foundation to build on when manufacturing was declining. They just blew it. Today there are offices of Electronic Data Systems, headquarts Compuware, and was the headquarters for Comerica Bank until they moved to Dallas. Quicken Loans, a Livonia-based mortgage company is moving its headquarters there this year. Not EVERYTHING there is automotive.

Chicago may have always had more of a financial economy, but it was still the major manufacturing center. The local cultural roots of Chicago, reflects the working class heritage (love of baseball and pizza), and many of Chicagos problems (its crime, its school system, etc.) are ultimately a product of it being a huge industrial city. If it wasn't a major industrial city, with a population originally attracted by industrial jobs, the city and its demographics would be very different today.

I don't like the corruption anymore than anyone else. But there is no denying that major projects built during the first Daley adminstration, are crucial to Chicagos economy today. McCormick Place, O'Hare, UIC, the three tallest buildings before Trump Tower, etc. etc.

Chicago took major hits from the decline in the meatpacking industry in the 50s and 60s, major hits from steel industry decline in 70s and 80s, as well as electronics plants, candy-making plants, etc. Chicago was bigger and more economically diverse than other Great Lakes cities, but it stil a microcosm of that world. Today its a model for how those cities can rebound. Which some have (Pittsburgh) and are making strides to (St. Louis, Milwaukee, and somewhat Cleveland).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago