U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 02:51 AM

26 posts, read 28,188 times

Advertisements

I'm just wondering what's the music scene like there. Are people accepting of new local bands/artists? Is it hard to get venues to pay attention to you there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 07:56 AM

1,986 posts, read 1,759,723 times
You will get gigs, anyone can get gigs.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:46 AM

1,464 posts, read 3,722,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ren&stimpy View Post
I'm just wondering what's the music scene like there. Are people accepting of new local bands/artists? Is it hard to get venues to pay attention to you there?
You will probably start off in local bars or carnivals, but that is no different than anyone else... Unless you are the next Adam Lambert or something and go and audition for Randy, and Simon and give Seacrest a hug.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:09 PM

15,589 posts, read 13,056,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
You will get gigs, anyone can get gigs.
Yeah well getting gigs that pay anything or pay any amount worthwhile are getting harder and harder to find

Old 02-02-2010, 02:51 PM

1,986 posts, read 1,759,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Yeah well getting gigs that pay anything or pay any amount worthwhile are getting harder and harder to find
Yes, of course. If nobody knows who your band is you'll be paying the rent from your day job for sure.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:52 PM

Okay I see, but nobody answered my question....

Old 02-02-2010, 10:09 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,230,047 times
Generally you have to provide a sample of your music. Gigs pay nothing. My son is in a band and they play at all the local spots, Lincoln Hall, Double door, empty bottle, shubas, bottom lounge etc. There is no money in it whatsoever. Any pay you get will buy you dinner and maybe pay for parking and gas. If you are good and develop a following, you might catch on but a thousand other bands are also trying to do the same thing. By the way they are a local band living in Chicago and grew up in the area.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:43 AM

Thanks Toria,

yeah I know I'll have to play for free. That's what I've been used to doing over the past few months. Does your son and his band ever get sick and tired of playing those spots over and over again? I've been researching Chicago a lot and I was very surprised to see that there really aren't that many places for a local band to perform.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:53 AM

418 posts, read 653,126 times
Personally, Chicago wouldn't be somewhere I would move to as a musician. The midwest as a whole is not as accepting of local musicians as the coastal regions are. People here are more used to being force fed what's on American Idol or the radio. Not to say that the midwest doesn't have a good music scene, there are just a far greater amount of supporters of local music in places like NYC, Boston, LA, SF/Oakland, etc..

Old 02-03-2010, 05:04 AM

36,382 posts, read 57,247,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ren&stimpy View Post
Thanks Toria,

yeah I know I'll have to play for free. That's what I've been used to doing over the past few months. Does your son and his band ever get sick and tired of playing those spots over and over again? I've been researching Chicago a lot and I was very surprised to see that there really aren't that many places for a local band to perform.
Schuba's, Double Door, Subterranean, Beat Kitchen, Martyr's, The Hideout, Empty Bottle, Metro, Smart Bar, Dark Room, Kinetic Playground, Cobra Lounge, Gallery Cabaret, Cubby Bear, Old Town School of Folk Music, Abbey Pub, Lincoln Hall, Elbo Room, Logan Square Auditorium, Sylvie's, Funky Buddha, The Store, Reggie's... and those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head, so I'm sure I missed quite a few. How many more would you like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago