Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 11:22 AM

3 posts, read 68,458 times

Advertisements

I am a 22 year old female who has been living in Chicago for six months. My grad school is in the area of the IIT campus (Bronzeville) though I currently live closer to Park Ridge.

I am looking to move closer to my campus but I don't know much about the different neighborhoods in Chicago and I am worried I'll move into a bad area. Being in grad school, I don't have much spare time to do any in depth research so I am hoping I can quickly narrow some areas down. I am hoping to keep my rent around $1,000 and I do have a car, so any areas that usually include some sort of parking would be a plus. Thank you in advanced!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 11:27 AM

I should also note that I spend most of my time studying, so I am not looking for a typical "exciting" neighborhood. Something quiet, safe, a nice would be ideal.

Old 01-31-2010, 03:33 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,445,129 times
Bridgeport, Armour Square or McKinley Park are both quiet and safe by city standards. Parking is easier in McKinley Park than the former two but it's doable in all three. You'll be able to find a place for much less that $1000 and if you'd like you can rent a garage with the extra dough.

All three are on train lines, if you'll use them, and close to your school. You'll retrieve a lot of lost time from your current commute.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:47 PM

445 posts, read 1,344,294 times
The Urban Rule of Two

Safe, Cheap, Convenient- You can choose two.

Given your criteria I'd suggest Bridgeport, but "safe" anywhere in Chicago is a very relative deal, particularly for a young woman. That said, Bridgeport is purdy safe in most parts. You'll be able to look around and immediately identify what parts those are by using common sense.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:24 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,255,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPlayer1 View Post
The Urban Rule of Two

Safe, Cheap, Convenient- You can choose two.

Given your criteria I'd suggest Bridgeport, but "safe" anywhere in Chicago is a very relative deal, particularly for a young woman. That said, Bridgeport is purdy safe in most parts. You'll be able to look around and immediately identify what parts those are by using common sense.
x2. In the morning, you can see the mass exodus of walkers, bikers..etc heading east on 31st and 35th to head to IIT. I think a lot of their students live here.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:25 AM

818 posts, read 2,171,719 times
If you live in the neighborhoods near Park Ridge (Norwood Park, Eddison Park, O'Hare) you are going to have to realize that those are by far the safest neighborhoods in the city, and are actually safer than a lot of suburbs in terms of crime index. Bridgeport and McKinley Park are safe and definitely your best bet given your criteria. I would just caution you not to expect suburban levels of safety.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:54 PM

Thank you all for your help! I know that safe is a relative term in a urban area which is why I am very wary about where I have been looking for apartments. It seems like a block or two on either side of a "safe" area can become unsafe very quickly.

It is slightly depressing because I do really like the Park Ridge area, especially after living here for several months and enjoying the suburban levels of safety (especially since I am not a city girl!). However, the commute is slowly starting to hamper my study time and I sometimes wonder if it would be a better trade of to live somewhere closer to school, even though it is not quite as safe. At the very least, I have some ideas of where I could possibly look.

As another quick question, I have heard that far south of the city areas start becoming safer again. Is there any truth to this and if it is, is it safe to assume that I'd have to go just as far south of my school as I am north now?

Old 02-03-2010, 09:37 PM

On the far south side, Beverly, Mt. Greenwood and the western parts of Morgan Park are safe. They are very safe by city standards and have a tranquil suburban feel to them.

I suppose that with no traffic, you could probably get to IIT in 15-20 minutes using the Ryan

Old 02-03-2010, 09:53 PM

1 posts, read 22,662 times
Edison Park/Jefferson Park. Any further than that it will be too expensive or unsafe. Drive through some of the neighborhoods that people have mentioned and see how you like them and the proximity between them and slums.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 126p View Post
Edison Park/Jefferson Park. Any further than that it will be too expensive or unsafe. Drive through some of the neighborhoods that people have mentioned and see how you like them and the proximity between them and slums.
What's the point of moving a small bit in? Those are both really far from Bronzeville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: